Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

She did insinuate that RDS'S wife was faking cancer previously. Some of the MAGA people are idiots for money but she is clearly a rotten individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Derkaiser93

Not sure how much running mates actually influence election results...not feeling JD Vance though. I expected him to be a Goebbels style mouthpiece for Trump. He has zero charisma, personality or likeability , even for a far right winger. Not sure he does much for Trumps campaign thankfully.

As for Harris now, my picks would be Josh Shapiro or Kelly. White men, battleground states. One a former astronaut and someone that blue collar working men would like. And then Shapiro I think is a good speaker and he's Jewish. That could backfire maybe but I think being someone of faith and especially jewish, middle America and Christians will love him . If either of them could turn PY or AZ blue it would be big.

But then again as I said its debatable just how important and influential a running mate is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

Usually the VP pick is not much of a deal but I really do feel for Harris this time its crucial. She needs to pick someone who adds to the ticket and who also is from a battleground state and thus gives the Democrats a good chance to win that battle ground state. Shapiro for instance is also only 51, Mark Kelly is 60 and Gretchen Whitmer in Michigan is 52 so any of them as a pick given their ages as well as Harris's age would also allow them to really contrast the age issue, lack of mental fitness and acuity for office and turn all that right back onto the Republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The point was made the other week, Rubio been picked would have put Arizona in Trump's pocket but yeah Kelly at the very least means at the very least it should lean D.

Vance on the other hand has had one election where he underperformed in a very red state.

Just for balance as this can get a little one sided, I keep seeing people state that the Republicans are totally unprepared for Harris which is just wish thinking personified.

The whole bloody world has been talking about it for the last few months especially since the debate so yeah chances are it would have reached Trump HQ. 😅

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2024/07/22/kamala-harris-campaign-biden-drop-out/trump-kamala-harris-biden-00170471

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They mightn't be ignorant of the switch but aren't the GOP really struggling with donors? They may not have had the cash to run a parallel campaign ready to deploy when Biden stepped down - amounting to the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,223 ✭✭✭squonk

On balance I’d go with Kelly over Shapiro. I’m assuming as Shapiro is Jewish his pro Israel stance is kind of locked in. Given the flak Biden has already taken for support of Israel, it’s kind of like doubling down on that support if Shapiro is the pick. Not that it means a bit and, even with Kelly, they’ll still be Israel’s big brother but it sends a message which mightn’t be helpful in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,577 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They still have significant doners. They got a flush of money the last two months, there problem is the war chest Biden accumulated earlier in the year. Democratic donations had started to dry up after the debate and I would say Trump and the republician PACTs raised more over the last 3 weeks than the Democrats did.

With Biden out of the race and Trump facing a younger black female opponent there is still opportunity for Trump. In Chinese opportunity and danger are the same word. The problem for Trumpmis how dose he attack her with out being misogynistic or racist.

There is danger for Harris and the Democrats as well. She has not gone through a primary campaign which would have indicated any weaknesses she had. However tgat is an advantage as well. Obama is slow coming out to endorse her. It definitely gives the feeling that his camp wanted to run Michelle Obama as his proxy. However that bus is gone. He will probably endorse her in the next 48 hours.

Can Harris and the Democrats develop a head of steam over the next months as Harris coronation as the DP's takes place. However will some like Obama maybe perfer her to lose the election as if she wins she could probably serve 8 years and her VP would be the next nominee after her.

I wonder did Joe deliberately holdout the last 3-4 weeks to close the door in Michelle Obama. Forcing the part to unite behind Harris in there bid to get him to drop out. If he exited 2-3 weeks ago there might have been an opportunity for MB or another canditate to launch a bid.

Biden will have plenty of dirt on Trump. Harris has no children for the Trump camp to attack. So fir Trump and the RP it's all about trying to play the misogynistic racist card without appearing to play it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think you might be reading too much into Barack Obama not endorsing her… he'll endorse her when she's clearly the candidate. It was the same in 2020, he didn't want to be seen to be picking sides.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Harris raised $81m yesterday. I think she’ll be fine.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With all due respect, I took what you said on-board up to the point where yet again, Michelle Obama got trotted out as some kind of dark horse in the race. Frankly, you're gonna have to stump up some actual reported "truth" here, especially if we're now discussing Barrack (and "his camp") were somehow grooming her for candidacy; how many more times must the woman vocally express her disinterest in politics? To be so frank about her husband's career nearly destroying their marriage?

I like Michelle too, and she's a fairly inspiring and well-spoken public figure … but come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭blackwhite

By waiting until after the initial buzz has died down, Obama then announcing his endorsement gives her a renewed boost in the media cycle, another boost for fundraising etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If Pritzker is the VP nominee for Harris, Obama's strength in Illinois will be a huge asset - it's a big-time state, and it's a Midwestern state. None of the other names bandied about as VP nominee are from the Midwest. Kelly gets an edge because his is a 'swing state', and his wife has a lot of cachet with the gun control people, but I'd think Pritzker would be better on the stump, too, growing up in Illinois politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Illinois has been Democrat for a long time - even Hillary won there with a comfortable 55%.

If the Democrat campaign ever feels the need to shore it up, with a VP pick, or having Obama campaign there, or other resources, then they are in a whole heap of trouble elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

What if Obama is the running mate? Could that be the dynamite card being kept in the pocket for now?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Aside from the fact that the suggestion is utter nonsense .

He physically can't be , the VP has to be in a position to take the office of POTUS in the event of the something happening to the President.

As Obama has completed 2 full terms he is no longer eligible to hold the office of President so he is excluded under law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yeah given that this election will likely come down to fine margins I think picking a Jewish VP has more potential downside than upside for her with Gaza still likely to be a live issue. She's clearly not an antisemite given that her husband is Jewish, so it's not like not picking Shapiro would lose her any Jewish voters.

It'll almost certainly be a white man in order to balance the ticket and the latest odds reflect that:

(Betfair so decimal odds):

1. Mark Kelly 2.54
    2. Josh Shapiro 3.85
    3. Roy Cooper 7.2
    4. Andy Beshear 9.4
    5. Pete Buttigieg 15

Well that's up for debate. The text reads

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice

Now if you are running for VP, you are not running as President but you would be running for a position that you could potentially take over as president.

Also worthy of mention is the very long succession line of the President, the VP is obviously first in line but then you have the speaker of the house and the senates president pro tempore (longest serving senator from the majority party) followed by the various secretaries.

So then if you apply the same logic Obama can't run for senate or as speaker of the house, but can run as a congressman and be appointed as an un-elected secretary

Regardless of what you think on the above, what about Michelle Obama?

Forget Trump Derangement Syndrome, I swear there's a miasma causing Obama Derangement Syndrome around these parts, like either of them are these saviors of America waiting for their cue, nevermind paying attention to their words and actions since 2016.

I don't think that anyone is making the argument that political betting markets are "unbeatable oracles of certainty".

I do think that they offer an insight into what the consensus is at any given time and how that shifts given different events.

I particularly like Betfair Exchange because those prices reflect the market forces (they're not set by someone in the bookmakers office) and so nonsense novelty bets designed to ensnare unsavvy punters are not as big a feature.

• Advertisement

The 12th amendment would explicitly bar Barack Obama from becoming VP:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The Constitutional position is debated, and would likely end up before the Supreme Court if a former two-term President ever tried to stand for election as VP.

Full paper presenting the argument to why it is possible is linked below - interesting theoretical legal point, but one that's highly unlikely to be ever actually tested.

https://digitalcommons.law.uga.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2011&context=fac_artchop

In summary the 22nd Amendment bars someone from being elected to the role of President having previously served two terms, but doesn't make any mention of someone being elevated to the role of President outside of an election.

The 12th Amendment states that "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States".

The legal argument then comes down to whether the 22nd Amendment simply bars a former 2-term President from being elected another time to the office of President, or if it makes them ineligible to hold the office again completely.

Either way - like you said, the suggestion is utter nonsense and isn't going to happen now or likely ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭pureza

Interestingly,its also forbidden to have a vice president from the same state as a President

That would rule out the California governor as a VP pick.

Beta O'Rourke would be my pick but I dont think he holds an office still ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I don't think anyone delivers Texas to the Democrats. Not even Beto, who doesn't currently hold political office.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hmmm. This seemed dubious but is actually somewhat true albeit different to the way you said it. She could pick a Californian VP candidate and they could win on that ticket. But they would have to win without California's electoral college votes.

https://www.history.com/news/can-the-president-and-vice-president-be-from-the-same-state

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭pureza

I wasn't aware of the specefics like that

But dumping California's college votes would be suicide for the Democrats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Interestingly,its also forbidden to have a vice president from the same state as a President

Not exactly, and even if it was, it's not a practical bar.

The actual law is that the electors (of the electoral college) can't vote for two people from the same state as themselves - meaning that if it was a Harris/[Californian] ticket, the Californian electors could still vote for Harris, but then couldn't vote for the VP candidate. They could abstain from the VP vote - if the Harris ticket margin of victory was big enough, it wouldn't matter, but theoretically, you could end up with Harris as president and Vance as VP.

However, it would never realistically happen. First of all, specifically in this election, they're not going to select another Californian for the ticket: California is a lock even without Harris as the nomination. But even if it did make electoral sense for a Californian to be selected, they would have them change their residency to a different state. This scenario has already happened - in 2000, George W Bush and Dick Cheney were both residents of Texas, but before the election, Cheney changed his residency to Wyoming.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What is with this obsession with Michelle Obama??

She will not be putting herself forward for public office , not now , not ever.

• Advertisement

Haven't seen this being reported elsewhere but probably not surprising if true:

The Democrats should call him a chicken at every available opportunity.

Presumably if he ducks Harris then there will be no VP debate either.

Advertisement