Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sdgsgrfs

The vice presidential pick has put a big question mark on Trumps chances of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭squonk

I can’t see how Biden can stay in. The jokes were always there that he was old and doddery but he got by and looked mostly competent. Things seem to have gone very downhill lately though. I’d sooner see him re-elected if the choice was him or Trump but I honestly couldn’t say he’ll be in a state to do the job by the end of next year let along up til 28. That’s the huge problem. He just doesn’t inspire confidence. I can’t believe the democrats let it get this far. Mind you he seemed fairly well last year during his visit here. Something has happened in the meantime though.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭eire4

They for sure thankfully missed an opportunity with the pick of the Vance who is just another authoritarian, misogynistic, homophobic bigot so he really does not bring them anything and they would have won Ohio without or without Vance and his hate filled agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah I think the logistics of Rubio was to messy with both been from Florida, Burgum was meh but passable and supposedly Youngkin the Virginia governor was considered, I think if Trump had picked him that would have been massive .

Vance doesn't bring any new voters,,,and not as if Ohio was a concern for the Republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Another Senator likely to lose his seat in November calls on Biden to not run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Pinkman

Looking at the swing states, if Trump wins Georgia, Nevada and Arizona and Dems win Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin then the Dems win the election. So if it all comes down to the rust belt, then surely the best choice strategically is pairing the Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer and Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro together as the ticket? That will make it significantly more likely to win those two states and then all they need is Wisconsin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yes, but it's not that simple. Who are they, what will they do other than not be CFTrump and not be Biden? Whitmer was good during Covid and gained fame due to the yahoos that threatened to kidnap her. Shapiro will bring out the antisemites. So, I dunno, we'd need a crash introduction to both of them. Which one is POTUS? Whitmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭eire4

Or they go with Harris as the nominee and pick one of those 2 as the VP pick to try and bring in a key battle ground state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

If Harris is selected she has to pick a VP from the biggest swing state it would be her only chance of causing an upset .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Trump needs a bit of decorum, if he can do that he has a huge chance hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

has he not already started by saying that he ‘ has taken a bullet for democracy’ . I do’nt know the connection but I’m sure Donald will elaborate on it later when he gets the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Looks like decency & democracy will be safe so!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Unreal.

This is gonna be interesting

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The only option, though I wasn't sure it'd happen. Don't think Harris is the right choice though. A race between 2-3 candidates could actually give the democratic voters some actual energy though.

Who other than Harris would run? Mark Kelly?

My money is on Harris/Kelly ticket now.

Well done to Biden, took his time, but he reached the right decision. Hopefully the party can unite behind Kamala, and take the fight to Trump now.

Had to happen. Glad Biden didn't drag it out any longer.

It appears like the party is uniting behind Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Trump will be beaten now, they had to shift Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Will Biden's hand be freeer now that he is not running for reelection?

Will he be an asset to whoever is actually running because he can now concentrate on what he is good at? Actually being President .

Can they gun down the oafish turd with something like a two shoe shuffle?(no allusion to the recent events intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’ll be interesting to see how(or if) the trump campaign can pivot and have a good strategy on how to get a message about their democratic opponent that doesn’t involve their age. I still don’t know why trump picked Vance as his VP pick. Vance is not someone who will appeal to independent voters.

• Advertisement

Harris 1/6 to be the nominee on Betfair Exchange. Gavan Newsom is a distant second place at 25/1

Harris is 9/4 to be elected President. Trump is 5/8.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

A convention would have been fun but its not the west wing so yeah best to wrap it up asap.

You will see a lot of definite predictions about who will win in November now and most of it will be wish casting, Trump starts as fav but Biden stepping down has given the Dems a boost when it comes to enthusiasm and fund raising.

Speaking of the West Wing. I see that Aaron Sorkin wrote an opinion piece calling on the Democrats to nominate…….Mitt Romney!

I see a lot of people recycling "Biden's Age" attacks that the Republicans have been using right back at them with glee

Gavin Newsom, the Clintons and the Congressional Black Caucus have all backed Harris. No word yet from Whitmer, Pelosi or Obama.

Whitmer has said she won't run and has offered support to Harris.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Whilst those posts are fairly disingenuous , Biden dropping out does mean that they can go hard on Trumps perceived "issues" without the fear of backfire.

I expect a significant ramp up on the messaging around Trumps gaffs etc.

I saw one article talking about the use of "Prosecutor vs. Felon" as an angle as well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On the flipside, where to for the GOP? I'm sure the brain trust has been brainstorming potential strategies given they probably knew Biden was dropping out at the same time as the Democrats. So assuming it's Harris as the new candidate, where and how do you attack her? We know subtly and nuance won't be at play here but how do you attack a "liberal" Black Woman without being transparently prejudicial?

They'll find something, there's no doubt about that, but unlike Clinton Harris' copybook is cleaner and Trump mouthing off about her might be a much bigger boo-boo than it ever was with Lock Her Up etc.

Same question to the Democrats: do we have a sense of the initial reaction to Biden stepping down? 'cos even if after doing so, if Liberal America still finds someting to carp about, you'd worry for the left's collective sanity in that country.

• Advertisement

Judging by right-wing accounts on twitter a lot of them seem to be sharing clips of her laughing. I think the intention is to depict her as unserious or manic but it has a lot of people scratching their heads

I'm sure they'll try lots of different angles until something sticks.

Advertisement