Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endodontist Root Canal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I'm being quoted that similar high rate from most endodontists.

Includes a "core" (unsure what that is), and does not include the crown, which apparently the referring dentist does.

My concern is, in spite of the specialization and money involved, especially with a molar, there's the possibility it may still be unsuccessful; I don't know the percentages, but I'm guessing attending an endodontist gives a better outlook.

This "get it done in one season" versus two seasons doesn't make sense to me, I wouldn't like to think they're going to rush the procedure.

There's an endodontist practicing from the Northbrook clinic, Dr John Lorden, similar prices, anyone know anything about him?

And a dude in Synge St, Dr John Dermody?

Experiences?

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I have two root canals, both done in one session each, by an endo. I think my first one is coming up on 18 years now, without issue but it was crowned right after,

For northbrook, I’ve no experience with him, but I and my wife has experience with northbrook in general and it’s always been positive, and it seems he’s been there for a quite a while.

What teeth were the root canals performed on? Molars?

When you say "crowned right after" as in, the same session?

Endodontists as I understand, just do the root canal and "core", which means the patient is left without a tooth until they get it crowned?

I checked out the northbrook clinic as, with yourself, good experience with their maxillofacial surgeon before. But of course I can't necessarily infer the absolute credibility of all their other practitioners based on that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

As in a couple of weeks after for the crown.

A core is normally to build up any missing tooth mass, it’s a special material. I assume it’s needed for a crown to attach to if there’s not much tooth left due to a fracture, but will let one of the dentists here confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,553 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This is correct, teeth which need root canal treatments are inherently compromised, they wouldn’t need root canal treatment if there weren’t. After the RCT is completed, the teeth should have a crown placed over it to protect it (and your investment). The core is a platform, which usually involves placing posts in the canals of the tooth to a depth of at least 5mm, and which will support/retain the crown.

Some choose not to have crowns placed on teeth after RCT, but if the tooth later cracks, that’s when people realise the importance of the crown, and wish they had followed their Dentist/Endodontist advice to get one.

• Advertisement

Does every root canal have a core/post (what's the difference?) placed in it, to facilitate a crown at a later time?

One would imagine it may be good practice to do so.

So if someone went to the dentist and got a root canal, at what point does the crown come into the picture?

Cause I was onto the secretary of that dude Dr John Lordon in Northbrook clinic and she was like, "bruh, we don't do crowns here, only root canals".

So you leave after getting your root canal with what, a core/post sticking out of your tooth?

I'd hardly think they put a composite filling on it?

I must also say, I find this whole process somewhat traumatizing.

I take pretty damn good care of my health, and was SHOCKED to see a big ass nasty cavity in one of my molars at my most recent check up.

The grief some patients undergo over their teeth, one thing goes wrong, one oversight;

It has the potential to really have consequence in time, in a year, in two years, in five years etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The dentist puts in the post. You get a post if the dentist feels whatever he's putting on top needs extra support and anchoring.

They drill out the root and fill it, if theres a problem and if it's likely to become a problem in the future. Especially if you're doing something expensive on top like a crown.

They usually have a gap between getting the root canal and filling it to let it recover and make sure it doesn't flare up afterwards.

Then there's a gap before the Dentist prepares the top for the crown, then they send off to get it made and fit it when it comes back.

Tooth doesn't have to be gone to have root canal. You might not need a crown....or you might..

Good experiences in both.

But there's no guarantees with medicine or dentistry. Nature isn't that simplistic.

• Advertisement

Correct me here if I'm mistaken;

But I understand root canals can be performed in one sitting now due to more advanced technology (something to do with microscopes) being able to address the nerve treatment process more quickly?

If a molar being treated, by example, has multiple nerves, an endodontist may not be able to treat it in its entirety in one session.

But now a days, due to technology advances, they can simply get it done more quickly and easily.

Dr Lordan's clinic mentioned their treatment comes with a core built into their price (I assume this means "post and core") - which very much sounds to me like they "fill it in immediately" and it's all done and dusted in one session??

If a tooth gets a core, what happens, do they put a temporary crown over until the permanent one is fabricated?

i.e. if you get a core, you're then more or less obligated to get a crown?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,553 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m going to correct you because you are mistaken , whether it can be finished in one appointment or two depends on the symptoms and condition of the tooth/pathology.

Experience of your posts on other threads leads me to conclude you cannot be helped with any meaningful explanation. Suffice to say, you will be advised by the clinician what is the best course of action for you, not for anyone else.

Stop asking for clinical analysis and advice for what you need, whatever advice is offered by others is based on experience of their circumstances, not yours.

Never had a RCT in one sitting. I have had RCT that didn't have a crown and it lasted 20+ yrs.

Everyone's teeth are different. Its not something I'd be rushing or 2nd guessing an expert with the first thing you found on YouTube.

Cool. I was just curious why most endodontic sites are claiming they can finish a root canal in one session.

Advertisement