Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options
1134135136137138140»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Both things can be true. It isn't one or the other. The referee had a shocker and missed/let go blatant fouling and shirt pulling throughout the game. The 65 that wasn't given was a 2 point turnaround. He could barely move in extra time he was so unfit. Embarrassing display by him.

Equally Cork need to look at themselves. Persisting with a gameplan that Clare had figured out by the 20th minute was crazy. Actually it was amazing that they kept in touch for the whole game given that Clare dominated Cork's puckouts to the extent they did. The management team have a lot to answer for by not adapting during the game to counter Clare's dominance on the puckouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I'd have to disagree there. All the Cork fans around me on Hill 16/ 60 were fantastic . They were alot more gracious in defeat than we tend to be in Clare. The 3 big calls went against them . The tug on Robbie O flynn in the end was blatant. Don't get me wrong now...Clare edged it in general play but the ref definately let us off some big calls. We can't give out about Limerick refs ever again.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Did Clare get a point from a free in the second half?

David Fitzgerald is the championship top scorer from play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭French Toast

Correct afaik, I think I saw that graphic somewhere yesterday. Yesterday wasn’t his best display but still contributed.

🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭another36

I recall last year Donal Og after the Munster final saying a team shouldn't let a refs decision be the reason they 'could' have won a game. I assume that's why he made no story that the ref lost Cork the game. Look to other areas and improve those is what the team would be better focused on.

Swings and roundabouts and reality is better team won. Marginally.. but still the better team on the day. The talk of robbery is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Charlo30

A bit if a side issue. I knocked the game off after the final whistle but watch some of it back today. Jarleth Burns doesn't half love the sound of his own voice. I can't remember a GAA Presidents speech half as long as that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭crossman47

They did and that was for a player who just slipped without being touched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

A desperate ****, bitter piece of 'journalism' - especially for it to be the first article on the match yesterday when you open the sports pages. Two teams produced a match for the ages yesterday and to have that as the first piece on the game in the paper's sports supplement was a joke. That game yesterday could be analyzed to the last and you'll have decisions that could be given on both sides. Some days more of the breaks will go your way and other days they won't.

In fairness to Pat Ryan and most of the cork supporters they haven't taken this line which reflects well on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

The one thing worse than being beaten in the AI Final (by the better team) is having people put the boot in afterwards about being ungracious in defeat. Bloody hell.

OK we didn't get the ref's calls our way but also we shouldn't have needed them to go our way. Clare half-back line dominated, and some excellent individual pieces of play put Clare ahead.

I feel, looking back on it, that there were several moments where Cork didn't play well enough as a "team" either: where options of a good pass to a person with a better opportunity were missed. Several goal chances were missed. But on the flip side, there's no way I could have done what those players did, so no blame whatsoever: it just wasn't our day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Lohan won this AI in his 5th year as a manager - anyone able to remember the last time a manager was in a job so long previously before winning one? Typically they get 3-4 years and they're out the door if they haven't won one.

It'll be the same in the football this year, Joyce is there 5 years and McGeeney 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Same around me in the Davin. Cork fans going out of their way to congratulate the Clare fans around them. Young lads too. I was thinking fair play to them. Cork guy right beside me left in tears right after the final whistle. I felt sorry for him. He was really into it. I couldn't get any peace with the lady on the other side of me constantly on her phone - on about making dinners, and the dog, and what they were going to be doing that night. And then in and out to the bar and toilet. She was well sloshed by the end of it. She was obviously just there for the day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ground being prepared for a career in politics Imv, we already have Sean Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I was thinking the exact same thing. It went on for a while alright. But on the flip side, it was actually a really good speech, and had a bit of passion to it and personality - unlike when the GAA presidents have previously taken the mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I thought it was Keir Starmer until I heard the Nordie accent

• Registered Users Posts: 48 HurlingBoy

I think everyone was calling for a replay except Clare, but is probably a cry from all hurling fans for 1 more game. It is just not natural and actually quite sad that the hurling championship is finished for another year in the height of the summer. A replay in 2 weeks time would have been great for all hurling fans but with the split season the game is locked away for another 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,380 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Agree and we're still seeing club games go on into late in the year/early 2025

I thought this calendar was created to prevent that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭vetinari

I hate this view that people have that it doesn't matter that a referee decides a game. As in you should have found a way to win anyways. It does matter! In a match between two very even teams, big decisions not going your way can be exactly why you lose. Cork had about 5 big calls go against them, Clare had 1 from my recollection.

I get refs want the game to be free flowing but pushes in the back, jersey tugs, swipes with the hurley etc should always be called if they're blatant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Is there anywhere you can get the official stats from the game like possession/wides/frees ...etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No because the GAA unfortunately don’t use an official data provider so anything they have is in house. It’s garbage.

There’s a million ‘gaa stats’ type pages on Twitter now though (just can’t think of the names)

Prior to the match, we all knew that Murphy was going to let it go and clare took advantage of this and Cork didn't. Cork had opportunities to pull down both Kelly and Rodgers going for goal and would have got a yellow only but didn't while clare did, that what won the game for clare, playing on the edge with a bit of ruthlessness and physicality knowing that the ref was going to let a good bit go. Another example of this with Murphy were st thomas's matches against ballygunner and o loughlin gaels, the thomas's lads got going with allot.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭C4000

Did Clare make one substitution too many yesterday. Rule is five in normal time and another three in extra time.

Ryan Taylor, Ian Galvin, Aron Shanagher, Darragh Lohan and Robin Mounsey came on in normal time.

Aidan McCarthy, Cian Galvin, Shane Meehan and Seadna Morey came on in extra time.

Was any of these a blood sub or head injury assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I thought the lack of tracking subs on TV was a joke. That really needs to be improved.

aidan mccarthy started the extra time. extra time is considered a new game so you can change the team from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭C4000

• Registered Users Posts: 18,773 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Clare probably would the AI in 1998 as well. But they had to give a replay because the referee Jimmy Cooney blew the final whistle too early in the AISF v Offaly, then lost it the next day.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,163 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play to you.

And I add my congrats to ye.

Top team and ye more than deserved yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Melling Road

I thought that age would go against Clare but Lohan had his tactics right. The experience in victory and defeat. Close losses. Ability to come back when down and not panic all stood for Clare and then empty the bench when fresh legs were needed. Great half back line teamwork and the performance of O Donnell. Kelly, Peter Duggan, John Conlan were amazing. I'm Cork and all the genuine Cork hurling people acknowledged the great Clare hurling yesterday. Never mind the usual whingers. Hopefully this experience in defeat will stand to them

Advertisement