Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭threeball

Every call is potentially game deciding in hurling. Giving a free for a throw ball on the half way line can be game deciding if you win or lose by a point. There's no non game deciding decisions. Its not like soccer or football where giving a throw in the wrong way can potentially lose a team a game. The ball would need to go through at least 2 to 3 more phases of play before a score, not so in hurling. There's players that would slice it over the bar from 60m out.

He got the yellow wrong on McInerney but it was a crowded area and could you really send off a guy in an All Ireland unless you were 100% sure. A penalty wasn't on the cards as Adam Hogan was covering across and Quilligan was much closer to the ball than O'Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The GAA will be much happier praising a referee instead of the old version where he'd be slated and ripped apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

You're right they'll be damned either way. But after after seeing this version of it I don't think it's fair on amateur sportsmen. The star's of both teams were absolutely banjaxed after full time.

At least in football it's played at pedestrian pace and neither team has to go hell for leather. That's not possible in hurling and they're absolutely killing eachother in extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭High bike

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I agree with you but just to note that some of the reasons why everyone wanted extra time were based around the players being amateurs… e.g the players are only amateurs and they've mentally prepared for this day, planned holidays, made work and family commitments and why should they have to go through it all again so the GAA can have another pay day. Also, the fans were mentioned and how they've to pay out huge money and travel and the atmosphere for a replay is never the same etc

I don't know what the perfect solution is and personally as I said, I'd have loved a replay. It is nice though that the panel players got to have such an influence after a long hard year. I think we'd all just love to see the sporting spectacle we witnessed for a second time! The 2012 final comes to mind. Two fantastic games and the perfect advertisement for a replay scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It's perfectly fair on them.

This poor mouth nonsense when it comes the GAA players is really tedious, there's fellas competing in the Olympics doing much more training and competing against much better opposition and you don't hear them or people on their behalf whining all the time about the arduous nature of what they do.

I'd argue the extra time is harder in the footballers at least the hurler can lthe the ball do the work and watch it sail over their heads all the time and not have to be constantly running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Rosita

From what I can make out only a minority (often old timers) want replays. If extra time is too much of a challenge why not go straight to penalties. This might also discourage referees from levelling up games (or so some people are convinced).

Certainly there's no need to drag the championship out, it's plenty long as it is And there's no reason why an All Ireland Final should have a different rule applying than a semi final for example. Why should the semi finalists or quarter finalists not be equally entitled to a replay before their season ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I agree, players these days whether 'amateur' or professional are a lot fitter than days of yore. And lets face it, amateurism only really exists in name in the bigger county GAA scene. They should be able to play the extra time and ideally finish it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Rosita

In principle, I'd tend to agree and have little time for the "they're professional in all but name" attitude. But, to be fair to the point being made, there wouldn't be too many Olympic events that last an hour and a half.

But dragging the season out unnecessarily with a replay is not on. When a World Cup final (rugby and soccer) can be decided on penalties so can an All Ireland final if needs be.

• Advertisement

They should be prepared for playing extra time particularly as it is much more common these days, it's not that much of an imposition to ask them to play an extra 20 minutes.Overtime is part of every ball sport in the world, so it really isn't unfair to expect GAA players to be able to cope with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,773 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

And if the referee was applying the rules to the letter and very strict. You would have had the analysts/fans saying that was harsh, he should let the game flow it's a man's game etc.

The poor auld ref can't win no matter what he does.

I can tell you now the neutrals enjoyed that final, and there was more neutrals watching than those from the participating counties. It will be one of those replayed on channels/videos for years.

It makes a change from the one sided/foregone conclusion type finals we had in recent years.

Since 2016 there was only three other close finals 2017 -2018 -2022.

2016, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2023 five finals - were non events for neutrals.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

the whole country would have come to a standstill for episode 2 of that match.

Sayin it shouldn’t have gone to a replay is like saying Christmas should only be every 4 yrs..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Fair play to Clare, fully deserving of the win.

People will be going on about Tony Kelly and Shane O'Donnell (both phenomenal) but for me, the half back line were just immense.

As a Cork fan I'm gutted but it seems quite straightforward: Cork are still way too soft unfortunately. You're not going to get the wins from the ref, you need to make your own luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Too soft is right. Should have tackled a few Clare fellas in the same manner we were being tackled, didn't take our chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

In the face of the usage of absolutely horrifying ageist terms such as "old fogies" and "old timers" that has crept into this thread over the last few hours I'd like to reiterate that I really enjoyed the game yesterday, I can't remember being so invested in a game not involving my own county before

I did make a couple of posts pointing out that the referee's performance greatly contributed to the game as a spectacle, that I expected it and understood Murphy's reasons for his approach but could also understand Cork's grievances with the performance

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭supernova5

will people please wake up and stop giving this WUM poster oxygen, he/she has zero to contribute to this hurling forum

On Cork being too nice, it is interesting that the team that won had a full back line where for at least two out of the three players in it, the ball was a secondary concern. As we saw in the semi final and again yesterday Hogan and Cleary's main objective was to stop their opponent playing. There were even a couple of instances on TV where the ball was within a hurls length of Cleary and he made absolutely no attempt to play it, he just kept his opponent locked up and away from the ball. And Hogan as usual tested the integrity of the jerseys of any Cork forward that came near him. Both Hogan and Cleary managed to do this while spending most of the afternoon on a yellow card too. So maybe there is a lesson there for the Cork backs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭littlevillage

The Ref Johnny Murphy was out on his feet by the end. Should have main Ref who hangs around the middle and two assistant refs, one on each 20 yrd line. (or shock horror, actually make use of the umpires)

Johnny Murphy fell over on his own at one stage and in another incident bumped into a player and busted his forehead.

He was like a lad trying to make his way home after having a rake of pints 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Was a great game from start to finish. I thought Clare looked a bit edgy at the start and Cork were on fire and when Downey scored that goal i was worried the game could get from Clare.

From then until the ft whistle Clare were the stronger team. Their half backs got on top. Shane O Donnell really helped the Clare revival in the second quarter of the first half. Won a lot of hard ball and set up some great scores. Some of Clare's interchange and close up hand passing was excellent. To go in at the break level i felt Clare had the advantage after being so far behind.

The second half Tony Kelly came roaring into the game scoring a goal as good if not better than Downey in the first half. Clare looked good coming down the home straight three points in front but credit to Cork they fought hard until the end helped in no part by Aaron Shanagher who was a total disaster (everything he touched turned to shyte).

The Robbie O Flynn spurned goal chance followed by a quick Clare point seemed pivotal moment in extra time. Flynn really should have scored that last missed point regardless of his jersey being pulled. It was terrible miss.

I thought the referee had a good game overall. Missed a couple like the Harnedy blocked chance that should have been a 65 (surprised his umpires didnt see that) but let the game flow.

What a win for the banner. Since Loughnane/Daly and co brought them back to hurlings top table in the 90's Clare have played in five All Ireland finals winning four and beating Tipp (once) and Cork (twice) in three of them. A fantastic record and they show a real mental strength on the games biggest day. A never say die attitude. Deserving winners. League and All Ireland double winners. 2024 belongs to Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Absolutely correct. It's crazy that the guys and gals in the media, pundits etc. are going down this route. It's very obvious in the hurling that they are trying to portray it as a man's game, and let it flow. I’m more into football than hurling – I was watching the Armagh Kerry game last weekend. And had the BBC commentary on. Phily McMahon from Dublin was on; and the amount of times that he said on a refs call that he (Philly) knows that the discretion is against the rules, but the ref should let it go “for the good of the game”. He said he would have no problem with that. I know he Was trying to act on the hard-man mantra, but to me, that is ridiculous. Either encourage the refs to implement the rules, or change the rules appropriately. You can’t have a situation where it is left up to the ref to show discretion as to how much they should let go to make the game an entertaining spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,042 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wouldn't be a fan of a hurling final being decided on penalties. The concept just feels like a more natural fit in some sports like soccer and ice hockey for instance.

It feels even less a fit in rugby than it does in hurling but I can understand that it's a necessary evil in a big international tournament where a replay can't be booked that easy.

Shanagher must be the most relieved man in Clare right now. Obviously he has been excellent for Clare on many occasions but things didn't happen for him yesterday, to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

Dust has finally settled, what a game, it was a real privilege to be up there to witness it. I'm delighted Clare got over the line, but still maintain there's next to nothing between the two teams and certainly wouldn't have begrudged Cork the victory.

Im also glad that the posters on here that genuinely know a bit about hurling acknowledged that Clare have been knocking on the door a few years now and certainly deserve it. As someone pointed out, this will fire up Limerick for next year, no doubt Cork as well. Waterford probably feel they should gotten farther aswell. I honestly can't wait for the 2025 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

i was shocked when he took the field in extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭supernova5

Yaba, you summed it up very well, this victory is 5 years in the making for Clare, it has been the culmination of incredible resilience, courage and sheer will. they had to go toe to toe with and suffer the deep frustration and heartache of being edged out of 3 Munster finals by what is likely one of the greatest hurling teams ever. A lot of this team have huge mileage on the clock and it took immense character to keep coming back for more and refusing to believe they were second best.

with the standard of hurling now winning a League and All Ireland championship a very big accomplishment and there is no doubt that Clare are the best team of 2024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Ridiculous article.

A little shirt pull will have the Cork crowd whinging for years. Clare have had plenty of decisions go against them and not a peep about it. Munster final last year is one of them.

Cork have been far to soft a team in hurling for 2 decades & this incessant complaining about a play that should never have happened, as the time was up, is only further hampering Corks chances of actually accepting and fixing their own limitations.

Cork lost the game because they blew a 7 point lead & insisted on continuing with a long ball game plan that Clare adapted to and destroyed them in the air.

If Cork spend all Winter blaming the referee they won't progress from Munster next year.

Advertisement