Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Scilly had a record of 48.9 degree's c.

Id say if ya walked out in that yad catch fire.

Think its all over exaggerated horseshit.

Next will be the atmosphere will catch fire and we'll all burn to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Redliketoast

The records only go back 100 years and are constantly labled as unverfied form back then. I mean ffs someone claimed the temp at Death Valley went to 90 degrees C in the 70's.

With less than 50 years of reliable data, we cant say for certain that temps were not like this 1000 years ago. Yes there are estimations and ways they measure such as Ice cores, Tree rings, Corals etc. But many of these can suffer from confirmation bias.

I am not an expert. But I also refuse to be told "trust us bro".

Does climate change exist? Yes

If we all stop using fossil fuels and eliminate our carbon footprint, will climate stop changing? No

• Registered Users Posts: 18,319 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Once you have "data collection" and models one isnt discussing science anymore but human bias and error. One thing you can always bet against is a model 100 years out, you can take that to the goddamn bank as they say

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I suggest you step out in that for a few hours and report back - if you can.

These are sufficiently exceptional events happening in very densely populated areas that the chance of not having records of similar in the past are frankly zero. We have had thermometers for a few hundred years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

How many days did it hit 45C In Croatia in a row?
    You do know 45C is not 50C?

...approaching 50c.

It takes one day at approaching 50c to kill you.

There were recently two reports of British tourists going out in those conditions and dying. Both simply keeled over under the stress.

That’s not what the poster was talking about whatsoever.
    We all know 50C is bad for humans- however you said parts of Europe were getting 50C and that there would be a significant increase in deaths this month.

Where in Europe has consistently hit 50C?

Croatia has hit 45C for one day which is 5C cooler than 50C- did anyone die in Croatia directly from the heat on that day?

Heat stroke deaths are rarely recorded as such unless the patient is taken into hospital. Most wil manifest as some other unrelated organ failure. The level of fatalities is only revealed when temps are compared to excess deaths - many months later.

The two British deaths I mentioned are unlikely to be recorded as heatstroke deaths even though heat is the main factor in both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,319 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

comparing like for like will not be possible in many places. I saw a viral clip of a dude pushing ice blocks into a pool in Doha. Going back a 100 years Doha probably didnt exist (guessing ,maybe it did) but the point is it would have cooled down more a night time so it would have heated up from a lower point and if temp was measured at all there would be all kinds of issues with consistancy and measuring techniques.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

But you said 50C.
    You never said anything about approaching 50C.
    I believe that’s called moving the goalposts.
    45C is 5C off 50C just so you know.

Yes but maybe you could answer the question I asked?

Where in Europe has consistently hit 50C?

Read back, approaching 50c.

I then pointed out that all the effects manifest in the zone between 40-50c, the temps been sustained in southern Europe in the latest heatwave.

If your post says that it’s because you edited it after.

Has anywhere in Europe hit 50C this year yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭yagan

The way the Green hystericals go on about high temps you'd think that heat was never a contributing factor in deaths before recorded temperatures.

Maybe because we have new generations who grew up in very engineered environments that they simply view the natural world with fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

That 48.8°C record raises questions about the quality of the station and the siting of it.

Not really. There has been extensive work trying to discredit the weather station network - and it resulted in those attempting it having to acknowledge that the data was correct and even biased low.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

We're almost there! Just in the last couple of days, just need someone to blame the sun..

It's not 40°C across much of Spain. There's a handful of stations in the interior south and east reporting 40+°C which quite frankly is a regular feature of the Spanish summer there.

No need for sensationalising.

• Advertisement

Yes really, there's no need for 'extensive work trying to discredit the weather station network' as a fair proportion of the stations do that all by themselves. Rubbish quality digital sensors in rubbish quality sites will result in rubbish data.

Perhaps some folk need to take a closer look at the state of the equipment and the sites used to collect weather data before jumping up and down in hysterics. Behind every single 'last month was the hottest ever' headline is a glorified computer plotting a model of what it thinks was the temperature in a given area.

Here's the health warning given on the website that produces 'estimates'. Funny how the clearly stated disclaimer gets omitted from virtually every news article gleaned from such data:

Sorry but a lad on the internet bitching about something he really has no knowledge of isn't going to discredit the weather station network. I watched over 10 years semi-experts fail to achieve that and end up looking like idiots.

Really? Thats the level of rebuke?

Here's the thing, grounded people who don't get swept up in a fanatical frenzy haven't been making doomsday prediction after doomsday prediction which have failed and failed time again to materialise to the point the self-contradict and make no apology for doing so.

Everywhere is warming faster than everywhere else. C'mon man.

That is the level that your comments warranted - when you have something more than I don't believe it then the rebuke might improve.

Europe has warmed by around 3 degrees above the preindustrial levels and is commonly experiencing heatwaves 10degress above normal.

Britain experienced 40c for the first time ever recorded last year.

There is complacency no hysteria. The records are clear that Europe is experience more exceptional weather conditions since records began including sever life threatening heatwaves.

Deaths from heat have increased by 17 in 100,000 over the last decade, and as I said before this has only just started.

Was heat always recorded as a mortality factor in previous centuries?

For instance it's only in recent decades that we're getting accurate figures on suicide because previously religious taboo drove the narrative, so is heat being cited now as a primary cause now because of the environmental narrative.

Plus we're now in a rapidly aging Europe where deaths will outnumber births, so more deaths of the inform could be a factor in compounding the doomster agenda.

This represents the deaths which are easily identifiable as directly heat related - such as heat stroke. The data for heat strokes will go back at least 50 years so this is where the trend is been generated from.

Frankly I find it incredible that anyone would argue that heatwaves haven't significantly increased across Europe over the last few decades.

I'm getting more into the numbers as they're used. Societies in the med have had siestas long before the doomster agenda.

But they came into existence because of heat.

That's the point. Long before the environmental doomsters took the podium societies had structured daily routines to counter heatstroke.

Plus thanks to modern medicine we are living longer and there's increasingly more of us heading towards vulnerable dotage.

I'm not not arguing that there isn't climate change, but I'm challenging any doomster assertions that mortality trends are being driven by climate change.

I guess some need to feel they're doing something, but you could light a penny candle too.

• Advertisement

Again, I am just repeating the evidence as outlined by scientists. There is nothing doomster about that.

Advertisement