Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Should these rules you speak of also apply to the Irish abroad?

I mean, you talk about Irish migrants mainly contributing to the countries where they are based — which is largely true — but well educated / well trained Irish migrants also means Irish migrants getting well-paid jobs which then throws them directly into the mix in competition with native Australians, Americans, Londoners etc. While refugees put pressure on certain elements of the lower end of the property markets, educated / trained Irish migrants abroad are participating in the same level of the market as educated / train natives who may then find themselves locked out of the market.

Of course, this is only one facet of the complex ways in which migration yields both benefits and negatives but I have found on these discussions that people tend to be nuance-sensitive when the migrants in question are of the Irish variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Except the thread here is about Refugees coming to Ireland claiming asylum.

If Irish people are emigrating it's because they've gotten all their documentation, qualifications, job applications/interviews, Visa applications and background checks all done before they arrive into another country and are in a position to sustain themselves with financial resources in case of an issue. Australia and places like Dubai actively seek Irish educated Teachers, medical staff and Police officers as they know it will be a seamless fit for jobs in these areas.

This is in complete contrast to what we have arriving here daily on our streets in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Yes they should - not really a complicated idea.

I think everyone would be happy with an actual immigration policy that worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Well hold on a second here, the post I responded to referred to foreigners coming to Ireland and eventually purchasing property — which would invariably mean that they are likely to be working / capable of supporting themselves.

Irish migrants are able to come into a country on high salary and capable of renting relatively high quality property and, if it comes to it, capable of competing with native working / middle class people for purchasing properties which all contributes into property prices remaining inflated. This is one of the major downsides to the "only the best and brightest" policies of right leaning parties who will eventually vilify the best and brightest migrants when they start out-earning and out-bidding native people.

If the poster's suggestion of restricting the ability of migrants in Ireland to purchase property was reciprocated against Irish migrants working abroad, then any Irish migrant thinking of purchasing property abroad would need to come home — and then become yet another addition to the demand which then drives prices upwards in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Possibly a different thread there though really.

The vast number of IPA's coming into Ireland/Europe are from third world countries, are undocumented, trafficked in by people smugglers, a complete contrast to regular immigration which i am sure most people have no issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭giseva

Yes, it should, and I'm not up to speed on the rules and regulations regarding Irish people and jobs and property purchasing rights in Australia or Canada or the US.....but something tells me it's a little tougher than here!

And if a nation can help real, genuine asylum seekers, enable skilled workers succeed in their own countries, and also allow skilled workers from outside that country to improve their lives while contributing to that country, how bad?

But to answer your question, no countries inhabitants should be negatively effected from outsiders. Maybe if we got our own **** together, our people wouldn't need to "take" jobs or houses in other countries. But we're not interested in that here. Let them go, we've replacements on the way!

Well said, help people where practical. Helping so many, plenty of whom are likely to be exploiting our systems, or lack of, while at the same time destroying your own country isn't the answer.

Indeed — though I don't think it's refugees outbidding Irish couples on the 500k 3 bed in Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

What'll end up happening is Irish and European citizens will get so fed up we'll end up with a Union wide zero refugee/IPA policy like Denmark who themselves want to go a step further by paying people to leave.

And that's a shame because another Syrian type war will break out and these people won't allowed in. All because we accepted huge amounts of Georgians, Nigerians, Albania's, Algeria's just to name a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Terrier2023

not its the vulture funds for Blackrock & Vanguard the guardians and money men of the WEF & their dystopian plans

• Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Don't forget George Soros and the Lizard People too

Lads what does Gript actually stand for or is it just a catchy name?

https://gript.ie/hello-mary-lou-goodbye-trust/

Good article here. You won't see this angled peddled by MSM.

Another problem with mass immigration and the taking in of so many asylum seekers, perhaps overlooked, is that their conflicts come with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Accidental post. Deleted

But you seem to be advocating in favour of two positions that are entirely contradictory. If you want migrants who contribute etc then it seems odd to me to also treat them punitively when it comes to buying property when it's obvious that buying a property requires you to be earning a decent wage and to have the finances/documentation required by a bank in order to secure a mortgage. It would seem to me to be a very odd form of social contract to encourage the intake of highly skilled migrants who can contribute to the economy, but also subject them to punitive measures that make it harder for them to actually reap the benefits inherent of being a contributing member of society (i.e. buying their own property).

Finally, to say that no country's inhabitants should be negatively affected by 'outsiders' is unfortunately just not a realistic way of looking at the world. For example, you cannot on the one hand laud the benefits of skilled migrants (including lauding the contribution of Irish migrants abroad) while also seemingly pretending that we can also have a world where their presence is always kept within some parameter that they be permanently and invariably disadvantaged at every turn to ensure that at no point can they ever buy a property before a native person, avail of a service before a native person, have a school place for their child over native parents' children. To think otherwise is simply not realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,321 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

From that article

"Sinn Fein still stands with the Government, not the community"

Perfectly summed up

Referendum all over again

Well then it's a good job I'm not in Government isn't it? Imagine the mess if that was the case......oh wait.

I'm for common sense and fairness and against the exploitation of our country by those in it and those entering it.

If we can reasonably help others while helping our own brilliant. The first shouldn't take precedence over the latter. It's really not that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

It might be more appropriate to refer to all these migrant centres as barracks.

What is realistic then? Is it realistic to believe that the numbers entering every week is sustainable? Is it realistic to plant these people into communities quite often against the wishes of those living there, and expect hugs all round.

Is it realistic to believe that every single "asylum seeker" with their eyes on Ireland is genuine, poses no risk, and has the best wishes of Ireland in mind?

Is it realistic to think that young Irish people won't be a bit disgruntled at the fact they're constantly outbid when trying to buy a house, by people who have the means to float in and do so.

Is it realistic to continue to import unskilled people into a country and think that'll strengthen it.

Perhaps it's more realistic to look at every **** hole across the EU to see where we're headed unless our government, and future governments take their heads out of their arses and lead the country, with the benefit of the country in mind! That'd work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

There are many Irish people, perhaps hundreds of thousands, who are, to all intents and purposes, effectively homeless. They are living with their parents and unable to afford to rent with buying not an option. Official Ireland (FF/FG/GP/Lab/Media/QUANGOs…) doesn't care about them but they'll take their taxes and house/feed the world with their money. They'll get onto the President of the GAA to get him to gaslight them after a sports event. They'll fund the media, hundreds of QUANGOs with their money. If you don't think that's not going to raise anger/resentment among the locals born here then I respectfully disagree.

Other cultures coming here is a separate issue entirely and, it has to be said, is not a new phenomenon. Ireland has gone from a small percentage of its citizens born in a foreign country to more than a higher percentage than the UK (a country with a colonial barbaric past) and it has occurred in just a couple of decades. Many of these people have integrated well into society but the situation is now reaching different levels with locals living in entire towns/suburbs being outnumbered overnight.

Noticed that myself yesterday, I'd love to know who fed him that...." thanks to all you nations that gave our people jobs"

AKA Irish Joe soap shut your mouth and welcome the world!

Exactly. . . Sport is a form of escapism from people's lives. We all enjoyed the match yesterday but the GAA couldn't help themselves and keep politics out of sport. It was also embarassing that this was broadcast internationally and we are seen to be thanking the world for housing us and giving us jobs. The Irish owe the world sweet FA. Our ancestors went and worked and built countries like the United States.

It shouldn't surprise you considering the GAA have embraced Islam. In the past they were in bed with Catholicism. Two religion's I find are very disrespectful to humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Quags

Im more than certain some posters in this forum have two accounts 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No, but vast amounts of rental properties are being paid for by HAP and DSP and DOI money to house thousands of asylum seekers.

It was well documented in 2022 that student accommodation was used to house Ukrainians forcing rents up in areas such as Tralee for rooms in houses or apartments.

When the rental market gets that squeezed it has a knock on impact on the house prices.

Take a look around dublin, gardiner street and mount joy square is basically in the hands of people from far far away. They don't work. So who is paying the rent to the landlords?

Is it the case that Ukrainians are receiving €800 per person per month accommodation allowance (not applicable to citizens of Ireland) from the DoI in addition to €660 per person per month (in Dublin) from the DSP, thus providing a couple with €2920 per month to rent?

If so how can two Irish nurses, or a nurse and a garda looking to rent compete with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

No, it's various councils doing that with our money to give them to said refugees.

People (our TDs and MEPs) need to wake up and realize that the world's problems aren't ours to fix, and definitely not before fixing our country first.

There's a big difference in housing a Syrian family fleeing actual war, and throwing a country wide open in an apparent free for all to anyone who says the magic words. As I've said before, it certainly doesn't help when save the world ROG advertises us in multiple languages as open for business.

Just as culpable and more so even are the hoteliers and land owners and everyone involved in facilitating the issue. And if it's taking in the cash for them, sure long may it continue.

Simon Harris has spoken about common sense on a couple of occasions regarding the numbers coming into the country.

I'm yet to see any.

Apart from the obvious security and safety concerns, there's the capacity issue. A lift built for 10 may take 20, but that doesn't mean it should!

There's no shortage of fields to put tents up in, or disused buildings, but is that really the solution?

Unlike other EU countries, we're much smaller, and we don't have the numerous large cities that they do, which adds to the charm of our country.

Those large countries can absorb the largely unskilled people that arrive there. We have Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway etc, and plenty of towns and villages already in need of investment in housing and services.

We have people who work and can't afford rent or a mortgage, and if they can, they're most likely paying unsustainable and extortionate amounts. There's the issue of trying to obtain a GP in the first place never mind actually getting an appointment.

And by the way, I've first hand experience of the above as do so many I know!

We have people who, if they can afford to have children, need to try to secure a school place years before the child is actually due to attend, and good luck with it, and even more luck to you if you're a parent of a special needs child.

There's a party in Ireland, and the normal Irish person isn't invited. We have parents paying ridiculous amounts for an education for their children but fees are waived for those having "fled" Ukraine and God knows who else, all laughing at us.

Simon Coveney had a vision of blowing up this country in terms of cities in the future, maybe that's still the vision of his party, but given the numerous disasters this country has seen in terms of planning and actually delivering houses, motorways, hospitals etc, I'd say we're a hundred years away from that.

Common sense to me would be fixing our own issues before creating more.

• Advertisement

Well I'm not claiming that its realistic to put asylum seekers anywhere and expect hugs all round, am I? Nor have I made any claims in respect of the other apparently rhetorical questions you pose there.

The fact is though that there does come across in your posts a desire to have a migration system that is very much a perpetual case of having our cake and eating it. You don't want unskilled migrants, you want skilled ones, but you don't want skilled ones to be buying houses and competing with Irish housebuyers, but you apparently have no problem with Irish emigrants competing for property abroad, and you also seem to want a migration system as long as it presents no disadvantage to any Irish person at any point.

In other words — it seems to me that you want an entirely perfect migration system which involves having only skilled migrants who apparently would be precluded from competing with Irish people for houses and services and at the same time Irish people will still be free to migrate themselves if they so desire and be part of the cause for things which you seem to take issue with migrants in Ireland causing. I'd suggest there might be room for you to consider whether your threshold for what is and is not State competence may be unduly informed by unrealistic expectations.

Advertisement