Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

he has won plenty in golf already. The 3rd round was a disaster for him and cost him a great opportunity to win a second Major title, opportunity lost no point dwelling on it or hand wringing about some people being upset because he shouted at a camera guy. Interview him in the Irish Examiner he’s turning his focus to the Olympics now.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The shouting at camera men and volunteers and banging clubs into the ground is part of the reason why the 3rd round was such a disaster for him.

He totally lost his head.

yeah, you already said that. I’m sure he’s aware of it. I’ve seen him bang his clubs and swear before, it’s not a new thing. He’s moving on to the next competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm a golf type ....for your information..golf types don't like lads losing head in a group ..because it is very selfish ..distracting and a pain in the hole to watch ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

did you watch his back nine on Sat,playing drivers into par 3s and almost not being able to reach the fairway is lottery golf and 3 of those par 4s were playing as par 5s ,so to suggest he could just shoot 2 or 3 over is a bit unfair,I know some did but it was described as golfing hell by commentators so his poor round has some mitigation.

• Advertisement

you’re not comparing your round of golf with a few pals with the actual competitive sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

But most of his competitors were able to keep some control of their scores on Saturday afternoon, it was only him who had a complete meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Would people ever stop about he was in the worse of the conditions on Saturday. Along with everyone else and he shot the worse round of them all. They all played the same course from unless Shane decided to play off different tee boxes. He lost the head on Saturday and that’s the reason why he didn’t do well. If anything conditions suited a leader as didn’t need to shoot birds. He just needed to keep it in play.

He shouldn’t be giving out to spectators and volunteers. If they’re not there then no event. He gets away with the anger from us because people think it’s passion but we say Hatton isn’t passion he’s just a grump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

I think by now it should be clear that Shane is a bit of an arsehole when things aren't going his way. This can be framed (explained away) a few ways that can include things like he's a competitor or that he's passionate - both of which are absolutely true. Some people like it or live with it for those reasons and honestly that's fine. It doesn't absolve him of the fact that it's arsehole behaviour though and the majority of other passionate and highly competitive players on the tour do not behave similarly, especially towards staff and spectators which bottom line I think is quite telling behavior.

I still support him and really wanted him to win but I'm increasingly getting tired of the manchild tendencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Are you basically saying professional sportsman can behave anyway they want because they're competing?

Bizzare POV but each to their own.

Personally I like Shane when he's being charismatic and dislike him when he's being a childish twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,488 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A +3 on Saturday wouldn't have won it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Justin Rose played in terrible conditions too but to his credit he dug in and put in a great round. He showed a fighting spirit that Shane didn't seem to have.

I don’t give a damn what he’s like on a personal basis. I had €20 each way on him for a top 12 finish. Would have got over €700 if he won but came out with €100. He’s a good golfer for punters. Over the years he has saved his best performances for the Majors and the team events Ryder Cup and so on. He’s usually a good price for these Majors because he’s not particularly highly ranked I don’t think? I hope he’s nice to the wife and kids but that’s none of my business. As regards some camera guy sticking a camera in his face or the “patrons” who shout stuff like “youh the maaaaaan etc”, I couldn’t give a rats ass if Shane is rude to them.

I can't argue he played well on the back nine as he didnt.But he lost 2 shots on the field on the 8th which killed him.

Everything that dropped for him on the first 2 days didnt on the Sat.He just had a bad day in horrendous conditions like Koepka did and JT did yesterday,I mentioned earlier in thread that Shane rarely puts 4 good rounds together,thats why he is a top 50 golfer and not a top 10. I think Shaffeule was the only golfer over 4 rounds that was getting to -9 ,he just looked in control all the time ,so don't think Shane left it behind .

You're fairly animated and opinionated for someone who doesn't give a damn.

Anyway, Shane gets paid big bucks because of fans who pay to go to stand in the rain and watch him play.

He'd do well to treat them with respect. Same as for the people working there.

I think Shane is generally liked as in general hes a likeable friendly lad which shines through.Seems popular with other players and the media,sure he gets upset when he has a bad day.Theres plenty are Aholes when thinks are even going there way.

You’re fairly opinionated and fairly judgmental yourself. Wind your neck in there.

Nobody got hurt, Shane got angry as he saw his chance to win another Major slip away from him having worked so hard to get into a good position.

He’ll be back. I hope he rests up well and will tune in hopeful that he’ll get a medal for Ireland at the Olympics.

I’m not going to sit here bitching about him like a few others on the boards.ie golf pages here. He’s a good player with some exceptional talent around the greens. He has supported his county GAA teams very well I believe and he turns up and plays well in the big tournaments. I like him and if he got a bit tetchy with someone when he was frustrated and angry because he doesn’t like losing it doesn’t bother me all that much. I’ll leave the bitching to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Some people like sticking the boot in when a man is down. Never fails to amaze me. I'm sure all those whinging are absolutely perfect individuals 🙄

As I said a few posts back, I like Shane when he's being charismatic and I dislike him when he's being a childish twat.

You think he can actlike a twat because it shows a competitive edge. Whatever that means. Sounds like some pseudoscience bollix ology to me.

But everyone's entitled to their opinion.

• Advertisement

The British Open is in Portrush next year.

Good for Shane, hopefully he’ll win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

he looks very tubby. Why doesn’t he get fit and lose that belly?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

You could trouble me for a warm glass of shut the hell up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

MOD COMMENT

No more nationality posts please per the Charter, I've gone back over a page or so and just deleted them

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

basic fitness is a key requirement for success. It’s pretty basic.

Well he's been successfully so that would contradict your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I think the point is that him being tetchy with people on the course affects Lowry himself! You might brush it off as not bothering you, and fair enough (the GAA support is irrelevant btw), but it clearly affects Lowry. He gets too easily wound up by these situations. He's clearly very talented, but as someone said above, not being able to put 4 rounds together is the difference between a top 50 player and a top 10 player. Contrast Lowry with Tiger and Scottie in terms of their demeanour. You can never tell from Tiger or Scottie from their demeanour what's happened before. It's that ability to move on to the next shot is what separates the very good players from the greats.

They don’t all have the same demeanour. Someone like Rahm would often react with anger and frustration when things go wrong on the course. Has him being tetchy at times prevented him from winning more than he did? I don’t think so, I think him joining the LIV nonsense has been the main reason for his form falling off a cliff.

Lowry is not in that level of where Woods was or where Rahm was or Scheffler is now but he has enough quality and he has the desire and hunger that he can contend and win Majors. He’s already won one.

I’m sure he’ll reflect on that 3rd round and how he reacted to it when he came under pressure and hopefully use it to his advantage for Portrush next year when he could face similar weather conditions.

And By the way the GAA support is irrelevant but one of those posters on here that’s lining up to have a go at him brought up his GAA background with a snidey comment about it.

Post edited by TheCitizen on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭Panrich

It’s tough to watch when Shane starts to lose his composure on the course. I get that he’s competitive and really wants to win but he needs to find a way to get out of his own way, when the red mist starts to descend.

Being a curmudgeon on the course is not a new phenomenon. It was said of Faldo that he had two moods. 1: Annoyed and 2: About to be annoyed. However, he was able to channel this anger effectively to his benefit.

I hope that Shane can learn a lot from this disappointment, because when he is in full swing and conditions are in his favour, he’s capable of winning any tournament.

Advertisement