Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I told you about the referees last week, as charity ring would say he will let you away with ten steps on the ball

In Johnny Murphy's position he seems to let everything go ,it's very hard not to be annoyed with 3 fouls Conor lean avoided especially the Robbie one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Rosita

Can you confirm the ages of Horgan and Conlon please?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,163 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ye deserved it. Ye were hard, tough and the skill for the goals was unreal.

Clare did what Kilkenny, Tipp and Limerick did in past. Take no prisoners.

That 1-4 from Kelly will go down in history..what a genius up there with the greatest.

Cork will win sweet **** all till they toughen up, stop feeling sorry for themselves and actually just become ruthless.

If we don't learn from this twill be another 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

This letting it go/letting the game flow philosophy is a load of total and utter effing bullshit. What's the point in having rules if they aren't being applied? Should we just abolish the rules and let the game of hurling be a free for all so?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's the reality at intercounty level and largely driven by TV pundits and a media who expect referees not to "ruin matches" by doing something crazy like applying the rules.

Look at the sh*storm in 2019 when Richie Hogan was rightly sent off for Kilkenny for an elbow straight to the head of the Tipp player. The referee was eviscerated in the media for not showing "common sense" and for "ruining the match". There's massive pressure on referees so they will tend to "let it go".

Of course nobody cares when it's a "great game" like yesterday and the losing team will be seen as moaners. Cork need to learn that there's no prizes for playing nice. Limerick, Kilkenny and Clare have shown that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭John.G

Could the ref have awared a free after the shot was taken, assuming he saw the jersey pull?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

of course he could and should’ve. But after a nights sleep, we didn’t do enough on our own puck outs! We should’ve went for the jugular after the first goal! I read Brian Gavin’s article this morning and he’s right the ref had a good game but the 3 most controversial decisions he made went against one team. If only he got one right we’d be gearing up for a replay in a fortnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 OnTheCorner

Hilarious stuff in here. Apparently it’s Kilkennys fault that Cork have now gone 20 years without winning the All Ireland! Oh, and you guys are just too nice to win it! Would you ever get off the stage lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

I wonder what was the number of wides and the number of frees given on both sides? I felt that the ref let the game flow more than most other refs would. Apart from the match being a spectacle of the highest order to watch another aspect of the occasion was the packed full house- 80,000 +- and NO REPORT OF ANY VIOLANCE. Long May it continue. And when you consider that a panoramic view showed yellow mixed with red/red mixed with yellow.

YOU CA’NT SAY THAT. Who would have ever thought , say two years ago, the Limerick, Kilkenny and Tipperary -BUT ESPECIALLY LIMERICK - would not be in the 2024. All Ireland Final. Sam e re senior football think Kerry and Dublin

• Advertisement

Jerry O Malley - played senior football for Roscommon, I. Think- was a top class and consistent footballer but never won anything bar a Railway!? Cup medal or the equivalent in football

the linesmen also missed some calls . Rte even played by slow motion a wrong call that went CORK’S way. It’s disappointing that RTE does not play more issues in slow motion eg thrown balls instead of hand passes. I reckon it’s embedded in the GAA HQ?

If we listen to this we go nowhere. Let's hope not. Time will tell.

Is it not great for the game to spread the ‘LOVE ‘ around’. Would it not be the death knell to hurling if Cork won every other year?

It's great for game. End of. Can cork people not be disappointed they lost though? Like every other county when they lose final?

In fairness that's a load of bullshit when you're waiting almost twenty years to win the all Ireland.

It's all well and good saying that we need to get tough and physical, but if we did some of the things Clare did yesterday the cards wouldn't be long coming out. There's a different set of rules when it comes to Cork so there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Looking at the match again last night , was the referee concussed after the belt he got?….his hamstring seemed gone as well for a finish up?….he could hardly walk for a finish…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I would have been happy with the draw tbh. My biggest issue with Cork was the insistence on the long puck outs. After 20 mins it was clear that the Clare half backs were cleaning up - yet we kept at it for the majority of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭crossman47

Cork backs were too nice. Any other top team would have stopped Rogers and Kelly by fair means or foul before they got near the goal. Part of the problem is that refs in Cork club games blow up far too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Too nice.

As far as I'm concerned there's no AI in this team until they toughen up unfortunately.

Great players and gave us a very entertaining season but no guile or ruthlessness to them right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Figerty

Tim O'Mahony had his number early on, O'Mahony scored some fantastic points but Kelly just keeps going, picks up snatches of balls, but when put on the road like for the goal, it's so hard to lay a hand on him. Some magic to change a game, but what a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TipperaryFox

Hard to believe Cork have not won one for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭lmk123

ah no, they’ll win loads of all Ireland’s if they get good refs 😂

All jokes aside it’s good to see a few cork lads like yourself that aren’t delusional anyway. It’s brilliant reading some of the other rubbish here 😃

There is an AI in that Cork team, but you will have to replace Horgan. No disrespect to him, but he is being carried in general play for his free taking. He limits the management options, he can only play Corner or Full forward at this stage. All six Clare forwards yesterday wound up mixing up position and at various times it looked like they were putting a shift in out the field before rotating back.

When Cork beat Limerick one of the positives was that Colm Lyons could not be refereeing. He blows every little challenge, tip of the hurley or contact. Yesterday, the ref allowed the backs to get the hurleys in front and get to the ball from behind. Watch Conor Lean or others not pull, they put the hurley in. I reckon Clare had better homework done on the referee's style of reffing that Cork had.. and we were able to play closer to the edge as a result. I think we actually 'won' very few frees but haven't see the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,765 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

According to the Irish Examiner, Cork lost the first 13 long puckouts yesterday, it was the 33rd minute before they won one.

Clare scored 7 points off the Cork puckout in the first half.

Why did the Cork management continue with the same tactic when it simply wasnt working,they surely should have tried to mix it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep, Clare played closer to the edge. I think it might be called "playing the ref" but I don't mean that in the negative sense. unfortunately for Cork just a bit too innocent. Which is a bit of a mad turnaround for a team that had two red cards this Championship!

That's what we were thinking in the stands.. why keep feeding the lions with high balls.. Cleary, Conlon, McInerney and Ryanb were all ready for the aerial battle and man-marked. They stared with their men and didn't play zones. We also needed to score to make sure we were facing Cork puckout rather than trying to win our own. It was baffling that Cork seemed to be stuck in a game plan that wasn't working. The ref didn't allow quick puckouts after scores.. he's not supposed to so building a strategy on quick puckouts was risky.

Tony Kelly's goal was super but jaysus the Cork defenders just left him waltz all the way in to score.

• Advertisement

Big problem with the Cork sideline is Pat Ryan and the other management are too slow to react when things aren't going well. The persistence with the long puckouts when it was clear the Clare halfbacks were well on top was infuriating.

Advertisement