Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options
1421422423424425427»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Clear pull of the Jersey being ignored not seen ……….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Village87

Another area Kilkenny need to look at is the bench, our bench has been terrible all year and really highlights the lack of depth in our squad. In the semi final Clare's bench was much stronger than ours. Yesterday they brought on Ryan Taylor, Lohan, Ian Galvin, Cian Galvin, Mounsey, they did not weaken the team at all. They also brought on Shanager, Meehan and Morey who had a lesser impact. Kilkenny do not have a squad of tried players like that and fair play to the Clare management.

Kilkenny need to use the league to blood in 8/9 new player as we badly need them. Lawlor(if around), TJ (if around) can take the league off

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Yeah I'd agree with you on that! That was one of the biggest disappointments I had after the semi final that they went back to the older lads and didn't trust Molloy, Murphy or Wall when the chips were down, I don't think any of those 3 would have done any worse than what we had in the second half.

I'd agree with you about the league too, the first thing we need to do is pick a centre back and leave them there the whole of the league and let them get experience there. I know we'll want to do well during the league and we'll be giving out here if we lose a few games but I'd gladly take a struggle during the league if it meant we'd found 3/4 more good options for our championship match day squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Box to box

We got to a league final with molloy,shame Murphy,luke hogan and Owen Wall getting experience but management didn't trust them when the others came back. Massive lack of trust in the squad the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Nedflanders02

That's exactly my point! They did well when ever they got a chance but when things started heating up they were left aside. For better or worse next year we are going to have to go with these lads and give them and maybe 3/4 more new players a good run during the league. If at the end of the league next year we still don't have a centre back, another option in the full back line and a couple of new forwards for either starting or to bring off the bench we'll be in the exact same position we are this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

It said a lot about our strength in depth when there was absolutely no debate on here or anywhere else when our team was named for the semifinal. We all knew it was our strongest team in comparison to Clare where Ian Galvin, Ryan Taylor and a couple of others could feel unfortunate to be left out.

I’m convinced we have the players but the management didn’t trust them for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Formosa

`Regarding this bit:

Never thought I’d live long enough to feel sorry for Cork losing an AIF, but I do, they were desperately unlucky to not have at least got a draw (and remember they were badly done by ref in first match v Clare in 2013 also).

I saw a lot of online complaining about their treatment by the ref in th3 2013 final.

Lets not forget, the quarter final v KK, Shefflin got two yellows, including one of the softest ever (which was subsequently rescinded) for the first one. Meanwhile Shane O'Neill wore the hurl across Larkin's chest for the penalty and no sign of a card.

We were still in the game at that stage and a red for Cork (when comparing the severity of the pull to Shefflin's 1st yellow it merited a 2 year ban) could have changed the outcome.

In the semi final, the ludicrous sending off of Ryan Dwyer by Owens arguably turned the match that Dublin had been in control of. Again, a joke of a first yellow in the early stages.

So 45 seconds of additional extra time in that final isn't much for them to gripe about in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

I have to admit that the 2013 semi final and Jamie Coughlan's antics came to mind yesterday when I started feeling sorry for Cork. Some similarities between the two games too, Cork being involved obviously, the public delighted with spectacle and the result, but the loser feeling hard done by the ref and most neutrals not willing to entertain their grievances.

Having said that Cork have been brilliant for the Championship this year and it will be all the sweeter for them when they do eventually win it

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Marrooned

the trouble with the league is that you really have to stay up, so you need to have reasonable campaign. Relegation would serve no purpose this would totally demoralise the county, However the Walsh cup could be used with about seven new players being blooded every match and maybe play these young lads alongside the likes of Buckley,Wally,and Fogarty and all the good performers retained for the following match. Cody tried this years ago and it worked we actually got to and won a league final with Gorta, fast Eddie etc. but the Walsh cup is the key great if you win it far from a disaster if you lose it.we shouldn’t be pissing off players, let them prove themselves they couldn’t surprise us.

Advertisement