Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options
1252627282931»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Why would Coca Cola Poland be putting Irish DRS barcodes on their cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Who is profiting is the question. Lets speculate a bit about that…

Currently return is profiting simply because a lot of people dont claim deposit back. Middle man re shops are at zero. Customers are at zero or losing but willingly.

If return is printing these and they are applied to imported stuff then return is charging levy, shop which sells them is at zero and customer is at zero if they are returned and deposit claimed. If deposit is not claimed return is profiting same as above and customer is losing but willingly.

If shops are being creative and making them themselves then they are profiting, return is losing (actual loss is debatable since we are constantly reminded they are non profit and they do have quite a big slush fund from non claimed deposits to absorb this cost) and customer is at zero or losing but willingly if deposit is not claimed.

If customers are printing them they are profiting and return is losing and as above they may be able to absorb costs due to excess they get from not claimed deposit and also imports of not labeled stuff is slowly drying out.

Another possible scenario is printing 25c labels and applying them on 15c bottles which is possible but seems too much of a hassle for 10c unless someone is doing it on industrial scale. In this case return is losing but I do not expect to see this happening in any meaningful way to reduce return profits from non claimed deposits.

Importer may be obliged to do so. I dont know if they are but I know about danish coca cola which is still being imported, sold, deposit not charged and not useable in return machines.

So I personally think that in case of this polish coca cola it may be just some enterprising venture by said garage. I will check my local polish shops and see if they do have similar stickers on their drinks. They do have return bags so I presume they are charging deposits and also pay deposit back when you bring logoed containers in. I will ask as this labeling issue is interesting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭bog master

So take that 0.15 cent deposit you forego, 5 million cans/bottles per day being sold according to ReTurn, and even if 1% of people forego the deposit it's a nice tidy sum!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Ive not been in a Polish shop in ages as my local SuperValu has a great selection of Polish produce. However, while shops are obligated to pay back the deposit and take your empty bottle, there have been several accounts on this thread of people getting blank looks and "oh I dont know…"'s

I suspect if you try to bring back your DRS cans to the Polish shop, the usually chatty shop assistant will suddenly forget all her english.

And who can blame her. If they dont have a DRS machine, what are they meant to do with your empties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Polish shops Ive been into feels like they would be less than 250 sq metres so exempt from having to take back.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They are obliged to if they are being sold in Ireland.

We do have few small but 2 big ones and I have seen clear big plastic bags with return logo on them in one of bigger shops. No machine in there.

Yet, there is quite small off license shop which does have a machine in. May be good for business, generally until enterprising unwell person brings in a batch of freshly bin fished containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Importers absolutely can do this, once you have registered the barcode and paid the fees.

And grey imports are also legal, Coca Cola Ireland cannot stop you doing it - but you have to pay the fees, not them.

Now, that doesn't mean this is actually done legally in this very case; but it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes understood but the barcode in that example is a Coca Cola Ireland barcode which doesn't represent the source of the product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I googled it and found a wholesaler listing it as "can", nothing else anywhere and makes me suspect its a grey import via them.

Searching for the barcode on a Coca Cola Ireland thing finds hundreds to thousands of listings; not just one from one wholesaler.

Advertisement