Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

While it is unlikely that there are too many future doctors going to be accommodated in the paint factory in Coolock, there probably aren't too many among the tracksuited-hoodie-and-balaclava-on-horseback-no-saddle brigade who are setting fire to it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hundreds of thousands of immigrants who are housed and fed by the state for the rest of their Iives has zero economic benefit to Ireland

Neither do unemployed wastrels and gurriers attacking guards and trying to burn down buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

https://www.thejournal.ie/fencing-on-grand-canal-costs-e30000-per-week-6441920-Jul2024/

Complete and utter piss take

Pissing away thousands of tax payers money to block off one of the only nice public amenities in the capital city

How enriching for us all

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Indeed, Danish and Dutch academics have conducted reports that demonstrates this, certain forms of migration are a net negative on the economy, despite the UN’s wish otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Repro212

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Saud gurriers wouldn't be doing so if govt wasn't inviting all and sundry into the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Exactly this a hundred fold is the real cusp of the problem. Too many well connected muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭patnor1011

He has a problem with scoundrels and dole lifers not seeing that current policy is pretty much to double that cohort every year. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

SF still don't get it. A lot fluffiness about "community consultations" before reverting to where they are...

Sinn Féin will insist that the new policy is grounded in “equality, anti-racism and human rights”

The supporters they've lost and those they are losing don't believe in any of this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/07/23/sinn-fein-pledges-new-migration-system-in-significent-policy-shift/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/07/23/sinn-fein-pledges-new-migration-system-in-significent-policy-shift/

Sinn Féin is pledging to establish a new immigration system that would require an audit of local services such as health, housing, transport and education to be completed before any accommodation centre for asylum seekers is located in a community.

<Mod Snip - Please do not paste the entire article, you have provided the link so the first paragraph is sufficient>

——————————-
    Maybe they'll be something concrete in the pledge about stopping these illegals in the first place but I doubt it. This party and Mary Lou McDonald are living in their own world. They do not live in the same reality as you and I.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭twinytwo

"although the source stressed that nobody would have a veto on the location of facilities for asylum seekers."

We already know at least this much is a lie.

Essentially continue as is. This wont win SF any votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

https://www.thejournal.ie/coolock-site-asylum-seekers-owner-crown-6443214-Jul2024/

Too many snouts in the trough now for anyone to stop it

It’s become an industry now - accommodation, NGOs, translators, caterers, legal aid, tents etc etc

We are witnessing the transfer of an enormous amount of taxpayer wealth to the hands of a small group of people, and anyone who questions this can be shouted down as a “racist” by the compliant media who are hand in fist with the government

**** me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Maybe not but I waited a month for a doctor appointment when a few years ago it would have taken a couple of days. As I left the waiting room foreign voices were entering. As I was there last year arabic men were arguing in the carpark . Go figure.

I think what we need is for people like your good self to pool your resources with your buddies, buy some properties, and make those properties available to the State for free to house asylum seekers!

What do you think they would be doing instead? Cancer research? Building new AI models and creating tech innovation? Civil engineers building Ireland's future infrastructure? Even filling the gap for qualified tradesmen?

Sinn Féin will also recommend that a “two-tier system”, in which Ukrainians enjoy better conditions than asylum seekers from other countries, should end.

This is actually dangerous. The Ukrainians have been granted the right to come here and live here almost as if they are "temporary EU citizens". Their status here is completely different to the asylum seekers. What SF are saying is not (what I presume many eejits will think) that benefits will be removed from the Ukrainians, but that the asylum seekers benefits will be brought up to those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭creeper1

It doesn't matter what SF's audits say.

The AS are going to continue to arrive. Then of course they'll need to be accommodated somewhere.

Not saying any party has a great solution but this Sinn Fein one isn't a panacea by any stretch and importantly the language is softly softly.

Tone is important. Look at what Denmark says you are left in no doubt of how they regard AS.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

This is a significant factor now. There are powerful people making an absolute killing out of this crisis. The government have created a monster and, short of a radical change of policy, its hard to see how things can be turned around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Interesting that the government TDs in the Coolock constituency (Dublin Bay North) are not getting involved at all.

Richard Bruton (FG) isn't running again so doesn't care. Sean Haughey (FF) is filthy rich and doesn't care. He is also retiring to enjoy his considerable Pfizer and Amazon shareholdings.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Perhaps said citizens should identify and consider where their problems and issues stem from and, attack or work on those, rather than tilting at windmills by taking out their frustrations on people who have nothing to do with those causes. Housing shortage for example. While technically exacerbated by every additional person who needs accommodation, not caused by them.

The reason that a section of population have become so enraged at the immigrants is because of the results of those issues. Grifters have pounced upon that discontent to stir it up for their own benefit. It actually makes it more difficult then to solve the immigration issue.

The State has to process these people. They just need to do it more quickly and efficiently and then get rid of the ones that don't get accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Instead of focusing on the outcome, instead look at the causes.. Number 1 in this instance is the Department of Integration's failure to engage with local communities in these areas, isolate those on the fringes from the majority of peaceful protestors who are genuinely concerned with the issues at hand.

Once the "Grifters" are out of the picture then they can go back to terrorising their own housing estates, dealing drugs, causing anti-social behaviour etc. then you don't have to worry about them again eh?

"Engage with the local communities" or "never consulted the local community" is a load of waffle. Do you think the Department is just failing to identify all those other communities around the country that are crying out for asylum seekers to put in the ready-to-go accommodation facilities beside them?

The grifters are not necessarily living in those communities by the way. They are just happy to manipulate and use the great unwashed to their own end.

"Here boys, some foreigners are getting moved into some location and people are giving out. Let's head into that area and see if we can kick off a riot. With a bit of luck we might be able to fulfill our patriotic duty by finding a local shoeshop and breaking in to get new runners during the chaos."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

was a big planning scheme refused in 2019 that looked pretty good? I mean building houses in a housing crises is crazy innit? instead we get this shtshow

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

"Barstool" grasp of the situation I see, won't be engaging in that any further thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mr Ó Laoghaire said the party are outlining what they believe will work, which includes tripling the resources of the international protection office and the appeals tribunal.

Tripling spending on asylum isn't the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

That's fine. Stick with the views and insights of the tracksuited intellectuals wearing balaclavas if you wish. You are free to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dogsdodogsstuff

I feel in the middle on this, but do believe that a huge mistake governments seem to be making is by railroading local communities into accepting certain things without consultation. And I don’t just mean having a local discussion about it, I mean having a national discussion about what should be Ireland’s position on this.

On one hand, I am sympathetic to refugees. Saw a young family outside the D hotel in drogheda and had instant empathy/sympathy for what they must be going through. I also think the violence that we are seeing against them is cowardly, pathetic and not being done in the name of local residents or Irish people. Sounds like a lot of these angry men are lost souls who now have a common cause and they are only too happy to have something to make their lives somewhat meaningful , which in itself is tragic.

On the other hand, when there is such a huge housing crisis and for some reason the governments don’t appear to have any progressive way of handling this , people are rightly angry about it which is increasing xenophobia.

It sort of feels like democracy as we know it is beginning to break down around the world. Partially out of apathy to politics , leaving us with bland, uninspiring career politicians whose primary goal is to stay in power and sort of maintain the dysfunctional status quo. There is alot wrong with how our country is being run and the wastage that goes unchecked.

What we are seeing is decades of frustration coming out and I think it’s only going to get more chaotic as our central leaning parties try to “carry on as normal”. Eventually we will end up with a La Pen situation where a far right piece of sh*t comes on the scene , learns to hide the worst part of their beliefs and convinces the apathetic and raging masses that revolutionary change will make their lives better. It’s coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Yep, Sinn Fein have totally failed to understand the problem and public opinion.

Advertisement