Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

SF saying areas to be audited to see if it can take refugees. Well, that solves everything. There will be NO more immigration then. Everywhere is under funded, under stress, basically hanging on. SF are ducking idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭sekiro

While this is obviously true it makes no sense to import hundreds, maybe even thousands, of the same from overseas.

As you say, we've already got far too many unemployed lads who already cause far more than their fair share of problems. So why would anyone think it's a good idea to bring in even more of the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The department is not "engaging" by choice because they know these centres are deeply deeply unpopular. The strategy has thus far been to keep communities in the dark as long as possible, basically until the last possible moment so that opposition can't form.

A fine example of this strategy in operation is that the government have identified 30 potential sites across the country but have not even said which towns they are, let alone the actual buildings. There is no reason not to identify the towns if there was a real belief in real engagement.

No one wants these centres in their community mainly I suspect because they are of a scale where they will transform the community (Even the coolock site, a large area, would be 2% of the population there).

The whole crisis over this is really surprising. Irish governments are generally good at giving people what they want and usually only say "No" when there is no money. This is unique at least in my memory because the State is forcing this when it's not driven by the exchequer. It makes me wonder what the unsaid real motivation is.

I know AS frequently end up in low paying jobs, like retail, once they've done the six months, so is it driven by a need for this kind of labour which is in short supply currently? Partially maybe?

I think it's more about the rules based international system though. I think the fear is that if Ireland doesn't demonstrate a full throated adherence to the international system and say starts to opt out on migration, then it will attract attention on Ireland where the system works in its favour. Ireland has form in this - it rowed behind all the policies the EU had for the last 15 years so no one might look at taxation policy. They came for it anyway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭prunudo

Over recent years we have come to accept FF and FG are the same, now it appears over recent months we can throw SF in the pot too.

The only way to win back public support for immigration policy is to rip up the current plan and start again with proper controls and regulations, weed out the scammers. But Harris isn't a leader and would rather get photo ops eating ice cream and drinking lemonade.

People can jump up and down, and throw slurs at the nationalist candidates, but as long as main stream politicians and media keep refusing to listen to communities while continuing to believe their own bs, these right wing parties and candidates will grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

A carefully considered opinion, refreshing!

It's definitely down to an international system, every country in the E.U is having the same problems.

In Germany for instance they have gone from openly welcoming refugees with flowers and chocolates to the Govt. actively wanting to halt immigration into the E.U completely. Yet 100's of men paying smugglers €6000++ arrive daily into Berlin with the hope of a great new life…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The big difference for me between FFG and SF is that SF have actually met with the local community in coolock and listened to their concerns.

SF have then today come out with an idea of auditing locations marked for IPA centres. Nothing overly radical in any of what they are doing or saying

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2024/0723/1461313-sinn-fein-immigration/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well there is a chance that we could potentially "get rid" of a lot of the imported ones if there was a proper system in place. It has to be undoubtedly more difficult to get that system in place when resources have to be allocated to deal with protests and vandalism. The powers that be have messed up for years but they have to start from where we are now.

You see, there isn't an illuminati "bringing them in" either.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭giseva

They haven't said who they met with though. Politicians love a photo op so where's the pic of Mary Lou meeting the concerned citizens? They've already nailed their colours to the mast in support of the government on this issue.

To me it just seems to be a case of "look at us, we're not as bad as FFG" but in reality, they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

Which nationalist candidates would these be? Please tell me that the like of the national party or the likes aren't now being described as nationalist.

Post edited by jay1988 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Well now haven't you got the wrong end of the chicken/egg debate ?

There would be no need for any dealing with protests if the Minister for fck all - O'Gorman - and his ilk hadn't dismissed genuine concern for communities.

FYI he amount of money spent policing protests is a tiny tiny fraction of the amount spent on accommodating these chancers. You can dismiss the concerned citzenry and locals as "tracksuited idiots" but you're talking about villages of less than 500 people being told 1,000 people from God knows where are being bussed in at night with no consultation.

This "audit of services" might help but lets face it they will do it anyway regardless of the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yeah maybe they never met with the community and maybe made the whole thing up. I'd imagine there would be uproar in said communities with "I never met them" being chanted if that was the case though

Considering MLMD wants better engagement from the govt and came up with the logical step of auditing the viability of IPA centres it would be a fairly easy stick to beat them with if they lied about a community engagement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The level of engagement with local communities for these IPAS centres could best be described a box ticking exercise..

And you're right, I'd like to see what the Policing budget has been for the past two weeks at the site and see how that compares to the yearly budget for the entire area.

It's very easy to nominate places that shouldn't have to have any of these lads. Your difficulty is going to be identifying the places that should. The people aren't going to disappear into a puff of smoke every time a building they might have been put into is targeted and destroyed.

As for an "audit" - are you also living in the dreamworld that there are plenty of other communities that are dying to have IP applicants housed in the ready available facilities besides them?

For all the giving out about the housing shortage, if people keep stopping larger locations from being used to house them all together, you will end up with them being housed individually in a mishmash of locations. Which will inevitable prolong their processing even more. Is your ulterior motive really for them to get "own door accommodation" on arrival? Because that is the outcome if people protest enough at larger places. I'd far rather see 500 of them being put into beds in a converted warehouse while they are being processed than 500 1-bed apartments being bought for them!

It was the SF suggestion of an "audit". Not mine, dear.

Logical step indeed. You would think such a step would go without saying long before any large number of people were to be brought into an area. I'm not saying she didn't speak to anyone at all, maybe she did, maybe she met with some in agreement with, or not completely against it. Something tells me it wasn't the "far-righters" in the communities that she met with.

FYI there are community groups saying just that, that it wasn't them she met with.

You did put forward your opinion that it "might help"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's not clear who you are referring to but the main groups in Coolock have said they've not met with MLMD or SF.

The departments "engagement" consists of a glorified information evening for public representatives of said area. It's been made clear that the officials are there to communicate plans, not to solicit feedback or make changes based on public representation. Certainly not stop.

In other words "this is happening, deal with it".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

But they don't get paid f**k all. Junior doctors are getting 70, 80k with overtime.

I was responding to someone saying Irish doctors can't afford to live here, that is absolute nonsense.

Must be losing our doctors for some other reason then. And what about the nurses, doubt they're on such salaries, though I'd imagine they have the same bills as the rest of us. How do we keep them instead of a conveyor belt of Irish out, X in?

Wouldn't be a massive fan of the journal, interesting nonetheless!

https://www.thejournal.ie/junior-doctors-accommodation-6293174-Feb2024/

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭spillit67

It’s utter nonsense.

Anyone who knows anything about planning system would tell you that.

There will be precisely zero centres converted in the medium term if such a system came into being.

As someone pointed out above, this really won’t help the flows of refugees here as the government will just continue to look for housing to put them in in isolation.

This is a pretty brutal policy “pivot” by SF. It strikes me as short termism as they want to continue to play both sides of aisle. They are winning few votes back with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭spillit67

As it is being treated as an “emergency”.

Any “audit” would have to cover school places, crèches, GPs, hospitals, traffic, transport, social services etc.

Has anyone seen the various reasons why housing applications get either refused or overturned in court here?

Will the “audit” require a bat survey as well to ensure we aren’t disturbing them?!

Oh that is a complete fabrication, they do not. But you know this.

https://www.jobted.ie/salary/doctor#:~:text=A%20Doctor%20in%20Ireland%20earns,%E2%82%AC200%2C000%20gross%20per%20year.

I'd say 30k is in the vicinity of fck all if you've to rent in a large city where you are working your intern year.

I'm sure SOME small number of junior doctors during Covid may well have worked 100 plus hours a week and banked that (and been heavily taxed) but it is a tiny exception that in no way proves the rule.

Incidentally, the rate of "70k to 80k" would be the pay for a doctor with around 10 years' experience - far from "junior" level.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If its so bad for doctors why do most of them come back to work in Ireland?

My late father worked in a hospital in the UK in the 1960s - they had the nurses accommodation block, and a separate block for other staff - porters, doctors, lab staff etc - so they could work later/longer and not have to worry about travel.

Great idea - but Donnelly should be aware that the second they break ground on this, it will either be "repurposed" for the newly arrived or only for overseas doctors and lads/lasses from Galway etc working in Beaumont will still have to commute insane hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Agreed, a lot of politicians and people fail to realise that the current system is what is feeding the growth of the far right

In Demark the left wing social democrats adopted firm but fair policies when it came to Asylum seeking. They are one of the only countries in the EU that have escaped this crisis as a result and moreover are one of the few EU countries that is also not seeing even a slight increase in right wing politics

Coincidence? I think not

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭creeper1

If it's true that passports are now being checked on the tarmac of Dublin airport there is at least some progress being made.

The nonsense of appearing at immigration without a passport hopefully will be put an end to.

That leaves the whole more challenging area of controlling entry from the north. However I believe all those coming across from France via dinghy are required some kind of registration and fingerprints taken. Hopefully we can access to these records and encourage the UK to take them back. Of course we'd take back any from the UK that originally landed say at Rosslare but it would be a much smaller number.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭creeper1

What a headache.

Can't have them in big centres like in Coolock.

Can't have them in hotels and B&Bs hurting tourism.

Can't have them along the canal or in mount street.

Can't have them in social housing jumping the queue of those waiting for years.

I can see why Leo done a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I’m not sure how any so called Irish patriot can call themselves a patriot when they associate with that tramp above. Earlier this year he was outside the trial of a British soldier who murdered an Irish civilian supporting the British soldier. He thinks all British soldiers who murdered unarmed civilians in cold blood on this island are victimised and should get off Scott free. Do they not care?

You’re such a patriot that you idolise a man who thinks British soldiers can murder civilians on this island and get away with it? These anti immigration protests have been taken over by dumb tramps that associate with British loyalists who think they can murder you and face zero consequences. Make it make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

English nationalism is always going to rub Irish people up the wrong way , very quickly they will praise the empire and how good it was ……. i dont need to finish the sentence

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

A vacant industrial site in Dublin city like the one in Coolock is literally the perfect place for a refugee centre.

It's not in a housing area since it's industrially zoned, it's well connected close to the city centre and on a major road, it doesn't distort the identity of the area given it's a few hundred people in a very densely populated place and it isn't denying locals of services by its presence since the site was vacant already. It ticks every box.

Advertisement