Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpetright Ireland closing ??

Options
  • 22-07-2024 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Looks like another company could disappear from Ireland over 200 stores closing in the u.k looks like Republic of Ireland is affected aswell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭beachhead

Story I read last week said Irish stores not yet affected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭JVince

Unfortunately all Irish stores will close with immediate effect.

Only 54 of 272 stores will be taken over by Tapi Carpets. None are in Ireland.

Unlikely the stores will reopen tomorrow.

Staff will get statutory redundancy and all holiday pay due as is normal. Social welfare fund pays if the company doesn't have the money.

For customers. If you have an order and have paid cash or made a bank transfer, it unfortunately will be a loss for you.

If you paid by card (credit or debit), and have not received the goods, you simply do a charge back. They will want proof, but news articles will most likely suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Markd518

Really? Where did you see that?

Some articles saying European division not included in sale others saying they are included

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭drury..

Something tells me the co won't have any money

They'll have drained the swamp

They lost almost £80m last year. They haven't had money for quite a while.

I'm just surprised that they lasted so long as they were exceptionally expensive and the stores were dreadfully drab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Where did you get that? Newspaper and TV I saw said the Irish operation wasn't included. Has there been an update?

Edit - All carpetright stores in Ireland have closed.

A staff member in Naas has confirmed this.

Tapi carpets gave a list of the 54 store they are taking over. None were in Ireland (north or south)

Post edited by JVince on

Have domestic carpet sales gone down a lot from their peak

Presumably they have

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes. Carpetright also sold lino which has also collapsed in popularity; and laminate which is still going but mostly as retrofit.

Most new houses have hard flooring (tiles or engineered wood, not laminate) downstairs, and in upstairs home offices, playrooms etc; tiles in kitchen/bathrooms and carpets only in bedrooms; if at all.

By comparison in the 80s my parents had lino in the kitchen and big bathroom, and carpet everywhere else including, hideously, in the en suite and understairs toilet.

The hall and stairs carpet, and the kitchen lino would wear like crazy and be replaced quite frequently. There was a carpet shop in the town, which was maybe a fifth of the size of today; because there was much more demand. There isn't one now.

I know lads flat out with a few vans on the road doing carpet but I think it's all commercial , hotels and the like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tenbob1

Every building in the country still needs floors !

There is very few stand alone carpet shops left, most now do smooth flooring as well, wood, tile and LVT. The main problem with Carpetright was the cost of their products, customers tend not to fall for gimmicky never ending "sales" anymore, and are a lot more savvy than they were years ago.

I'd say one of the problems was the name carpetright

Why would u stick with that if they sell wood/lino and the domestic carpet market has dwindled

Established named and people would know that its flooring in general. Right Price Tiles also sell laminate (and bathroom suites!)

Could be right

To me carpetright says carpet and if I want laminate I wouldn't be querying if they also sell laminate.

My 2c anyway . I wonder what % of sales is carpet

Considering they had 7 stores in Ireland, the total lack of news coverage of the closing and seemingly zero affected customers, tells how poorly they were performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Markd518

I was thinking the very same there is no news coverage of it all. Website is still up and running aswell 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

They were awfull to deal with would not even supply an off cut sample as in a few cms to take home which was common practice with any other company Ive ever dealt with!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭cml387

They were also gougers

Tried to add two full containers of lino adhesive to the order to do a 4sqm room, and charged me "delivery" for the lino.

The fitter, who I was to pay seperately, picked it up on his way to the house - they delivered it nowhere.

• Advertisement

Currys and tile places always seemed to be at that

They sting you on the tv brackets etc

Part of the business model with them

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

I bought stuff off them this year. Awkward to do...skeleton staff...silly processes etc. Place was always empty. My floors are lovely. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I tried to order carpets off them before - I ended up going with another provider. I imagine if my experience is typical then I'm not surprised they've shut up shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A lot of Irish arms of UK businesses are really badly run. Seems they can't do anything without HQ's say so and HQ is only vaguely aware, if at all, that we are a different country.

Go into Halfords and look at the sample number plates on the wall… yes.. white and yellow! 🙄

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Halfords also have P (voluntary equivalent of our N) plates for sale, and UK car stickers.

TK Maxx repeatedly getting in stuff with UK or English flags on them is another one.

And Kingfisher (B&Q/Screwfix) selling UK metric plumbing, at least B&Q also sells Irish size. Its now introduced so much UK metric stuff in to the system that you can never quite be sure what has been used.

Actually amazed we don't get TeamGB olympics related promotions here, or England football.

Is this a big issue . The selling of UK plumbing supplies here

Could you inadvertently end up with UK stuff that doesn't fit or what's the story there

Very. Basically, the UK went metric, and we didn't. There is also a difference between measuring the inside and outside of the pipe

Using UK 15mm external diameter pipe with our half inch (14.7mm external, as the 12.7mm half inch is the inside of the pipe) fittings can break them, vice-versa and they can leak.

If you buy stuff in Screwfix, it will all be UK metric. In B&Q and Homebase, they usually have them side by side. Woodies now also sells UK metric but its clearly marked - they sort of have to, as there are people who have fitted out entire houses using it bought in Screwfix or similar who need to get replacements/addons!

The Hep2o plastic plumbing system has Irish size 1/2 fittings for a fraction of their full range, and as far as I know doesn't have them for the other three sizes they do in the UK; these have grey end caps instead of white which makes it easy to notice at least.

You can get straight connectors that are UK one side, Irish the other - possibly even elbow connectors and T-s with it actually. I had to, out of desperation in terms of opening hours, get a circulation pump with UK 22mm fittings to connect to 3/4inch pipe and got the connectors in Woodies for this.

Ok thanks, so safest to avoid the diy stores completely and go to the plumbing suppliers where the plumbers get their gear

Yeah, although if any DIYer has done a job in your house before your ownership, you could have some UK stuff you don't know about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Shows how much I pay attention to DIY to not know ireland is not metric or though about it

Advertisement