Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭giseva

Oh well that's that then. You might pop along to some of the protests and inform the crowds that the Government isn't completely incompetent, it's just that some people have unrealistic expectations and desires for Ireland.

Asylum seekers, economic or otherwise, and skilled workers coming in or out of the country are different things.

Asylum seekers aside, and forgetting about the people who may just want to leave and live abroad, but take all the non-national healthcare workers that come here and fill a void left by Irish nurses and doctors for example.

They wouldn't be required if the Irish could actually afford to live in Ireland. 10 Irish nurses don't want to share accommodation just to cover the extortionate rent, but 10 nurses from the Philippines are more than happy to. You see the problem? Well maybe you don't.

Nothing against said healthcare workers but they're not doing it for the good of their health, excuse the pun. They're being paid for it. And having personally seen such a group protesting about their visas and the fact their families are still in their countries of origin, guess what's next? More pandering and rule changes to bring their families over, and over time, further dilute Ireland.

In a tiny country, who's population is increasing from the outside in, it is estimated that 1 in 5 are non Irish born. At what percentage does that bother you, if any? 30? 50?

The rapidly changing demographic of this country in a time where MSM are telling us the tricolour is now a symbol of the far right, is worrying to say the least. We may as well tear up that proclamation while we're at it. That didn't last long.

But sure look this is all very one sided, and maybe I'm talking through my arse, what's your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

irish doctors can afford to live here though, they leave to gain experience in different hospitals and live abroad and nearly all come back - https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41073995.html - this article goes into that. nurses are a different story, but doctors are paid handsomely in ireland and can afford to live here. the new slaintecare package starts at 220k for consultants, i don't think anywhere else in europe pays that much.

we will always need foreign doctors to come here regardless, it's very hard to staff many of our hospitals, many irish doctors will only want to work in the main dublin hospitals, it's hard to get good doctors out to sligo and tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Surely each country decides on its policies. So if Australia wants a particular set of skills for its country and many Irish people fit that requirement then who are we in Ireland to say whether that is right or wrong?

You seem to have the idea that if Australia or Canada accepts a number Irish people to contribute to their countries, we are obliged to take a similar number of international workers regardless of whether we have a need or capacity for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Also consider this

Ukrainians have been going home for medical treatment, they went home en masses for xmas 2022 and 2023 all at our expense. Hundreds of million euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

I would argue that a 186% increase in asylum compared with 2019 - a percentage increase considerably different from the 34% EU average - with the majority of asylum seekers (between 50% to 70%) arriving as a result of secondary movement from the EU, warrants discussion of State incompetence, yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Is there immigration checks at our sea ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

It is a large amount but it is not unusual at all.

The majority of rental tenants in ireland receive govt supports. About 55%.

Thats why we need more homes and especially more govt owned social and cost rental homes.

Supports for thousands of people who seem to be able to bugger off back to the ukraine whenever they feel like it while working Irish people are paying through the nose for a roof over their head is not a good look at all

It also makes it impossible to therefore save for a deposit to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is all going according to the Government's plan alright.

Ignore working class areas and small rural communities and shovel in the IPAS. The first have been let down by SF so that party's vote will continue to slide. OK then their vote will go elsewhere but importantly to a fragmented grouping of some sort but not to the previous nemesis and main opposition anymore. Small rural communities only have a few votes in them. Not worth worrying about at all.

Then the more salubrious areas which are traditional FG/FF but FG mainly are protected from IPAS centres, therefore their votes are secure.

Sounds like the Grand Plan to me.

Yeah the non FF FG vote will be spread across SF, SD, national party, PB4P, Labour and independents.

Mary Loo really needed to decide if she ever wants to be Taoiseach. If so,she needs to rethink her Party's strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

We came home yesterday from Sweden to Dublin airport on a SAS flight, the pilot informed everybody on the plane that we would have to show our passports at the doorway of getting into the building, 2 immigration guys checking everybodies passports before we were allowed into the building, they pulled 2 muslim woman out of the queue and had them standing to the side…. never had that done before…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

This happens at airports all over Europe, good to see it happening here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭patnor1011

The more people come in the more doctors you will need.

Isn't it a part of the problem anyway?

What is unusual is that you seems to advocate for more taxes to be paid so government can build houses for everyone who just happen to come here. They don't even need to spend a day in any employment to contribute to said tax increase.

She'll just say those she spoke with don't wish to be named. Everyone should just believe her for God's sake, it's not in a politician to lie 😂

People believe many strange things. Putin is not behind everything.

Gript means to grip something to hold it firmly. Simple google search would also show you that Russian for propaganda is пропаганда.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,193 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Can you provide a summary of points you find interesting from this link dump tweet to a 177 page report and give your own thoughts?

There is a lot of *ism and *phobias and funny labels thrown around when people feel someone does have different opinion. I reacted to that poster because I understand russian and wanted to point out that while we may believe something it may turn out not to be the case. Gript is a word and while not generally used nowadays it does have equivalent in Russian - хватка.

Understands Russian....but not humour.

I don't doubt that, not from me my friend, the only *ism I'm interested in is realism!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Thanks, I was being facetious.

While there have been questions raised around Gript, and it associated Catholic extremist organisations, fundings I've no knowledge it receives funding from Russia.

That said the Eurosceptic, anti-immigration rhetoric fits well with Moscow's agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

So many people believing fake twitter accounts. That's the real problem.

"150 Syrian male refugees in Dundalk" posted by an AI account and idiots retweet and even reshare it here. The stupidity of our species is astounding.

This Direct Provision centre strategy is beyond stupid. This will destroy communities. Equally anyone setting these centres on fire is nothing but a lowlife scumbag.

I was glad to see customs officers checking documents on the jetbridge off my flight from Lisbon last night. And passport control asking the hard questions. About time ye did yer f**king jobs!! Too many years of slacking. (Like most public service admin)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Same experience TAP from Lisbon. There was a family flying from Brazil I think and they were pulled to the side and then got a further grilling at passport control. From what i heard they were parents and some siblings visiting a family member here. It was quite the grilling and very loud aggressive questioning. The officer asked them "who told you to come to ireland" and "why did you come to ireland" even after they clearly stated their reason.

I was coming from Brazil aswell.

The customs officers were literally on the jetbridge!

Like you - never seen that before

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Repro212

Thanks for sharing, bit of light bed time reading! I'll quote this next time I mention replacement and get a warning for 'conspiracy nonsense'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Would be IPA's be using up more health resources anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It looks real tough alright, which is exactly the plan - It's pure optics.

Think about the options with the two women pulled aside. Let's say they were a bit dodge and claimed they had no passports/docs and told the immigration guys they wished to claim asylum - What can the immigration lads do? - Nothing but put them into the asylum system

All the other pax see them getting taken aside and are impressed, but it makes no difference whatsoever - Those two women (if they were attempting to claim asylum) no matter where they came from or their circumstances, likely were in a hotel room last night and got cab to take them to the IPO this morning

Don't forget, we are dealing with the ultimate spin masters here - The FG strategic comms unit is in full swing, 24/7, this year

It's all a bit like the report of the 50 system gamers allegedly being sent back to Belfast/Holyhead, coming out 10/12 days before the Local/EU elections but not a squeak of that strategy since - amazing!

Advertisement