Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,783 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

we were able to play closer to the edge as a result.

Im going to be honest, this playing close to the edge is absolute bollix.

It means to cheat but to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's the modern game. Understanding the referee and preparing for them is as important as preparing a gameplan for the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep. And still despite that, they did so much right that they came very close to the win.

Very frustrating for us (god knows how frustrated they must be themselves!) but the puck outs didn't go well enough and I felt we missed a lot of breaking balls. Time and again after a high ball was broken down, Clare came away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

re ‘playing the ref’. Limerick were experts at it re the supposed hand pass. Limerick knew that very, very, very few throws were called up so it lived as close to the edge as possible. Kilkenny lived very close to the edge on some aspects of the game. Re jersey pulling, can the ref see a jersey being pulled if the player , whose jersey is being pulled, is DIRECTLY between the puller and the referee. I think not in most cases . Maybe Clare had ‘fine tuned ‘ the practice more than Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

Henry Sheflin was supposed to be the master of the following practice :- when the ball was sent up from the Kilkenny backs and at , circa, half ways on its flight up to the forwards /towards Sheflin’s patch, Sheflin would give a dig with his hurley to his occupant while the refs eyes is following the flight of the ball. And just before the ball is landing in Sheflin’s space his occupant is in the process of responding to Henry’s dig and WHICh THE REF DID NOT SEE BU T HE DID SEE THE. RETALIATION and Kilkenny wins a free - maybe also a yellow or red card involved. I’m sure there were/are lots of other’tricks’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Jackie Tyrell. Back in the day when Kilkenny were beating everyone easily, we used to just watch Jackie Tyrell: not when the ball came in, but off the ball.

And what year was it that Sully and Donal Óg basically climbed on top of Paul Shelly who had the ball in hand? Some of the worst fouling I've ever seen. Two red cards under normal circumstances, but the ref bottled it and they got away with it. Very streetwise/sneaky etc. The winning sides have that in them, but I'm not sure if this Cork team has it in them. The opposite side of that is the likes of Austin Gleeson who has a knack of almost always being right in front of the ref when he does something!

I suspect the two red cards in Munster maybe had Cork spooked and made them a small bit "too honest".

My biggest hope is that they can bottle up the hurt a little bit and deliver from the start next year. They owe us nothing, but it'd be nice if they could get some silverware for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Dont get this we were robbed thing..

Shanagher had the brain farts of all brain farts with a pull on a jersey when clare had a two on one.

Clare three up going intoend of extra time. Two minutes extra. A slight pull on the jersey but didnt imped Flynns shot..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭Seadin

Was it a pull on the jersey or not? The evidence suggests it clearly was which then means a free in. He was a dodgy ref no point hiding it and contributed in Clare getting over the line in a tight game. He should never be allowed to ref again that clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I don't think it's the ref that's the clown….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Met Anthony Nash and Eoin Cadagan, separately, in the croke park hotel after the match. The 2 young lads, dressed from head to toe in their clare gear, wanted a picture but I wasn't sure if I wanted to annoy them as I'm sure they get well sick of it. Anyway, we did, and asked for the pictures. Not alone did they pose for the pictures but they spent ages chatting to my two young lads bout the match and hurling and how if they kept at it they could be playing there themselves some day. This was all less than an hour after they watched their county cruelly lose an ireland final by a point.

So, yea, we get caught up roaring and bawling at matches and trying our best to get one over on the opposition but, at the end of the day, we're all mad hurling people and those 2 cork lads only reinforced why we love this game. I was blown away by their generosity and humbleness with the two boys.

Sport is cruel sometimes and I would feel for all of ye after that defeat yesterday. On the other hand, it often brings out the best in us and the beauty of it is that there's always the next game to go again. Hard luck yesterday and see ye next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Figerty

No it doesn't mean cheating. It means that if you are playing and a ref has a particular way of reffing you work with that. One ref in Clare pulled everything if you batted a ball but hit the other players hurley from behind even if they had it up in the way. Others pulled for a chop if you came from the side. Another pulled for 5 steps while others only really pulled for five if you were going forward, going backwards or sideways you got a bit more leniency but you could pull hard as hell. There were refs you could talk to and others you would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

He did he hardest to get Cork a draw after throwing away a 7 point lead.

2.5 minutes injury time in a 10 minute extra time period with no stoppages and only. 2 minutes indicated. Bizzare stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Lads Rodgers and kelly waltzing through was a disgrace on yere part. Speaking from tipp when we were going well, paudie maher would have left those lads in a heap before any shot got off. Ye dont seem to have any enforcer in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

And no Cork player complained when the shot went wide..Do you not think the refs sight was impeded..its grand for us with five replays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Look at our last team to win an all Ireland, you had lads like Sully and John Gardiner in it etc, lads who had that bit of ruthlessness, that bit of slyness and cunning in them etc.

The current Cork team lacks characters like that. They're a bit too nice. I felt Clare bullied us a bit yesterday, and we just allowed it to happen.

It was blatantly obvious after twenty or twenty five minutes that the long puckouts should've been abandoned as well.

The Clare backs were so efficient at shutting our forwards down, and at the other end their forwards had acres of space to operate in.

Oh make no mistake about it we have a lot to learn, and a lot to improve on both on and off the pitch if we're going to win an all Ireland.

We can blame it all on the referee but it won't get us anywhere. The bottom line here is that Limerick were possibly a bit off this year, but we failed to capitalize on and take advantage of that.

I just hope that just like 2013 we won't be spending the next decade ruing and lamenting this defeat.

Post edited by Straight Talker at

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

It was as clear as daylight. I saw it the minute it happened. He was probably daised after the head collision and was so fat he couldn't keep up with game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

I thought he did well, there's bad calls in every game, especially with the speed it's played at these days

In fairness it's easy for you to say that! I did say yesterday that the Limerick reff wanted Clare to win. In hindsight i do regret that comment but feelings were very raw at the time!

Nonetheless i felt he had a poor game and allowed too many incidents go. Taking nothing from Clare, Cork have a lot to improve on ourselves but that's my opinion on the matter regardless.

• Advertisement

It's brilliant reading your rubbish as well. Back to the Limerick thread with you troll.😉

You are spot on. It was said here that players shouldn't blame the ref when a huge call goes against them in a tight game. Of course they should be giving out if you lose an Ireland over it. The players are the ones putting in the effort to get there and their hopes and dreams dashed by a dodgy fat ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Dalton should have been taken off early in the game yesterday. Most overrated player ye have. Connelly another, great against poorer opposition but 1 PT in the last 3 games in not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Horgan played the whole game with a hamstring injury. Admitted it today.

Whether he concealed it from Pat Ryan is not clear however.

Don't believe everything you read. No way he would have lasted with any hamstring issues

Every player can be overrated when they play poorly. Even Tony Kelly was described as that by some before yesterdays final.

I know, Dalton is not the answer. Great striker of the ball but is too slow to make a massive impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shockframe

Believe me when I tell you there is no preference for Clare over Cork for a majority of the county!

I'd say Johnny Murphy would have been delighted to bring it to a replay as much as the general public. Shanagher gave him an excuse in normal time but O Flynn got away from his man despite the jersey pull and in Murphy's defence he probably would have expected that to go over and maybe watching the shot anticipating a score. An awkward one to bring back when it went wide.

When all is said and done Clare have won 5 of the last 6 games between them and we're perfectly primed for yesterday. They saved their season twice when they were on the brink of being knocked out in Munster Round 2 (23/24). They're just a bit further down the road in the school of hard knocks and it showed in their willingness to put their body on the line.

Cork are a lot better placed now than they were in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

if Cork are going to blame the ref for yesterdays defeat.. they havent a hope of winning Liam McCarthy anytime soon… the concession of 3 soft enough goals is what Cork should be focusing on… the defending by Cork for those 3 scores was shocking..

• Advertisement

Clare were in the last three Munster finals and last three all Ireland semi finals as well. They are a more battle hardened team who've been to the well more often than Cork. I know some people in Cork thought that just because we knocked Limerick out that we'd beat Clare, but i never subscribed to that theory.

Yeah Cork are in a better place than in 2013. Back then we didn't have the players coming through from underage that we do now. That 2013 team was probably the weakest Cork team that played in an all Ireland final for years imo.

Advertisement