Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Brianod73

Only work from office 3 days a week and use wife's car if going anywhere as a family (people carrier so easier and bigger). Usually drive it down to 20-30% and then charge up to 100% over 3-4 consecutive nights. Only need to do this every few weeks. Keeps the costs very low (about Euro6 to get back full). Have OBD and shows no effect on battery to date - although car quite new at 4 months old only. Will continue to keep an eye on it longer term to see if notice anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

The poster's usage of short daily trickle charging is one of the most gentle ways to charge a battery and given that it's LFP, there is nothing to be concerned about. In essence, these batteries are fine with charging without thinking accompanied by the ocassional empty to full cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah would have thought that slow charging regime would be very easy on the battery alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Seal nowhere near old enough for meaningful insight into battery degradation

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

As an example, I travel Blanch to Bray 5 days per week return trip. This is approx 38kms per trip which is 380 per week. Add on another 120appeox for evening and weekend running about so approx 500km per week. Each trip over the m50 uses approx 8% of battery. I could easily do the Mon - Fri work runs on a full charge however I typically charge 3-4 times per week times from 2-6am. This 4hr slot will pull approx 26kwh which is a little under 1/3rd of a charge (82kwh battery). I’m spending somewhere in the region of €7-8 per week where I was spending €50-60 on diesel. I think I’m in the sweet spot in terms of kms travelled & cheap night rate.,which really maximized the benefit of EV savings. (Forgetting totally about the €46k the car costs 😉)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭DEFIE

anybody get the online manual in the car to work ?

nope. Or Netflix (error 1006 on boot). Or Disney (starts fine, you can see the selections but when you play anything, it’s audio only with blank screen). YouTube is perfect though.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭DEFIE

I can understand why Netflix and Disney are an issue 😂. The manual is supplied by BYD so that should at least be active

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

You could easily have spent the same on a diesel, I mean the most popular car last year was the 40k ice Tucson afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭DrPsychia

Do you prefer the Seal over the M3? If you had to choose between the M3 or Seal for a baby seat and buggy, considering the M3 has more storage but less rear passenger space, which would you buy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tough choice.

On baby seat alone, Seal.
    for all the tuff you need when going away, M3. after that it’s all subjective to styling etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

I'd also factor in the 7k+ price difference and much higher APR if financing

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just peachy to know that I'm sharing the road with even more idiots distracted by YouTube sh1te that they'll swear they weren't watching, only listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

On the other hand you have the longer warranties with BYD. There's an awful lot to consider.

I’ve never watched it while driving. The question was asked, and answered. Convenience for passenger. No need to be a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Yeah, I guess there's loads of minor differences.

A few others I can think of is that the Seal has a bigger range but is less efficient. It also has no dashcam but a nicer interior (imo). Also you are not tied into BYD apps only with Android Auto and Apple Carplay supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jaymac430

Also, the price difference is only if you pick the white M3 with black interior and 18inch alloys. Start changing any of those, and the price difference closes very quickly.

Although very subjective, IMO the Seal (for me at least) is a much better car. I test drove both several times, and researched both fairly intensively (read reviews, watched you tube reviews), and finally bought the Seal.

In my time with the car (since Apr), the software and app has been updated several times. Although still not perfect, the vast majority of software concerns have been very well addressed, and that is on top of a fundamentally excellent car.

I suggest that you test drive both (a few times if you can) and then decide. The M3 is definitely a great car, but it’s the Seal for me. For you it might be different, and that’s OK 😀

I can pretty much echo your sentiments after a similar time spent in the Seal. Opted for the Design spec in ice blue with black interior. Had test drove 2 x M3s and fell in love with the responsiveness (both were DMs) - unreal power, but the seal for me at least was more striking in appearance and the responsiveness was really good, and once in sport mode, it's plenty quick if that's your thing. I much preferred the interior of the Seal also but totally understand the subjective nature in this field. Boot is a tad disappointing (wont take a full bag of clubs without removing the driver - 1st world problem I know); a full hatch setup would have been a better option I feel. Interior space is excellent, front and back.

Charging has been a dream, between 2-6am several times per week at home. Still in the honeymoon period so very conscious of parking, particularly in/around the Blanch Center area and trying my best to keep it pristine in appearance, despite the shite weather we are dealing with and those tools that look for something nice in a carpark and then park as close to it as is physically possible.

Agreed on the app improvements but I would really like to see them reset the reversing 'bong' to an audible level. Funny how you get lazy and come almost to depend on it in certain situations. I did downgrade the SW to allow sideloading and despite adding plenty of .apk files, I've really have not used anything other that Spotify. This will eat through the 1GB data allowance in no time so it's important to hotspot to your phone if you are listening to music online. Radio reception can be very hit and miss; I can only imagine how bad it must be in rural areas.

Apart from the relatively minor shortcomings, it does turn heads, particularly on a nice day, and I still find myself admiring the lines after 4mths of ownership. All in all, very happy with it. To think what it replaced had 270,000kms on the clock when it was sold nots so long ago, and I'm sitting at just over 7,000km now. Long may it last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Buttros

I can echo the sentiments above. Test drove the M3 Ioniq 6 and Seal, went with the Seal. 12,000 km later I'm still very happy. I added the dash cam bought off AliExpress for less than 100. Was very easy in fairness and all the wiring is there waiting. Clean job.

Havent sideloaded anything. Use the native Spotify app a lot. Change to portrait mode for that 😁... Partially because I can but find it useful for having the list of upcoming songs if a random playlist is playing.

Im also a golfer (debatable) and find the boot a little disappointing. It's probably the biggest plus I'd give the M3. I fit everything in but it's tight. No way I'd get a second bag in there beside my caddy car and bag.

The space passengers have always gets comments. It's not a small car. Given the club's are in the boot shopping generally goes in the back along the floor. Loads of room there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

And imagine if every single person driving a car had some kind of portable computerised device that allows them to watch content, chat to people, video calls, check stuff online...

Imagine the absolute carnage on the roads.

Holding or supporting your phone by any part of your body while driving is explicitly illegal.

Watching a YouTube video on your big screen is not explicitly illegal, though is clearly significantly distracting.

We don't need to imagine the carnage. It's on the news most days, very substantial Increases in road deaths.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko at

its covered under existing driving whilst distracted legislation. And enforced as such

I agree totally. I see it every day on the M50 both ways, particularly when busy, the amount of people with their head buried in their phone is startling. I'd say that the vast majority of incidents that happen on this route (and no doubt, others) would be rear end shunts, typically caused by the above. A lot of people on the road simply have no comprehension of the impact that a fraction of time with their focus off the road impacts their ability to react and stop safely in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

You're picking an obscure use case to make your point, poorly I might add.

Nobody mentioned holding or supporting a phone, I was referring to how easy it would be to use YouTube on a mobile device in a cradle, exactly the same result as above that you are complaining about.

I'd estimate that there are 100s of times more collisions and injuries due to mobile phone usage than there are YouTube usage in the above example.

It's not enforced. I've brought video evidence of drivers with YouTube playing on dash mounted phones to Gardai and they have refused to prosecute, as it's not explicitly illegal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ireland doesn’t need a CyclingMikey

Now before you go on a rampage. It’s tongue in cheek.

• Advertisement

it doesnt work that way, i suspect you may know this.

Advertisement