Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

You rule out people with convictions standing for election in America and you'd get highly politicised convictions occurring constantly.

So many other people in American politics should have convictions against them but don't as they can cheat the system.

Clinton is the same level of sleazebag as Trump is it's just he's been better at covering it up because he's from the right political party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Shoog

You can't vote with conviction so why the hell should you be able to stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,131 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭threeball

Unfortunately if Trump gets in we're a heartbeat away from President JD Vance. Someone who hasn't held down a single job since his 20s and a proxy for Peter Thiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's the pick that really needs to be scrutinized. Drill baby drill, into why Trump picked him.

• Advertisement

Nobody told him it was a choice to make your entire campaign strategy attacking Joe Biden?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/us/politics/2024/07/22/trump-asks-refund-funds-republicans-spent-on-biden-campa/

🥹

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This sounds more like a conspiracy theory and I presume you wouldn't take such a daft stand so maybe you can show us exactly how Clinton was able to cover up the allegations against him whereas Trump despite having his expensive legal team could not (and ended up a convicted felon due to his rape charges)?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Republicans should be “reimbursed for fraud”.

You mean Trump actually paid the bill this time?

I guess people have learned to look for payment up front from Trump, him being so honest and trustworthy and all at that sort of thing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The key point hidden in there is that he won't debate with Harris. At least he has some sense of his own abilities.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Trump’s a shoe in now . I lived in America during an election and they will never vote a woman into the presidency

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wouldn't call her young. She's 60 years of age. She is, however, younger, and by a not insignificant margin. An interesting statistic would be that if she went with Mark Kelly as her VP pick, the combined age of the Democratic ticket (120) would still be higher than the combined age of the Republican one @ 118. This will probably be a counterpoint that Republicans will go with as and when Kamala's relative youth is talked about.

But anyway, it's still a bit presumptive to think that Harris will be the nominee. Probably the favourite with Biden and the Clintons behind her, as well as many other figures in the party voicing their support, but Obama's words hint at a disagreement on this within the camp.

As I've said before, Trump will not want to relinquish power if he obtains it once again, so there better be no Democratic politicians pussyfooting about a run, even if they think they've a shot, because they want to wait until 2028. It is quite possibly an existential matter with regards to American democracy.

we very nearly did. Hillary was just unlikable and didn’t campaign in swing states like she needed to. Don’t think this criticism flies anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

All I remember between Obama and Clinton were that they , all white blue collar , would rather have a black man than a woman . Would Hillary run again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

If Trump's opponent puts a lot of energy into being likeable, not being divisive of the population and reminding the electorate of Trump's scummy behaviour, they're a shoe in. Black, white, brown, female, monkey, doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It would take something outrageous to happen at this stage for her not to be the nominee. Basically every single heavy hitter has come out to support her, including every single one of the likely competition for the job.

Obama's message was the same as during 2020. He sees himself as the elder statesman of the party and doesn't take sides until the decision is official. He'll be all over supporting Harris once it is.

Vance's first speech today was very poor - he has nearly zero charisma. He might improve but I'm not sure.

Unlike Pence, he isn't additive to Trump. He does absolutely nothing to help bring in new voters, more likely to put them off, if anything.

Harris can counter him easily with a guy with a similar background but is actually likeable.

Looking at the VP options, it's hard to look past Shapiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭amacca

I thought the video above explained fairly convincingly

They (republicans) think/thought they have it in the bag and he's destined to basically be trumps beatch....all the hallmarks of a dangerous but useful goon underneath more potentially dangerous and perhaps slightly more intelligent and nastier goons...water seeks its own level/birds of a feather especially when the vp pick isn't thought to be needed to convince a certain portion of the electorate/voters to.....ahem plump for trump.

• Advertisement

Trump seems to be confident that he has enough votes without needing to make too many overtures toward the middle ground. Whether or not this is a correct calculation remains to be seen. It seems important to Trump and his team that his administration will be staffed with MAGA from top to bottom. No more pesky individuals who prioritise things like the US Constitution over Trump's personal wishes. That's why relative moderates like Pence are out (not that he'd want back in when a gaggle of pro-Trump people wanted to hang him the last time), and why another Trump presidency should be a worrying concept to every undecided American voter.

The other thing is that the co-chair of the Republican party said earlier this year that the party planned on hiring a load of partisan poll watchers and poll workers in swing states. I suppose those will be the people tasked with handling the 'bags of crap' that Trump talked about. And if those poll workers are hired and work the election and the election does go to Trump, the Democrats will possibly call the result into question, but won't have a leg to stand on if Trump can gut the various government administrations, replacing them with loyalists, so that any Democratic calls for an investigation won't go far.

I've posted about this second point a few times, and can provide a quote from the RNC co-chair, if anyone is interested, but the response is always crickets 'til now. Is no one else here concerned about that at all, and if not, why not?

Probably the most likely but I'd prefer Beshear.

Extremely popular in a red state without going the Manchin route, neuters most of the potential attack angles at Harris, and the lowest downside if elected - as he cant run for gov again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭amacca

Not sure your latter point. Elections are run by the states and any lawsuits/investigations would be pushed through before Trump got back into office.

On Vance, I agree in part but I'd say a bigger element is that big donors were pushing for Vance. For Trump, Vance has a good story on paper that he could 'sell' and one that Trump would prefer to align himself with - a white man, military, ivy league. Vance isnt MAGA though, he is what Trump prefers more than that - a social climber who will do/say anything for power.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭thatsdaft

while Kelly be great pick I don’t think they will pick him as it makes a potential hole in senate which democrats can’t afford, same for other senators

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just last week there was a really odd story involving Tucker Carlson(remember him ?!!) about him phoning trump from Australia and telling trump that if he didn’t pick Vance there’d be an attempt on his life or words to that affect.

I think Vance was a pick akin to bringing on a defender to protect a lead late in the second leg. Which was fine when Biden was still in, but Harris while not the nominee just yet, has all the momentum. I saw on NBC news a couple of hours ago that they are hearing that people within trump circles are second guessing the Vance pick.

Possibly, but I would say that the presidency is important enough to risk losing a senatorial seat, even if it means losing control of the Senate. I base this on what Trump would be likely to do if he gets back in, attempting to take supreme control of the executive branch and possibly naming more Supreme Court judges, if any step down during another term for him.

They could go with Shapiro, who might help garner votes in Pennsylvania, an utterly vital state, but he's Jewish, and I wonder how much bias against that there would be in the dark part of many American hearts. Wouldn't be something Trump would have any problem doing a creepy dog whistle on in some way, either, despite his son-in-law being Jewish, as well as being very pro-Israel. A woman of colour as president and a Jewish person as VP might be a bridge too far, unless the charisma is particularly high and the message is electrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

My biggest fear is that American Voters will just decide to vote for the Republican who shull not be named because he was a ao called President before personally I only remember America being run by a Clown then and that they do havec confidents in Harris or whoever the Democrats elect to run as they have not seen or know them enough.

I Hope I am wrong do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

They can risk a senate seat more than a gubernatorial mansion.

And the AZ special election rules mean the gov. would have to appoint a Democrat to finish Kelly's term until iirc the next primary in 2026, with a special election coinciding with the primary. I could be wrong about that but I do know the seat isn't just flung open anytime soon. And besides, as VP Kelly wouldn't vacate his seat until the next congress, which could look different after november anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

So the MAGAs can rehash all the muck they hurled when they beat Hillary, with added racism.

Advertisement