Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoke alarm

• 12-01-2020 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I have an eclipse photoelectric type smoke alarm model SGD1236 the issue is that it goes off in the middle of night for no reason, I have also come home from work and it’s been going off for no reason no smoke no cooking, only heat on timer to come on. I have changed the battery still happening. It sets off all the other also. Even the heat one in the kitchen and garage. I know the one in the garage goes off with the dust when I was sweeping the floor it went off. Can’t find or understand why the one in the bedroom is going off any suggestions. It can go off twice a week then nothing for 8 weeks then it goes off again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Replace it. How old is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

Replace it. How old is it.

It’s only 2 yrs old complete refrub of house done and they were newly fitted. I also have vacuumed the dust out of it still no joy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

marieky21 wrote: »
    It’s only 2 yrs old complete refrub of house done and they were newly fitted. I also have vacuumed the dust out of it still no joy,

Replace the faulty one.

It goes off then sometimes it stops after few mins, when it’s going off how do I know which one is the faulty one as they do be all going off. Constant red light..

Thank you for all your replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

This happened to me recently and a tiny spider was in it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Stigura

^^^ That was my own first thought. But, they've hoovered it out? Most hoovers suck up spiders.

Dunno if OP had the hoover so throttled back, so's not to suck the guts out of the detector? Burst of fly spray, maybe? Lump hammer? (I couldn't live with a system that cried wolf)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭fcukreg

The Eclipse SGD1236 smoke alarm is an Irish builders favourite(i.e. its the cheapest muck on the market). The fault you describe is a common fault with these units & usually occurs between 2-5 years service. Don't bother getting a new SGD1236…replace it with a quality unit like the Aico EI3016 (10yr rechargeable lithium battery & 5 year warranty).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭con747

4 year old thread so I think the issue is solved.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 funi1234

Why would they all need changing? if others are still working?

It's a recommendation to swop them all out for aico/ei

Maybe he can find an identical replacement if he wants to go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Infinity Loop

Hello,

I've an eclipse SGD1236 fire alarm system across the house. It was installed by the builders when this house was built in 2017.

Not surprised to hear it's the cheapest of the cheap solution.

I'm wondering, as they are interconnected, where when one goes off they all go off alarming, if it's possible to replace just one with the recommended Aico fire alarm product instead please?

Can't really afford to replace them all in one go right now, but don't want to waste money buying a new eclipse alarm if in a year I'll be able to replace them all.

Also wondering, how do you know which is better and why? Is there a rating system or spec to look for when comparing please?

Thanks for your time and insights.

Afaik you would have to switch entirely to EI.

No idea if different manufacturers are compatible. It's not done .

The basic EI model would be mains photoelectric alarm with wired interconnect and 9v battery backup ( EI146e)

You can step up to 10yr battery backup but it's not necessary

It's a sign of a cowboy tradesman that will use the likes of eclipse imo.

There's a few variations on that eclipse style smoke alarm ( different brands)

The basic alarm is supplied with a 3-wire lead that plugs into unit in pic

It requires a separate base with terminals for the lead and supply cables

This base is usually not fitted and the lead and connectors are shoved into void space

Absolute junk

Advertisement