Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The two sides arguing back and forth about the certainty of their victory is terribly tiresome to read.

In reality this completely changes the mechanics of the race. Assuming anything from here is incredibly naive. Harris may rise to the occasion and be an electric performer, unburdened by years of expectation and preparation leading up to this point. Or she may just suck, much like Hillary in 2016.

But assuming she can’t win ‘because she is a woman’ doesn’t stack up for me. Hillary lost because she had loads of baggage, was unpopular and came across as entitled and superior. Harris might be better than expected, all we really know is she never gained traction in the 2020 primaries. Playing the Vice Presidential role in a traditional way should not be over indexed imo.

As for Trump, their core angle of attack has been pulled away from them. Sure, they’ll argue this was ‘anti democratic’ and that the Dems are in disarray and that Biden should step down, and all that. But this will only carry for a week or so. Harris is going to have a convention built around her in a couple of weeks and will be sure to attack Trump’s sleepiness and age along with getting policy items firmly back on the agenda.

Absolutely, Trump will insult and jeer her like he has done every other political opponent, and the Republicans will drum up entirely new lines of attack on her, now that she’s in the spotlight. But don’t assume all of that will be easy. Some of it is going to be construed as dog whistling (no doubt some of it will be EXACTLY that) and swing voters might want to learn a bit more about Project 2025, now that the other option isn’t a feeble old man.

I would think Trump has an advantage, but it is very much a race in dispute once again. Most of us should be listening and watching right now rather than blah blahing our half baked TAEKs and assurances of victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭randomuser02125

Do you seriously not see the difference between someone with allegations about them versus an actual, proven rapist? Clinton possibly/probably (delete according to prejudices) versus Trump 100% certified rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Just to add some data..

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4785009-kamala-harris-polls-donald-trump/

At the same time, hypothetical Trump-Harris polling in individual states indicates a tough fight. Biden was trailing Trump in several key battlegrounds before dropping out of the race, and the latest numbers suggest a similar uphill climb for Harris. 

Trump boasts leads of roughly 9 points in Nevada, 7 points in Arizona and 6 points in Georgia, according to DDHQ averages. 

Trump is up by 4 points in Pennsylvania, 1 point in Wisconsin and less than half a point in Michigan — while Harris notches a 3-point lead in Virginia

Can Harris overturn that deficit? It would be Lazerus-like.

Are we back to the old GOP where sex was shameful? Get with the times Paddy. The Maga Republican party is wall to wall sex pests, getting handjobs in family theatres even. All that matters is owning the libs.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭thatsdaft

Trump doesn’t even have a policy of overturning the deficit (or for that matter any policies)

You keep banging the deficit drum but it grown the largest under republican presidents including Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,285 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm not dismissing it out of hand, but it is not the same as pitting her as the candidate, after the DNC, after media publicity, after spending in support of her, after other Democrats with big profiles come out supporting her.

Harris has more chance of changing things than Biden.
    What could Biden do between now and November that would have improved his polling, picked up more voters? It isn't just the polling numbers right now, it is about potential.

The polls put Trump ahead over Harris, by a small number of percentage points, within the margin of polling error. Very much in the game.

If those other candidates are so great and could beat Trump… why are they keeping their powder dry?
    If as you say, Harris is so beatable both in primaries and general elections?
    And they'd have a much better chance of beating Trump?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Did you read the link I gave you?

The current deficit is much larger than any of Trump's years in office, once you take out his last year which was impacted by Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

In reality this completely changes the mechanics of the race. Assuming anything from here is incredibly naive. Harris may rise to the occasion and be an electric performer, unburdened by years of expectation and preparation leading up to this point. Or she may just suck, much like Hillary in 2016

yep got it in one- it’s folly to even try and predict at this point- it’s a rapid journey ahead and a challenge to get her “presidential fit” and out there looking and sounding good which she’ll need to be- but it’s also a long way to Nov 5th relatively speaking - even if she’s setting the stage alight, - a lot could happen including Trump getting ill , some massive negative news reveal re Trump or Harris etc etc which could put an end to either of their campaigns - a long way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't agree. It was always going to take some time for the messaging against the new opponent to emerge - we have to remember that Harris while the front runner by far, isn't the presumptive nominee yet.

But this is clearly not a masterstroke of political strategy, it's a move forced upon the Democrats due to the weakness of Biden. The swing behind Harris is likely a lot to do with practical reasons, aside from being VP making her the obvious choice being part of the Biden ticket can mean she steps into his planned rallies, fundraising and networks. The dems major figures also know that if they have an open selection at this stage, they are leaving the campaigning playing field open to Trump, while their candidates bicker amongst themselves. They need the candidate now.

I don't believe that if Biden had made his known his intention to not contest the election a year ago, Harris would have emerged as the nominee. Her role though as VP makes her the pragmatic choice in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Ireland's issues with immigration has only really developed recently, the anger toward our politicians has increased and if persists then we could very well see extremism grow, make no mistake we are on the same path as the US and UK.

As far as voting for criminals, if all politicians were treated the same as every day people then a lot more of them would have criminal records, there's a fair few Democrats that should have been facing a judge, if a criminal has never faced a judge does that mean voting for them is being a criminal sympathizer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Pretty sure a rapist would struggle to get elected in Ireland.... Also the UK if anything, has resulted in the public realising that the swing to the right has damaged the UK economy for decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Strange how there's been nothing from Joe himself, Wonder why this is ? You would expect an interview by now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Given the fact he has covid, guessing they're putting off anything like that until the end of the week. But I'm sure the conspiracy theorists will have something.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The only people who keep pushing this are MAGA, because they feel they have a baked in level of support against her, what with 8+ years of hating on her culminating in conspiracy theories that she is trans or something. And, it would be a continuation of anti-Obama fervor that has nourished their party for 16+ years from “Obama” to “Obiden.” They want to energize their base with old cheap rhetoric so they don’t have to expense inventing something new for someone new and messaging that out to the base.

But anyway, Michelle Obama has said time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time again she has no interest, it’s “not in her soul” etc. it’s never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Clinton has been accused by numerous women throughout his life , and we've proof he abused his position in relation to Monica Lewinsky (even though it was consensual) so I think it's a safe assumption to make that he's a sleazebag in relation to woman and he's just not been convicted of anything.

OJ simpson technically isn't a murder either.

I think if there is a continuous pattern of accusations against him then I think it's safe to say they're all not lying.

He's as much a sleazebag as Trump it's just he's a democrat so it seems like it's OK to be a sleazebag for some people because he's a democrat.

you’re right I wouldn’t call it a “master stroke” I would call it making good of a bad situation.

Even pretending that he announced he wouldn’t run it’s hard to see who would have built a base. Can barely name the other candidates who ran against him in the primary. Newsom has his own skeletons, Whitmer maybe. I wouldn’t have ruled Kamala out.

Trump can have the playing field all he wants for now, with nobody to run against tangibly he’s walked back to pretending like he’s still racing against Biden while sidestepping any conversation about his actual agenda, Project 2025. Him and his campaign wailing against dropping out really rings of “a bit dog hollers”

Guys it’s 2024 not 1994

Not sure what Bill Clinton has to do with anything, we’ll beside him having less impeachments than Trump

Republicans unsure how to move forward today so they’re looking backward. If it’s not an Obama or Clinton alike they’re not sure what to do, this has been their brand for 30 years. They’ll figure it out though, just gonna take more than a day.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just so I'm clear, are you saying that it is ok for the GOP to nominate a convicted rapist (and for people to vote for a convicted rapist) simply because the Democrats voted for Clinton?

Have Republicans not got their own moral compass that they need to be guided by the Dems?

Assuming they do have their own moral compass, what kind of felons would they not allow to become President?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Covid (assuming he has it although it wouldn’t be much of a conspiracy theory to say he never had it, given the outcome of this weekend)

There’s not much more to say- the Queen is dead long live the king sorta thing - in other words the focus of the media is going to shift right off him now and onto the main potentials for the Democrat nomination - he’s 6 months left in office, what’s done is done - he’ll probably cherry pick his focus from here on in- in my view America will get a better president for the next 6 months than they ever would have had if he were spending his time electioneering .

• Advertisement

It’s has been absolutely hilarious watching their heads explode as they don’t know how to attack her yet

We had everything from “oh she’s a black woman” to “but the deficit”

Not even close to being true. Trump is a proven rapist. If Clinton's allegations were ever proven in court there is no way he would get the cult level support that Trump gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Its a pity Michelle Obama has no interest in running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

That is an analysis of various polls since the debate. There are no polls since Harris became the presumptive nominee, ~24 hours ago.

I'll be looking keenly at the next poll that comes out for Trump v Harris.

No, I don't think either is right, it's just the democrats and their supporters only seem to have a problem with one of them but not the other.

Trump is scum as far as I'm concerned but he's one of a long line of scumbags involved in American politics over the decades, it's just he gets called it for it more than others have.

Just because something is or isn't proven in court doesn't make it more or less true.It's very difficult to prove rape/sexual assault through the courts.

OJ Simpson according to the courts isn't a murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

In reality this completely changes the mechanics of the race. Assuming anything from here is incredibly naive. Harris may rise to the occasion and be an electric performer, unburdened by years of expectation and preparation leading up to this point. Or she may just suck, much like Hillary in 2016

not Bill by all accounts

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Can you point to any other scum in this long line of scums with more criminal convictions and impeachments?

Jaysus, will you give us a break. No amount of repeating OJ's name will advance your worthless argument an inch. Once again, Clinton has been accused of rape while Trump has been proven to be a rapist. Your mock outrage at the difference in how Democrats treat these 2 facts is laughable.

• Advertisement

Harris has more chance of changing things than Biden.

I agree with that, it is something new. But I don't think not being Biden is good enough for the WH.

It may work, but let's be honest, it's a Hail Mary. A complete gamble by a desperate Democratic party.

We all knew that Biden could not win.

With Harris there is a chance, however small, given she is something 'new' but it's still unlikely.

Advertisement