Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under-20 2024 Team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What happened Portugal, thought they were the big improvers at under-age ?

Scotland seamed to have improved big time in a short space, good to see Spain improving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭conquestscarer

So hard to make predictions at this stage. For example this time last year Usanov was a backrower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's right. Even in down years there's been some good players that have come through.

I'd think Evan Moynihan will be involved. Superb prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Nothing. They had 3 good years in trophy before covid close to qualifying for world championship, finishing in top 3 of world trophy and then haven't qualified for trophy since. You have to qualify from European u20 competition every year for trophy and they haven't been able to do that.

• Advertisement

YYeah And always a few guys from clubs who will very much be under radar compared to their school counterparts as far fewer here will have seen them play

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnh6767

No comparison between this year and last , but that’s fine i always felt it was an unfair comparison as last year was a golden produce. Coming 4th isn’t something to sniff at although it would have been better if they played and beat Australia. Great tournament always a great watch and England deserved victors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

4th is a good result in a vacuum but a 50% win rate (with the wins coming over a dreadful Italy team and a scrappy one over Georgia) is not particularly impressive, by the extremely high standards set by recent u20 teams. Nevertheless, results aren't the be all and end all at this level, and I still think there's a healthy amounts of international prospects in the 2004 group.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

fair eneogh, surprised they are so far behind Spain, given progress of senior team

So lads, would Murphy have done better with this squad.

• Advertisement

Maybe but he wasn't there so why bother even speculate about it.

It's kind of the whole point of a forum, we're not exactly crafting policy on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnh6767

😂 funny response.

I don’t think so , there was little change from 6N to WC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

Need to remember the 6N was largely disrupted also due to Murphy being involved with Ulster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't really see a coach being the difference between Ireland and England/France/New Zealand. Murphy couldn't have improved the scrum and the awful restarts were there under his tenure as well.

Maybe. I'd say the team looked better in the 6nations. In my mind, it was a poor performance in this tournament.

It felt any weakness our team had was brutally exposed at the JWC which is usually a sign of a side that isnt very well coached.

It could be depth? But I guess the drop off from Sheehan to Yarr is big. Very big. Also having weak scrummaging does not win tournaments. There was a good bit to like and there was some poor moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rugbynonce

top 3 scrums in tournament

1st England

2nd Georgia

3rd Italy/SA

• Advertisement

Nah because it was the same in the PS, even against Italy where we won comfortably the weaknesses were on show and it was clear once we came up against a side good enough to test us we'd be exposed and we were and then even Georgia managed to do it.

The scrum was the biggest concern issue and it seemed nothing was done too address it.

Not so sure, Ireland would make any teams scrum look good.

I would have loved Ireland and Australia to play just to definitively prove who's the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭theVersatile

A team of 19 year olds being bad at scrums is not indicative if being "poorly coached", let's be real.

Think we've been a bit spoiled by the last few years of 20s teams to be honest. Says a lot about where we are now as a nation that there's people here fuming that we finished 4th.

It wasn't that long ago that we had to beat Japan to avoid relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rugbynonce

finishing 4th would have been well celebrated a few years ago. Another chapter in these young men’s rugby journeys, they will have learnt a lot from this year and go back to AIL to be tested once again. Scrum will improve with practice and experience. It’s not about being 150kg, whilst it helps it is not the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭FtD v2

Saying "nothing was done to fix the scrum" is wrong too.

He changed the prop combination in every game trying to come up with something that worked:

Italy

Boyd

Bell

Calvey

Sparrow

Georgia

Boyd

Sparrow

Bell

Mullan

Australia

Calvey

Bell

Boyd

Sparrow

England

Howard

Bell

Calvey

Sparrow

NZ

Calvey

Mullan

Howard

Sparrow

He called up Ben Howard (a loosehead prop) as a replacement for the injured Evan O'Connell and then put him straight into start in the semi in the home that would help rectify the scrum.

We finished the tournament with two U19s starting at prop, and we lost Usanov (another U19) before the tournament began.

The scrum was unquestionably poor throughout, but claiming "nothing was done to address it" is patently wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lonester99

I wonder what can actually practically be done to address this deficiancy in player development with props, Irish teams currently have pretty much every base covered bar this one it seems, Decent production line of centeres, wings, fullbacks, backrowers, locks….however the one gaping area we see is props with a huge weakness in scrummaging. Is starting full contested scrums at a younger age in schools rugby the answer, better scrum coaches at the underage levels in the provinces, players who are better scrummagers being prioritised in recruitment/selection?, I dont actually know the answer. Perhaps its not that much of an issue and the IRFU will just pray on another freak of nature in Porter and Furlong to come through again. Its an interesting discussion point.

Pushing beyond a metre and a half won't be allowed. It's the same regulation in place everywhere else in the world at those age groups.

Improve coaching. Get more games at higher level - regional and provincial and more coaching be it with provincial coaches or guys like seamus harty.

Post edited by Lost Ormond at

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lonester99

Are England and France doing anything vastly different to Ireland at the moment with props, I know a lot of their players get exposure to higher level matches earlier due to having more pro teams and more gaps to expose them to higher/older levels of opponents. I'm aware the English props at least some of them had premiership/Eurpean cup exposure - at least the Sale lad did, I think France may also have but not sure?

The French props at u20 tend to have very little senior pro experience, the four picked for the final have 18 mins between them. I assume the Top 14 teams are a lot slower to introduce props due to the focus on scrummaging in the league.

The RFU are specifically focused on scrummaging as a key skill (link below). Obviously Opoku-Fordjour is a bit of a phenom but none of their other props have particularly considerable senior experience, outside of a few Premiership Cup appearances.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2023/10/03/england-rugby-front-five-young-players-world-cup/

• Advertisement
Advertisement