Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

?????? v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

No. It's not so. I'm not seeing any Democrats/left leaning people focussing on her colour. It's almost as if it's not a problem, and only a problem to closet racists...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭highpitcheric

Its not her color and gender, its the signal that sends about the party.

What closet are you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The signal is that they're willing to run a non white woman? I wouldn't say that's a sign of anti white or anti male agenda... If that's how you or others choose to interpret it, I would be inclined they're not the most rational...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/s/LTYk3ll927

Nikki Haley backs Kamala for the win !

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

if it’s not about those things what “signal” does it possibly send?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You're literally the only one making it about identity politics. All you've done on the thread is talk about how they shouldn't pick the VP who would naturally be the presumptive next nominee because she's both a racial minority and a woman and that's going to scare white guys away from voting for the Dems because the next four years will be like a Beyonce video which is a selection of words that I can't believe you've now made me have to type twice because it's the stupidest selection of words I've read in a long time.

The best candidate for the job should be chosen. Kamala is the incumbent Vice President, former Senator, former District Attorney, former State Attorney General. But the Dems shouldn't support her because white man be scared?

Maybe spend less time living your life in a Ted Nugent video and join us in the real world.

Its not how I as an observer interpret it.

But yes many white men will interpret it as a sign of identity politics, of a party which is meant to oppose them.

Are you seriously denying the reality of racial and gender bias in American voting behaviour?

Potus Candidates are chosen not only on their personal merits, but also on their racial and gender profile. This is basic knowledge. Its observable.

If youre in denial of this I dont know what dumb rock youve been living under.

And its not just America. Its the basis of many a coup.

so it’s all about her race and gender then is what you’re saying despite denying that’s what it’s about?

It will be for many undecided voters.

This is what humans do, often not always.

You dont have to like it, but its a reality. We form in groups and out groups, and we look after our own.

You wont be seeing a non-Chinese party leader any time soon. Or a non-Japanese ethnicity pm of Japan. Or a non-Indian ethnicity president of India.

And so on.

And yes the Sunaks and Obamas exist, but that doesnt mean humans dont have this discrimination habit. Those are the exceptions. This instinct exists, and it certainly exists in the U.S. and if you deny it, or its potential in elections then youre delusional.

• Advertisement

The same logic follows that plenty of people would be uncomfortable voting for a convicted fraudster and rapist. Plus if he can't hold his own in a debate against, that won't work in his favour. So a much younger candidate who isn't a rapist or convicted of any crimes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think you overplay both the reaction… and also white male voters are a minority.
    They are obviously an important demographic, but they are not the only one.

But what completely undermines your position is that if you think that way, why wouldn't women voters or black voters respond if they think Harris is unfairly jumped over… and the election comes down to another white guy… and they stay at home. That's not good either for the Democrats.

I've put the point to you several times, and you have no credible answer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Donny'll be getting his ass handed to him by a woman no less, and the white male folk won't know where to look…

I believe Ive already mentioned why it doesnt work the same in both directions, although it should be very obvious.

In voting for a theoretical white guy Dem, the minority or female voter gets rid of their nemisis. The Donald.

I cant believe Im this far in to what should be obvious to anyone. This is like beating back a crowd of flat earthers.

As I said previously, Obama won twice, and Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by over 5m voters even though she was hated by many not for being a woman, but for just being Hillary Clinton.

The majority of those for who racial and gender bias and identity politics is such an issue are largely already Trump supporters. Those issues are half of Trump's policies.

But to suggest the Dems should have tried to convince Harris not to run purely on the basis that she's a) a racial minority and b) a woman would be self-sabotage of the highest order when she's incredibly qualified and would be the presumptive next nominee as the incumbent VP. That would be playing identity politics to try and appease people who are never going to vote for them anyway, while potentially sacrificing the votes of those who have zero issue with Harris being the nominee.

Your point in another post about how China would never vote for a non-Chinese leader, or India for a non-Indian is completely moot because those countries have never been as ethnically diverse as America which is literally comprised of people from European, Latin, African and Asian heritages.

Again, you're basing your entire point on "white guys" despite the fact that they're not the only ones who vote, many or even a majority already likely to vote for Trump, and they all don't think like you do when it comes to race or gender and whether or not that's the main issue to consider when it comes to electing a President.

”it’s not her color and gender, it’s her gender and color”

Thank you for your contributions.

That's ignoring that there are equally centrists and Republicans that will happily back Harris over Trump. Plenty of people remember what his presidency was like.

https://www.newsweek.com/nikki-haley-voters-pac-announces-support-kamala-harris-1928198

well yes they laugh because they don’t talk like that, it’s too edumacated for them

You mentioned it, it is not a credible answer. If you have a credible convincing argument with foundation… you wouldn't need to put in guff like "a crowd of flat earthers".

Why is he only the nemesis of minority or female voters?

Do these straight white guys not have wives, daughters, sisters etc

Or care that Trump tried to steal an election and his supports threaten to hang a white guy VP?

If the white guys can be so upset about 'identity' politics that they overlook all that…
    Why can't women and minority voters?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Babyreignbow

Why can't women and minority voters?

Or women, minority and young voters. And lots of men who aren't white males maybe. Can't think of anyone else 🤔

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Advertisement

Dont know why youte blaming me for a political reality which should be obvious to the most uninitiated.

Im a bit busy but I had time for a look around, and it didnt take long to find a worldwide newspaper alluding to the same realities which I mention.

Realities which you either deny exist, or attribute to the messenger.

"It is not merely grizzled men in the Democratic Party who think they ... need a white guy to win. Democratic women, nearly all of whom voted for Hillary Clinton, will say without prompting that they cannot “risk” this election on another woman (as if Republicans would ever say after 2008, “We’d better not nominate any of those white old men again!”). My colleague Dave Weigel has heard it. I’ve heard it. Pollsters I have spoken to have heard it. Democratic operatives, veterans of the Clinton campaign, have heard it — and said it."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/05/03/harris-challenges-best-way-challenge-trump/

Did you read the article? It is from 2019 and actually says…

In short, the notion that Democrats must have a white man to dislodge Trump is based on not much other than fear. Democrats need a competent candidate who can turn out the base, not scare off moderate independents and disenchanted Democrats, and stand up to Trump. 

It proves the existence of the racial dynamics I described.

So we're past the point of this situation not existing, or being a reflection on me personally.

Apology accepted.

"In short, the notion that Democrats must have a white man to dislodge Trump is based on not much other than fear. Democrats need a competent candidate who can turn out the base, not scare off moderate independents and disenchanted Democrats, and stand up to Trump. Right now, voters are saying that person is former vice president Joe Biden, who both is extremely well-liked and fits the unproved-but-ingrained hunch that only a white man can beat the white incumbent president.

This week, Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.) reminded voters that there is more than one way to slice and dice a dishonest, arrogant white Republican man. She filleted Attorney General William P. Barr, showing she can plan out and carry off a rhetorical knockout. Hey, maybe she can stand up to Trump on that debate stage. Maybe she is the one to rally the African American vote and keep those women who crossed over to vote Democratic in 2018 in the Democrats’ corner in 2020."

That article actually very much viewed Harris as potentially electable. You sure you read it?

Well it wasnt a thesis. Just my thoughts on what looks like a bad move.

No it doesn't. That's the second time you've misrepresented its contents.

You cited an article that contradicted the point you made, that there was no real foundation to it.

You tried to pass off an article as supporting your argument - when it showed the opposite.

Then you seem to think you are owed an apology?

That's textbook bad faith argument.

Plus as odyssey06 said, the article is from five years ago, and since then Trump has been found liable for sexual assault, and abortion rights have been significantly stripped back throughout the country including in swing states. So the idea that five years ago women voters may have been worried about supporting a female candidate after Hillary, is now completely redundant and if anything has swung completely the other way. Women could be far more likely to vote for a woman candidate than ever before.

Of course it proves the racial dynamics I described. Dont deny it.

Stop the silly games. Its too transparent. I know whats up.

One paragraph from a five year old article and in which that argument is countered within the conclusion of the same article? Proves absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement

It's transparent you haven't read the article, or if you have, you are repeatedly misrepresenting it here.

There is nothing in the article proving them as you described.

The whole point of the article is that it is a perception only, without real foundation.

Here's the conclusion of the article YOU linked, which you are transparently ignoring:

In short, the notion that Democrats must have a white man to dislodge Trump is based on not much other than fear. Democrats need a competent candidate who can turn out the base, not scare off moderate independents and disenchanted Democrats, and stand up to Trump. 

Advertisement