Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Clear pull of the Jersey being ignored not seen ……….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Village87

Another area Kilkenny need to look at is the bench, our bench has been terrible all year and really highlights the lack of depth in our squad. In the semi final Clare's bench was much stronger than ours. Yesterday they brought on Ryan Taylor, Lohan, Ian Galvin, Cian Galvin, Mounsey, they did not weaken the team at all. They also brought on Shanager, Meehan and Morey who had a lesser impact. Kilkenny do not have a squad of tried players like that and fair play to the Clare management.

Kilkenny need to use the league to blood in 8/9 new player as we badly need them. Lawlor(if around), TJ (if around) can take the league off

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Yeah I'd agree with you on that! That was one of the biggest disappointments I had after the semi final that they went back to the older lads and didn't trust Molloy, Murphy or Wall when the chips were down, I don't think any of those 3 would have done any worse than what we had in the second half.

I'd agree with you about the league too, the first thing we need to do is pick a centre back and leave them there the whole of the league and let them get experience there. I know we'll want to do well during the league and we'll be giving out here if we lose a few games but I'd gladly take a struggle during the league if it meant we'd found 3/4 more good options for our championship match day squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Box to box

We got to a league final with molloy,shame Murphy,luke hogan and Owen Wall getting experience but management didn't trust them when the others came back. Massive lack of trust in the squad the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Nedflanders02

That's exactly my point! They did well when ever they got a chance but when things started heating up they were left aside. For better or worse next year we are going to have to go with these lads and give them and maybe 3/4 more new players a good run during the league. If at the end of the league next year we still don't have a centre back, another option in the full back line and a couple of new forwards for either starting or to bring off the bench we'll be in the exact same position we are this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Charlie69

It said a lot about our strength in depth when there was absolutely no debate on here or anywhere else when our team was named for the semifinal. We all knew it was our strongest team in comparison to Clare where Ian Galvin, Ryan Taylor and a couple of others could feel unfortunate to be left out.

I’m convinced we have the players but the management didn’t trust them for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Formosa

`Regarding this bit:

Never thought I’d live long enough to feel sorry for Cork losing an AIF, but I do, they were desperately unlucky to not have at least got a draw (and remember they were badly done by ref in first match v Clare in 2013 also).

I saw a lot of online complaining about their treatment by the ref in th3 2013 final.

Lets not forget, the quarter final v KK, Shefflin got two yellows, including one of the softest ever (which was subsequently rescinded) for the first one. Meanwhile Shane O'Neill wore the hurl across Larkin's chest for the penalty and no sign of a card.

We were still in the game at that stage and a red for Cork (when comparing the severity of the pull to Shefflin's 1st yellow it merited a 2 year ban) could have changed the outcome.

In the semi final, the ludicrous sending off of Ryan Dwyer by Owens arguably turned the match that Dublin had been in control of. Again, a joke of a first yellow in the early stages.

So 45 seconds of additional extra time in that final isn't much for them to gripe about in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

I have to admit that the 2013 semi final and Jamie Coughlan's antics came to mind yesterday when I started feeling sorry for Cork. Some similarities between the two games too, Cork being involved obviously, the public delighted with spectacle and the result, but the loser feeling hard done by the ref and most neutrals not willing to entertain their grievances.

Having said that Cork have been brilliant for the Championship this year and it will be all the sweeter for them when they do eventually win it

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Marrooned

the trouble with the league is that you really have to stay up, so you need to have reasonable campaign. Relegation would serve no purpose this would totally demoralise the county, However the Walsh cup could be used with about seven new players being blooded every match and maybe play these young lads alongside the likes of Buckley,Wally,and Fogarty and all the good performers retained for the following match. Cody tried this years ago and it worked we actually got to and won a league final with Gorta, fast Eddie etc. but the Walsh cup is the key great if you win it far from a disaster if you lose it.we shouldn’t be pissing off players, let them prove themselves they couldn’t surprise us.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Interesting thing about this Clare victory is it is not backboned by recent u20 and/or minor success. Goes to show that it is possible to win All Irelands without recent underage success. We just need to find the right players with the right desire and tactics. Surely there are better players than Forgarty and Walsh in the county that are not on the team.

• Advertisement

It had the spine of the players with all ireland medals from 2013 and conlon,kelly and sod really stepped up. Alot of cork forwards didn't perform. Dalton,Hayes and connolly.this was a big occasion and this Clare team are on the road a good few years. Lohan got a lot wrong the last few years but he wasn't afraid to go with hogan,leen and mark Rodgers.They had a bench of Taylor,galvin etc. I remember two years ago tullow of clare played kierans and Adam hogan played center back and he didn't exactly stand out. He was marking Harry shine the same day. Fast foward two years later he is young hurler of the year. He played last year.We can't get a player from the u20 team onto the panel. Lyng was completely wrong for not trusting or trying lads. He was way too Conservative. As soon as we wobbled in the league he brought back tj for the waterford match in that storm. We blatantly needed a corner back and center back but they went back to Cody's team for the 2nd year in a row despite it failing twice and paid a huge price.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Fogarty is passed it but Wally still has a lot to offer imo I think it’s forgotten he missed most of the season with a groin injury was it and he just never regained any type of form he should have been brought on so soon against Clare we needed pace not strength

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jamesbond2022

We need to accept we are actually going through a big transition the next few years and need to blood at least 10 players to have a panel cable do of winning an all Ireland

We need to go back to come forward again so if that means getting relegated in the league so be it a little bit of short term pain for long term gain

• Registered Users Posts: 29 neverbet

Adam Hogan and Mark Rodgers are exceptional. They have been young hurler of the year nominees and they along with Leen, the find of this year have stood out the in the Fitzgibbon cup. In our good years players from KK dominated that competition. Alas ,ithat is not the case recently. Anyone in early enough prior to our league game v Clare in Ennis March 12, will have seen at first hand a running program being completed by four Clare players returning from injury, Shane O'Donnell, Tony Kelly, David McInerney and Ryan Taylor. Hugely impressive athletes and leaders for their team. Got their reward yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

There was a difference in standard in the 2 semi finals, Clare upped it significantly for the final, their best 2 performances of the year by a distance were their 2 games v Cork. Ye might have done the same, just 1 of those hypothetical one's.

Not going to win any All Ireland with 15 hurlers with no competition for places and no impact off the bench. Look at the impact of some of the substitutes yesterday. Kilkenny have no competition for the first team and no impact off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

We would not have stuck with either Cork or Clare if we made it to the final. Delighted we didn't another loss would have been catastrophic. Huge changes are required for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Marrooned

ye I remember seeing that going on we thought they were warming up. On the Fitzgibbon, I think it’s a bit of ethnic cleansing even in Carlow and Waterford which were dominated by KK players. The Dublin university’s and Limerick colleges, Cork colleges never picked our lads.

Huge changes were required last year and nothing happened so I wouldn't be confident we will see a huge overhaul. We will see 4 or 5 retirements so that will mean we will see new faces but management have shown little faith in the squad. It remains to be seen if Derek stays on because players will have to be tried and there's going to be potholes in the road. Huw lawlor would be a huge loss. I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

I actually think when we look back on this all ireland in a few months. It will be seen as a massive missed opportunity to pick up a all Ireland. Recency bias will laud this final but they shot over 30 wides between them and some of the defending for goals was comical. Fair play to Clare but the green giant is angry now and you can expect a response any year they are knocked out is a opportunity to pick up a All Ireland. Like Tipp in 19

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭hogans heroes

OUr greatest achievement IMO was coming back after 10 and more so 13 to win the next 2.unbelievable what we achieved when you think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭hogans heroes

On cork, they had a couple of poor decisions not go there way this year especially at under 20 when the ball was in the net v tipp and not given, most scandalous decision all year

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Our age profile in 10 was maybe 4 years younger than the current limerick team and we introduced a few to freshen up the panel I can't see limerick winning 4 out of the next 5 All Irelands like we did

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Hurlingtothebone

Just wondering what Donovan has done to seem to be a good coach ?

I would think we are one of the worst coached teams in the country. We never seem to have any sort of a game plan. That's just my opinion maybe I'm way off

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I do think we have a plan. But once the pressure comes on we panic and revert to route one. You can blame the players etc but IMO its the sideline. I feel the emanagement team are to slow to react and not proactive to when the oppostion changes tactics. That second half against Clare was prime example. We waited to long to change things and then when we did change it was the complete opposite of what was needed. Fresh legs were needed that could run with the ball.

I said at the beginning of year to win the All Ireland you needed a team of 20 players to have any chance to beat Limerick and win the All Ireland. I think if you want to win next year the 5 off the bench will be more important than your first 15. They will be the ones who will get you over the line.

Leinster hurling won't get a look in next year with the demise of Galway. It will all revolve around the rivalry between, Clare, Cork and Limerick .

Joe FitzPatrick from Dunnamaggin started on th UCC Fitzgibbon team in the quater final against UL. Ian Byrne from Glenmore came on for UL. A good few Kilkenny boys on the DCU and Maynooth teams but those colleges didn't get past the group stages. Doesn't seem to be many Kilkenny hurlers in Carlow or Waterford but I may be wrong on that

DCU have quiet a few KK players. Hard for KK players to break onto UCC and UL teams fair play to those that do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Charlie69

We were a bit unlucky in last year’s final and this year’s semifinal to lose the toss and end up playing into the wind in the second half of both games. In both of those games when the pressure came on we tried to go long into the wind over two very dominant wall like half back lines. It also made the long range frees so much tougher for TJ.
    The high ball hanging in the wind was made for those half back lines.

The other side of that of course with regard to the Clare match is it was so disappointing to see we hadn’t learned anything from last years final.

Advertisement