Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A further fire tonight at the site in Coolock.

Justice Minister no where to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,323 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Augme

Quote where I said Ireland can't implement the same policies as Denmark. But instead, why don't you inform us as to all these policies that Denmark implemented. Denmark don't ignore their EU obligations. You are claiming they do.

As for the EU laws, have a read of this. And no, I'm not going to read it for you.

You claimed there are no obligations for member States. You are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why aren't the Gardai standing in the factory itself to prevent these fires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Your posts have repeatedly said our government can't restrict the number of asylum seekers we take in because of "obligations". When I've pointed out to you Denmark have successfully reduced the number of asylum seekers they take in by 90% by making asylum policy changes you've stated Ireland can't do so, but have been unable to cite a single EU law that would explicitly apply in this area.

The Common European Asylum System is not a law with "obligations". Good work trying to copy paste in the first result from Google you found, though.

I haven't said there are "no obligations for member states". I've said there are no obligations that prevent us from doing the exact same as Denmark and reducing our intake of asylum seekers by 90%.

Denmark has done multiple things that we can and should easily copy:

• "Residence permits in Denmark are almost always temporary: for one or two years and can then be extended for a specified period. The duration of the initial protection and renewal periods depend on the level of protection. A permanent residence permit is only possible after eight years. And even then strict criteria apply. Family reunification is only possible after two years.

• Every asylum seeker in Denmark is entitled to meals and shelter in an asylum centre. An asylum seeker may enter into a contract with the asylum center to participate in certain activities, attend classes and/or perform work. Signing this contract entitles him to an additional allowance. In the event of non-compliance with the contract, the allowance will be reduced or withdrawn. Those who are still awaiting a decision on whether their asylum application will be processed in Denmark receive a lower allowance. Asylum seekers with a minimal risk of persecution in the country of origin receive free meals and shelter, but no allowance.

• Centers for asylum are mainly aimed at at remigration to the country of origin. People whose asylum applications have been rejected are transferred to austere centers.

• Asylum seekers who voluntarily return to their country of origin or the country where their family currently resides receive a return compensation of up to DKK 150,598 (approximately EUR 20,000)

• In June 2021, the Danish state passed Bill L 226 to allow the state to arrange “the transfer of asylum seekers to a third country outside the EU for the purposes of both asylum processing and protection of refugees in the third country".

• The Danish government expresses in word and writing that they want to significantly reduce the number of asylum seekers. In addition to laws and measures, this has a strong dissuasive effect

Again, constantly repeating the incorrect things you've repeatedly stated doesn't make them any more correct. They are still wrong and your claims that EU member states have no obligations to asylum seekers are wrong.

Denmark are legally obliged to accepted an request for asylum, they always have been and they have always honoured that commitment.

This is what you said;

We have no actual binding obligation to do anything with asylum policy. As, again, can be seen with Denmark

We do have binding obligations to do with asylum policy, just like Denmark does.

As for me claiming Ireland cant do what Denamrk did, please quote me where I said that. My understanding is the Government are trying to do that but people like you and the Cookock protesters are actively trying to stop them doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Oxo Moran

While Tusla / O'Gorman are still floundering losing children and putting those they do have into unvetted care homes, this comes out:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/tusla-at-crisis-point-after-concern-raised-over-systemic-shortcomings-1503093.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2024/07/20/judges-say-corporate-faceless-tusla-is-failing-children/

Even back when Haughey ruled this kind of thing would bring down a government.

From my very first post on the topic I said "Ireland needs to copy Denmark's recent policies which have successfully reduced their intake of asylum seekers by 90%".

You were the one who came into the thread claiming this was impossible because of "obligations".

Obligations which when asked to list the relevant laws for you've repeatedly failed to do so. Because you're clearly just parroting a line you have no actual fact based knowledge of.

Our government are very much not trying to follow Denmark's lead here, they've announced none of the above easily enacted, effective, policies for Ireland. But they could do so tomorrow if they were even a little bit more competent, and it would do wonders.

Theres nobody stopping them from doing so other than misinformed types like yourself claiming we can't reduce the number of asylum seekers we take in because of "obligations".

• Advertisement

From your very first post you claimed

We have no actual binding obligation to do anything with asylum policy. As, again, can be seen with Denmark.

You are wrong. We do have binding obligations with asylum policy, as do Denmark.

The government have announced reception centres for asylum seekers? What exactly do you think the protest in Coolock is about? As for the other suggestions. Imagine the government shouting from the rooftops that we will give asylum seekers €20,000. Jesus christ, talk about opening the flood gates.

We don't have any binding obligations to let in the current level of asylum seekers, exactly as I claimed. You're the one who claimed we did, but failed to provide any facts to back this claim up when asked.

Building "reception centres for asylum seekers" is not the Danish policy. Did you even read the bullet points related to asylum centers in that post?

• Every asylum seeker in Denmark is entitled to meals and shelter
      in an asylum centre. An asylum seeker may enter into a contract with the
      asylum center to participate in certain activities, attend classes
      and/or perform work. Signing this contract entitles him to an additional
      allowance. In the event of non-compliance with the contract, the
      allowance will be reduced or withdrawn. Those who are still awaiting a
      decision on whether their asylum application will be processed in
      Denmark receive a lower allowance. Asylum seekers with a minimal risk of
      persecution in the country of origin receive free meals and shelter,
      but no allowance.
    • Centers for asylum are mainly
      aimed at at remigration to the country of origin. People whose asylum
      applications have been rejected are transferred to austere centers.

None of the key, punitive, measures in that apply to the proposed Irish asylum centers.

As to "Imagine the government shouting from the rooftops that we will give asylum seekers €20,000. Jesus christ, talk about opening the flood gates" I'd ask - do you perhaps have reading difficulties? I don't want to be too harsh here if you do, but the bullet point relating to that very clearly stated: "Asylum seekers who voluntarily return to their country of origin or the country where their family currently resides receive a return compensation of up to DKK 150,598 (approximately EUR 20,000)." Its not "giving asylum seekers €20,000" as a gift.

Given the state is spending at the least €40k per year for every asylum seeker in our system I can guarantee very few people in the country would have a problem with a policy that offered half of that single year cost for an asylum seeker to leave and never come back instead.

We do have legal obligations to let in asylum seekers. I already posted a link to what happened to Hungary and you just decided to ignore it. I'm not going to constantly post links to what the obligations are just you can ignore them and pretend they don't exist.

Free accommodation and free meals? Yes, that sounds real punitive alright.

No I don't have reading difficulties, i just thoihht youd be able to grasp the pooint i was getting at without me needing to simplify it. I was wrong. What do you think people who have no interest in claiming asylum in Ireland will do when they learn they cabb get €20k for claiming asylum in Ireland and then leaving?

We don't have any legal obligations to let in 30,000 (and increasing rapidly) asylum seekers a year. You've posted no specific legal obligations to defend this claim, despite declaring they existed repeatedly.

You posted a link to Hungary getting fined for requiring asylum seekers to register in a specific location. Thats not a policy I suggested, or one that Denmark has implemented. It was a rather obvious attempt to move the goal posts.

The Danish system is far more punitive than our current Irish system, which is why it has worked to drastically reduce numbers. "Free accomodation and free meals" is not the punitive part of those two bullet points.

You having multiple grammatical errors in your response to the reading difficulties question doesn't exactly back up your denial. So again I will say apologies for being harsh here if you're apparently differently abled. But the idea that paying asylum seekers to leave and never return increases number in the system just isn't backed up by the real world data. Its particularly stupid as a theory when you consider the costs involved for an asylum seeker to get from Africa (or elsewhere) to Ireland. Do note again Danish numbers dropping by 90% after implementing this and similar policies.

Thats in direct contrast to our numbers arriving in Ireland increasing rapidly every year, while our current government flails around failing to implement any policies to reduce numbers.

We have a legal obligation to accept any person who claims asylum at any of our borders and who wants to claim asylum in Ireland. Just like Denmark does and always have and have always upheld. Can you point me to any link where Denmark have refused to accept someone claiming asylum? Ive posted multiple links to show that every EU member states has a legal obligation to accept an asylum request. You've decided to ignore them and pretend they don't exist. I can't spoon feed you anymore.

When did Denmark implement that policy of paying €20,000 and in what year did they implement their other policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't have time to find old links I posted previously in the refugee thread but Denmark treatment of IPAs has been found to be in breach of EU law.

Further it's been reported thousand of IPAs have gone missing from their detention centres, presumed now seeking asylum elsewhere or living undocumented elsewhere in Europe.

They haven't reduced the numbers seeking asylum so much as push them elsewhere in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Surprise surprise... I mean, who could have predicted this. This government really are incompetent beyond all belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Nothing brings down a government anymore. There is no shame or accountability.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Why are you persisently lying about this topic? You've posted one link, not multiple links. And the one link you posted was to a EU multi-country agreement, not a specific law relevant to the topic. It showed no legal obligation.

We have no legal obligation to accept any person who claims asylum at our border. Again, please show the specific law that you think applies here. You haven't "spoon fed" anything because you've been unable to link to a single, specific, law to back up your repeated claims.

Denmark refused 56% of asylum applications who presented in 2020. It refused 41% of asylum applications in 2021[1]. They have no legal obligation to accept "any person who claims asylum", just the same as Ireland.

Denmark brought in the €20,000 payment in 2019[2]. The rest of their policies were brought in at varous stages between 2015 and 2020. You can Google each individual one for yourself.

[1]http://refugees.dk/en/facts/numbers-and-statistics/what-are-the-chances-of-being-granted-asylum/
    [2]https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/denmark-firm-returning-refugees-war-torn-syria-2021-04-27/

• Advertisement

[citation needed]

In reality Denmark hasn't been fined a cent by the EU.

They've reduced the number of asylum seekers in Denmark by 90%. The facts speak for themselves. If the rest of Europe wants to reduce its number of asylum seekers it can follow the same policies.

Ireland could copy the policies I posted on the last page tomorrow and see our numbers of asylum seekers drop dramatically. All it would take is a competent government.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well actually, they are trying to build an asylum centre in Coolock at the Crown Paints location.

That is what Denmark have done, but you object to that?

Given that people simply leave Danish centres and head elsewhere in Europe, I don't think copying that policy across the region would be as straightforward as you think.

I came on this thread to ask government party supporters what they think will be the approach to dealing with violent protests and arson?

They'll stay the course. Refuse to deal with concerns, react after the fact, talk about the far right. McEntee might say it's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think you might be mixing me up with another poster.

I'm disgusted by recent events.

I genuinely came on the thread to get a sense of what the feelings are from FF and FG supporters especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They are firmly in do-nothing mode until the election in November. In fact they have done nothing for a long time. Remember they announced 6 immigration processing centres across the country? No follow through.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yes. When McEntee should be out condemning it and putting forward solutions, she's nowhere.

If there was a sniff of a PR win, herself and Harris would be in all the papers.

• Advertisement

Dont blame me for your inability to read. We'll try again though.

In 2019, Denmark had 2,700 applications and in 2022 they had 4,565. So tell me again how giving €20,000 to asylum seekers is a good idea?

Advertisement