Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - threadbans and mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭Christy42

It seems Biden pulling out is a massive surprise for Republicans. I think they thought they would get to push for him pulling out for 6 months but not have it actually happen. They are very much the dog that caught their tail as you can tell here as they switched from demanding he pull out of the race to saying it was a horrible thing to happen.

Now they have put out attack ads against their own candidate. Trump has had issues remembering names, falling asleep a lot and is the oldest nominee the run for President. Before they could say Biden was older but now all their previous attacks very obviously apply to Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Even Fox News are struggling with the idea that people are now pointing out Trump's age.

https://dailyboulder.com/fox-host-demands-democrats-stop-pointing-out-trumps-age-after-relentlessly-attacking-biden-for-being-too-old/

The simple fact is Trump regularly makes mistakes while speaking, gets names wrong, gets information wrong even when he's not just trying to lie about it. But Biden was slightly worse with it and moved and looked noticeably older after the past 4 years. So Biden's age was the factor when compared to Trump.

Now with Biden gone, and with Trump officially being the oldest Presidential nominee ever, those age-related concerns have to be applied equally to Trump. Whereas Trump supporters are now cutting out snippets of Harris' speeches to take sentences out of full context to try make her look bad by comparison (not saying she hasn't occasionally flubbed her lines either but to a much lesser extent than Trump or Biden ever have).

And in fairness to the Republicans being surprised Biden dropped out, I am too. I didn't think he'd do it. The likes of Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Dianne Fienstein, even Pelosi…. how these people are so determined to dig their heels in for god knows what reason rather than step aside and support the next generation is just beyond me. After winning the primaries, I didn't think Biden would ever step down even with his debate performance and the Dems turning on him. Can only say fair play to him for stepping down in enough time to let Kamala make a decent stab at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

The timing of the announcement couldn’t have been worse for Trump. Just after the republican convention and his announcement with Vance, Biden steps down and the Dems row quickly behind Harris.

Now the assassination attempt is old news, Vance looks like a terrible pick, the attack strategy is out the window and everything he’s been saying about Biden is being asked of him.

Nothing is decided yet but it’s been a bad few days for him, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Trump regularly makes mistakes while speaking, gets names wrong, gets information wrong even when he's not just trying to lie about it.

But is he much worse with this stuff than he was 20 or 30 years ago? Trump seems pretty sharp and vigorous to me for a man pushing 80. I don't think harping on his age will be a big winner for the Dems, it'll look like they're stuck for more substantial criticisms…

Reading on Twitter that Trump doesn't seem happy with his VP pick, because Vance was likely pushed on him by others (Don.Jr, Peter Thiel and Musk) with Thiel and Musk giving a lot of financial support after he was picked. Vance is bombing hard and is unlikely to bring any new voters to Trump. Plus Harris now has the advantage of picking a VP would could counter Vance (money seems to be on Mark Kelly who is a Senator, former astronaut and former US Navy Captain).

• Advertisement

Oh I think there are plenty of criticisms against Trump which will be focused on far more. Even Kamala was talking about her experience as an attorney and dealing with guys who sexually assault women, who are conmen, criminals etc, and so she knows guys like Donald Trump.

The point about Trump's age is simply that the majority of criticisms levelled at Biden for when he trailed off, misspoke, got names/details wrong, Trump now becomes more of a target for it. The age-related spotlight hasn't been turned off, it'll now be shining on Trump, and Trump mostly got away with it just because Biden was slightly worse. The Republicans and the media focused so much on Biden's age-related issues that they now can't ignore when Trump does the same and why their previous criticism and concern for Biden doing it now doesn't apply to Trump.

Trump doesn't look or move as frail and old as Biden has the last few years, but he speaks gibberish and nonsense all the time. And he's now offically the oldest nominee in history. He's now the target for any age-related concerns if he flubbs his lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The Republicans and the media focused so much on Biden's age-related issues that they now can't ignore when Trump does the same and why their previous criticism and concern for Biden doing it now doesn't apply to Trump.

They can, and they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Well, some parts of the media anyway. If anything they'll have to be seen to comment on Trump's age so as to not seem unbiased.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭Christy42

I don't think age will be the big point but it just undercuts a lot of what the Republicans have been saying. Rapist felon vs DA seems a bigger winner.

As for Trump he definitely sounds worse than 30 years ago. I remember there was a tape of a court appearance he seemed to be able to make coherent sentences. He was obviously a terrible human being but he is either less willing or able to to put up the act of a competent human being. Unless he shows he can put the act back on it is at least an issue if not the biggest of his flaws.

I can't call him particularly sharp either. The rant about electric boat batteries was hardly sharp and seems to be his level without prompts.

• Advertisement

Kelly would be a smart pick - well regarded American hero type, would be difficult to see Trump relentlessly attacking him and coming out well from it. And you would imagine he would destroy Vance in a debate.

As you say, the democrats have an advantage now because they gave options and they know what they’re against. If they play it well they’re still in with a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Redliketoast

The Republicans said that Bidens age was an issue as he was in decline. They ALSO said that Trump displayed a lot more energy than Biden and his age didnt seem like an issue.

Democrats said that age is not an issue. They also stated that Trump was ALSO declining.

The evidence proved true that Biden declined a lot. The same cant be said for Trump. Could you imagine it was Biden who was shot at? God forbid!! He wouldnt have been able to get down as quick as Trump did. We would be talking about absolute disaster for the world. Look at the rubbish going on right now trying to figure out what happened. Could you imagine these investigations were asking why Biden was killed? Literal war would break out. But thats another topic. The point is that Bidens age was an issue which is not comparable to Trumps (at least yet).

The funny part is that Democrats are now claiming age is an issue afterall!!

As for calling out the media!!! Acting like the media like Trump!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The age thing must have worried trump enough to have him comment on it...

78 = young

81 = old

I can see now why he struggled giving accurate measurements to his NY apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Why would I be worried? I am Irish. I live in Ireland 😂

Just pointing out how silly the whole conversation is. Up to last week everyone was saying that Bidens age wasnt an issue. No wall of a sudden age is! It seems to me that the Anti Trump brigade from their opinions with their hearts and not their heads.

Also, isn’t the Border Czar thing total nonsense?

As for his attack on Kamala’s pole numbers

The defence of Biden over his age was that yeah, he's older and stumbles over his words more, but there wasn't and still aren't signs of any actual cognitive impairment that would affect his role as President. However a lot of Dems didn't want him to run again at all. He did, and he did well enough to win the Primaries. Add in that the incumbent President always has an advantage in an election (with Trump being the one of the few incumbent Presidents to fail to be re-elected).

So Biden had a lot going for him despite his age and while he stumbled over his words more and moved a lot slower. But the issues with his age became more and more evident even after the Primaries and with Trump becoming more likely to beat Biden, it became right for Biden to step down even after winning the Primaries.

I agree. Bidens age wasnt an issue in my opinion. I think his stumbles were. My Grandfather was Bidens age and was doing the Dublin Marathon every year. People age differently. He did have a really bad debate and has been like this for awhile. Whether that was age or something else, it was happening. If your president needs to only work 11 to 4 then that is not great. If that is the president of the USA, then that is worrying. The US President needs to be ready to jump out of bed at 3 in the morning and make world/history changing decisions. Biden doesnt seem capable of that right now. The public do not feel he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Of course I will vote for whoever puts cash in my pocket. But if it's at the cost of paying more taxes, meaning less in my pocket...

I didn't vote in the last election. To me, it's your fecked if you do and fecked if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yeah, you're clearly worried, that's why your account only started posting in these US centric threads in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

This is such utter nonsense even for him I had to look it up to make sure it isn't fake. Barely coherent waffle, can't even spell simple words correctly…and yet his fan club will tell you with a straight face that Biden is the only one with cognitive issues. Delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

A major problem for Trump is not so much his condition today, but at 78 he will be turning 80 during his next term and could easily suffer the same rapid decline that Biden did.

The real issue for Biden was not so much that he performed badly in the debate. However, it was terrible, but everyone realised that he was only going one way and that he couldn't possibly be expected to perform for another 4 years.

That spotlight will now turn to Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 33,413 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

And how does me posting on an Irish Boards change the US election?

I think you might be over estimating how much influence you have.

I am posting about a topic I have an interest in.

So there was two camps

One was pro Trump:

They kept saying Biden was declining. They said Biden wouldnt have a chance,

Second camp was anti Trump:

They said Biden was fine and was 100% going to win.

In the last few weeks, which side do you think have been correct? IF I was a pro Trumper, dont you think I would be more happy at being proven right than worried? Only one side seems to be caught being wrong here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ronjo

you have a point there but its patently obvsious that the Second camp are FAR happier with the Biden step down.

Some of the rants about coups etc have been beyond embarrassing.

Advertisement