Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of SF?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Michael Collins and all those other people from over 100 years ago are not in politics now, and are many generations ago. Different times. Just as the American wild west was different times.

Some of the people who were heavily involved a certain party during the troubles, and who had no trouble or qualms with death threats and worse to Thatcher, Tebbit, Neave, Fox, Bradford, Edgar Graham etc are still heavily involved in the same party now. And to this day say there was "no alternative." That is why I agree with :

That is all not just within living memory but within the same careers of many people.

I said I am of the opinion all threats now or in the past should be condemned.

Anyway I am leaving it there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The conflict/war is over for a quarter of a century.

Nobody in the major parties of this state distanced themselves or condemned the violence it took to establish and still don't.

No different to present members of SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭pureza

Ah here now,there are better ways to allow for the tacit acceptance amongst some (but far from all) nationalists of the provisional IRA campaign of the 70s 80s and 90's and why it happened up north than comparing it with present day parties adoration of the 1916 rising

The latter was over a 100 years ago,no victims of it are alive.Women had no vote,there was no tv or radio beaming it into homes

The heroes involved managed to win independence albeit blighted by a still unresolved gerrymandered partition

Regardless,it's all about the Belfast leadership getting that UI referendum now to set the course for resolving the problem

It's unfortunate the imposter tri colour usurper anti immigrant gurriers have managed to canibalise the protest vote away from Sinn Féin but this will come back,the party review will have strategised a way to retrieve it by now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I skimmed over Mary Lou's letter this evening and thought it was a bit tone deaf. What did ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They are about 18 months behind what their typical voter is thinking, whoever is doing their PR or advising them of policy should get the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It came across as "we're listening even though the government isn't"...

But

"We want to provide you the investment and services you need and help you with integration in your community".

Completely ignoring the fact that Coolock clearly wants natural immigration not huge IPA/Asylum complexs especially involving all men.

Don't want to get into that but at this rate I can see SF making slight gains at the next GE especially if they tone back the immigration rhetoric. But as you all know they've missed a golden opportunity to dominate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Augme

There's little to no wide demand for the type of nonsense the protesters at Coolock are demanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

She really is some piece of work when you think about it.

Are they even local many of them ?

The longer this goes on though,the more SF's fence sitting on immigration,trying to be all things to all men will hurt them,will they ever learn?

Are you expecting SF to ally themselves to those people?
    What do you mean by 'fence sitting' otherwise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

What letter? she off trying to get some votes back with some nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The main trouble makers are not from Coolock, they are the same people going from one of these areas to another, always starting problem. As I said on other threads they are well known so just cut off their socail welfare. Taking photos of Garda and then publishing on social medai, asking people to attack them and their family

That is what you are dealing with. Absolute scumbags

The levels of 'incompetence' in the management of these protests is off the scale and demand inquiry. From resourcing to actual on the ground operations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yet MLMD is dog-whistling to them. Strange.

Quite clear now that Sinn Fein are pivoting to the far-right on immigration. Calling for more "consultation" which means a veto, looking for "supports" to local communities as pre-conditions, that take time to be provided etc., are all the things that the far-right have been saying.

This is Barry Ward FG levels of authoritarianism IMO.
    Perish the thought that you enable communities like this in any way.

Ignore concerns, and imposing your will on communities you already deprive of resources and the tools to help themselves are the hallmarks of 'far rightism'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

for feck sake, sf arent moving to the far right! since theres now a significant anti-immigration movement in place, this is forcing our politics this way, most if not all parties will be implementing some sort of stricter immigration polices, sf will remain more center left aligned in general….

…but dont worry, they aint going into government anytime soon, we will remain with a ffg lead government, possible indefinitely……

for feck sake, sf arent moving to the far right!

The claim has become a dog whistle in itself. Now we are getting 'dialogue with communities' characterised as a 'far right' demand when the far right in the history of far rightism have never cared what anyone else but themselves think. We were told to expect it ahead of the LE's and Euro elections, and it hasn't happened. You can sense the disappointment.

Regarding not caring about what anyone else thinks,its not as simple as that

If you get elected in suffecient numbers,what you think IS actually alligned fairly well to the voters who voted you in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.newstalk.com/news/mary-lou-mcdonald-condemning-coolock-protests-is-not-going-to-sort-this-1747850

Sitting on a fence isn't pleasant, it can be sore, yet MLMD appears to be an expert.

"Condemning the protests in Coolock is “not going to sort out” continued unrest in the community, according to Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald. "

What are we supposed to do, cheer them on?

"This is not about pandering to anything – pandering to racism, pandering to hate,” she said."

It actually is just that, pandering and dog-whistling to the far-right.

Donnchadd o' Laoghaire was terrible on morning Ireland unfortunately when interviewed on SF's 'new' immigration policy

He was basically brought round to wooly padded answers suggesting no change at all ?

No answer to where to put 100's of migrants if local communities say no

Governments dont have the privilege of having no answer

The 6 county border can't be ring fenced but at least with Starmer in power,theres some chance of a return to the agreement where boat people can be returned to France

That would ease our problems greatly

• Advertisement

Didn't hear him on MI but the policy of doing a resources check before anything else makes eminent sense to me.
    I suspect the government and it's supporters won't like any scrutiny of just where they are putting the vast majority of these centres.

Yeah,but the issue (and not to their liking) is they have to go somewhere and for a government atm,thats not a vote winner

Their best option is to crack on with building more tented facilities off the beaten track and process migrants on site

It's not far right,it's just populism

Every party is populist to varying degree's,how else do you gather votes

I said it before the disappointment that there has been no swing to the far right is palpable.
    In almost every interview with ordinary decent residents of these communities there has been criticism of the lack of communication and consultation.
    Across government opposition parties it is also one of the major criticism's.
    The far right are not interested in consultation, they have already gone beyond that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If you want to build or renovate a house, or any structure, you have to apply to the council for planning permission. The council does a resources check and submissions of interest are sent in by the public and a decision is then made by a council whether permission be granted or not based on this.

At least that's how it's supposed to work

The SF policy isn't exactly a radical suggestion. In fact there are many voters who incorrectly assumed it was happening already

The issue I see with planning etc,is all these people are piling in and planning process's take time

Meantime,people have to go somewhere

All parties would be better off bringing in a timed guilitine planning ammendment somewhere for these tented villages

We've no business building anything permanent for asylum seekers

If their application is sucessful,let them join everybody else and earn the money to buy or rent their own house

Thats what I'd be pushing for if I were SF giving everyone a hall pass on the issue and allowing the GE political discourse to return to normal somewhat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In what era has the GE discourse been normal?

Some issue or other is always critical. Housing, Health, Emigration, Taxation, Unemployment, Social Welfare, Agriculture, Europe, Austerity.

Thats the story of my lifetime of general elections.

All of those are normal

The immigration question is not

We are more used to emigration being an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Augme

Post edited by Augme on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Never saw a political party respond to comments. A party in chaos I’m hearing. Their social media strategy is no longer working for them. The thugs they courted on Facebook during the water charges protest are now the thugs attacking them online. Must be sickening for them to no longer be feared.

Advertisement