Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doping megathread - I can't even think of a witty tagline

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Does ticker have him saying this on record? Or is it third hand information that someone said he said because that helps sell the clicks.

I see it's in a tweet up above from someone else

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Like everything though, it makes assumptions, and like all science, you have to accept what is in front of you until the evidence points you elsewhere. The take home message though is for the majority of people, it is safe to say, holding X W/kg over Y minutes is indicative (not conclusive) of doping.

What the article doesn't say is that it is impossible (it most certainly isn't), that there are not a subset of humans who genetically can't do this. Also, just to be clear, the 6.2 number they use is exactly what I said earlier, a back of the envelope number from an academic, who even caveated it with, "could be an indication". Nothing published, nothing tested. I say this as a former frustrated sports scientist, I am all for the pursuit of the facts but not the hanging of an innocent person. Sports Science is a pain in the hole (and I know there are a few on here), getting numbers to make publishable data is beyond frustrating.

In a year from now, or 10 years from now, we may learn of a wonder drug with lasting benefits that the drug itself dissipates (plenty of cancer drugs out there ripe for the pro athlete, all you need is a way to make it unstable and flush out of the system quickly), use lab durans rather than plastic bags for long term blood storage to avoid micro plastic detection, look for natural anti coagulants that will be broken down quickly and so on.

I do wonder out of interest, what the likes of Pantani, Shay etc, would have achieved with what we have now, the aero dynamics, the tactics, the lead outs, the protection. For all we know though, all these things cold have benefited others more, it is an interesting query if nothing else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It has not been “long accepted” that the limit is 6.4w/kg. It’s a made up number with no science behind it. It may be an indicator, but it may not.

I’ll ask again: If people think he’s doping, what is he taking? It’s not EPO or blood doping.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

I would agree. Hardly EPO and not blood doping. Who knows 🤷‍♂️

Might be nothing, might be something. Loads on social media comparing the same geographic location with different bikes, different equipment, different build up, actual nutrition strategies, smoother roads, different attack strategies (resting at the start rather than going at it for the entire duration). Things as simple as spinning up and ice vests. Ice vests actually have data on them. They don't make you better or faster but they do help you stay as close to your optimal for longer. Even feeding strategies are far superior now to what they were 20 years ago, never mind comparing these races to 30 years ago or longer.

I'm not saying no one is doing anything wrong but what I am saying is that it is not impossible. It is unlikely, but not impossible. They may also be doing things that will be illegal at some point but at this point in time are on a thin line. You are comparing the likes of Sean Kelly who would go full gas on a spin round his home place for a few hours, come home, have a fry, then go off and do another few hours with teams that have nutritionists, plans, timetable, specific athletes targeted with different meals.

Then there is the case of tactics changing so much over the last 50 years, there was a time when riders might just hang about all day as part of an agreement, or they all wanted a rest.

Long story short, doping or not, the comparison to riders of the past is a nonsense way to start, it is interesting but nothing else. Nothing stays secret forever so I do believe people need to keep asking the uncomfortable questions but I also don't like the insinuation that there is no other choice but doping. It is a good explanation but there are others.

Interestingly, if Pog and Jonas, were not there, Remcos performance would be suspicious, and so on. The truth is, compared to the average club cyclist, even the average A1 rider, every riders performance on the tour is unusual to say the least.

• Advertisement

Well, just to be clear, he stole my words :

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I’d say Armstrong’s ego is massively bruised, regardless of whether Pog is juiced up to the gills or not, he’s destroyed Armstrong’s times and is being spoken about as being one of the greatest of all time. That’ll have Armstrong absolutely fuming. I’d say even the slight possibility of Pog being clean and still smashing him, has him foaming at the mouth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Armstrong is the last person I’d listen to. He’s a gimp.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Three biggest takeaways for me between Pantani's ascent and now are:

1. Gearing. Huge difference between having to grind your ways up steep climbs on 44-23 lowest gear (somebody somewhere in this forum dug this out) and spinning your way up them in much lower gears. And its not just the climbs in question, the grinding on previous steep climbs will wear the legs down.
    2. Altitude training
    3. Training methodology. The impression I always got from ex pros books is that while they understood the benefits of base training well there was very little methodology. Always struck me that they were hugely talented guys who mainly spent hours cycling their bikes (for the base) and would then take in some hills to mix in intensity. And then depend on races to get race fitness. This is a world apart from structured training with power meters and we are now at a point where the majority of younger pros would have done structured training with PMs and coaches from the beginning of their teenage years. In my view, this makes a massive difference and cannot be ignored.

• Advertisement

And I'd be over the moon even if Pog was doping because Pog aside, Lance was a c*nt and any excuse to stick the boot in a bit further is always welcome

A neighbour of mine once had Sean Kelly and his entire team arrive on his door outside of Rosslare port. The team car had drove off to Carrig and the team got multiple punctures just outside of Rosslare. They pulled in and when asked about a repair, my friend was known as the local to get things done. As thanks, Sean invited him over to his house at the weekend for a ride and breakfast. He repaired a few punctures, and the next Sunday he went over to Seans house with a friend. When they arrived, Sean was not there but his wife cooked them breakfast. Sean arrived back, ate breakfast and said, lets go. Now my friend was a good racer, placed in the Shay Elliott in a yar the weather was so bad most abandoned, and won many races around Wexford. By todays standards would have been a strong A1. Sean had already done a morning warm up of over 100km at decent pace, and this was his cool down ride. They nearly died trying to hold his wheel for the spin.

You have hit most of it on the head, the gears, the theory, the training, it is a different world.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

Vingegaards second place was a huge achievement given the injuries he suffered on April 4th.

I think he improved a lot over the course of the Tour.

It was 13 weeks from the crash to the start of the tour. With broken ribs could he have been back training after 6 weeks giving him only 7 weeks to prepare for the tour?

Vingegaard’s performance given the above is more “spectacular” than Pogacar’s? Anyone disagree?

Post edited by Raymzor on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If Vingegaard looked fresh as a daisy after each stage, despite losing, I'd agree.

Instead he looked wiped (and human) after each stage.

Today was the first day I actually saw Pogacar break a sweat. Every other day it was a walk in the park for him.

I don't think training-wise Pogacar does anything that different to the other major teams, eg Ineos, in terms of altitude training. And Carapaz for example grew up at altitude.

Maybe Pogacar is clean, but his performance was without doubt superhuman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

A few years ago i got smashed up off the bike. I had punctured lung, broken ribs, hairline fracture of the elbow and separated AC joint. Spent nearly a week in hospital and 2 months out of work. The lung and ribs healed very quickly, I was back doing light spins on the turbo after 3 weeks. The shoulder was the worst, kept me off the road for nearly 2 months. That happened in May, I was setting PRs on segments in the mountains by September. If a slightly overweight, middle aged asthmatic can do it, the best in the world can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Junior

https://escapecollective.com/opinion-we-cant-yet-explain-tadej-pogacars-sudden-leap/

This is a bit light on substance, for example leaning on the previous discussion here about the 6.4W/Kg, it doesn't illustrate that or where it came from or how it was achieved. It doesn't delve into this 120g of Carbs per hour thing as well. I know some journalists are wary of being parrots for bunkum science as well, so maybe there's an element of that in it.

It also leaves out the elephant in the room of the estimation of Pog climbing at 7W/Kg for 30 plus minutes..

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Not cycling specific, but this is an interesting video with Victor Conte describing his doping operation in the U.S

Leaving aside the question of doping, everyone is interested in how Pogacar improved so much. He always had the explosive kick and was able to launch himself quickly out of the pack. But his ability to sustain it over long distances in the mountains in successive days and weeks is something else.

People are saying he's done things differently this year, and the different preparation has helped, such as doing the Giro.

However, this makes is sound like all the other GC teams are amateurish in their approach and well behind. I don't think that's true. All the major GC teams put a major effort into bike technology, training, nutrition and general preparation, including altitude training. If they thought doing the Giro would help prepare better for the Tour, then you'd see this more frequently. At best Pogacar's changes in preparation should deliver marginal gains, as they are marginally better than what others have done.

One thing in Pogacar's favour however, is that outside Vingegaard, Evenepoel and very occassionally Roglic, there's a real lack of genuine contendors who can put it up to Pogacar. Its a bit like men's tennis, when the big three could thrive in a relatively weak era among the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Its a bit like men's tennis, when the big three could thrive in a relatively weak era among the rest.

was it a weak era or were they just incredibly good? It's hard to tell. Murray in another era could've won 8 slams putting him alongside the likes of Becker and Agassi. Even if he'd only coincided with 2 of the big 3 he'd have won a few more.

Has there ever been an era where the Tour could be won by (say) any of of 10 riders - in the time I've been following it there's always been one or two strong favourites at the start and if they don't win it's because of injury or because some young new rider has come through unexpectedly. The Giro and Vuelta are less predictable because the really top riders have often skipped them to concentrate on the Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I'm not necessarily suggesting that a national team has a doping regime in the way you're describing it - bringing in a group of players from different clubs and getting them on board with a doping system at national level. If the clubs themselves - or even just the very top players - are tolerant of playing fast and loose with performance enhancers year round, the national team will benefit from that. In 2008 there were only 5 players in the squad not playing in La Liga. In 2010 it was 3. In 2012 it was 4. Half of the squad were made up of players from just 2 clubs.

In terms of what help - who knows. I didn't know what Ketones were when they became news a couple of years ago. This new malarkey that people are referencing with Pog - no idea what that is either. I've no idea what's out there these days. But what I do know is that if you take a puff of an inhaler in cycling you're hammered, your team is ridiculed and the entire sport goes under the microscope. Whereas in contact sports it seem to be just accepted that pain killers are standard treatment for injuries.

Even down to diet - cyclists (and track athletes to a lesser degree) seem obsessed with knowing what's in their food - the fact that cheat meals, dream foods after Tours etc are spoken about - is in contrast with footballers who never publicly mention these kind of things. That's indicative of a culture where the fear of eating contaminated food is non existent… leading you to wonder just how scrupulous the testing is at all. In a world where there's so much at stake, and so many options to enhance performance through 'supplements', along with a seemingly non-existent testing regime… why is it that cyclists are naïve for trusting Pog's performance but there's no questions asked about the levels of performance of top footballers?

Spain played a very intense pressing game at their peak - as soon as they lost possession they would swarm opponents to get it back. Their style may look easy, but its the non-stop running and movement off the ball, often not picked up by cameras, which gradually wears teams down. The sheer relentlessness of it all.

I completely agree with you in terms of people believing what they want to and perceived biases etc. I think cycling suffers a lot for that, especially because it's not really aligned on national lines. Athletics had a very similar issue with doping in the same eras as cycling - but because it's organised along national lines people seem much more willing to forget and overlook. I've no proof of anything, the only difference is that I view all sports through the same prism and see cycling's more regular reports of doping fails as evidence of a more vigorous approach to catching the dopers rather than evidence of a more prevalent doping culture these days.

Applying the "it would be so difficult to do it surely it's not being done" logic to cycling, you'd have to ask yourself why top cyclists would dope for relatively minimal financial reward (compare pro cycling to other pro sports in terms of what the average pro earns) in what must be the strictest anti-doping system in world sport and where every unusual performance is scrutinised to death by even your average fan on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They're still developing the altitude knowledge and protocols. Working up to higher and higher altitudes throughout a block. I don't think the skineos "altitude native" stuff ever went further than explaining away/ giving enough doubt on suspicious blood values. They really are using so much more knowledge now that was never developed due to EPO.

I know why people love Pog so much, but I have to say Gianetti being so prominent in the background has always tempered that for me. Yes Visma was Rabobank, Lefevere still leading what was mapei, but I just really struggle with UAE so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I think a fully fit Vingo would have run it far closer than 6 minutes at the end so if there is a "something" it's reasonable to assume that it is available to Visma and possibly QuickStep too, as the top 3 were ten minutes clear of everyone else.

But the "something" must be on very limited circulation within the teams because it would have made sense to democratise that within a team to keep more riders in play for the GC.

What I find most surprising is that INEOS haven't got this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ah, I wasn't accusing myself of being logical! Just my own bias. But everyone has that (other years threads about WvA pulling so long in the mountains, but less about Pollit this year as Pog is more liked!).

Part of it is money for the weeks on end at altitude? Visma are doing long blocks, splitting locations as they move higher and higher, and possibly (not confirmed) using altitude tents to get even "higher".

Ineos are no longer the dominant force financially, in fact their budget has been going down in absolute as well as relative terms. Single blocks on Teide at the same hotel as 10 years ago isn't cutting it any more.

Post edited by Macy0161 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I like Bardet but its just more of "I coulda been a contender / the French can't win cos of cheatin' forriners" that the riders been spouting for decades now, particularly when they are in the departure lounge. I think Pinot was at the same thing last year.

(And a 40W power increase would increase speeds by ~5% not 10%, Romain)

I don't think so, I just think it's a statement of I'm happy to be getting the f*ck out of here.

Just came across this story and it might be relevant. The caveat is there is no evidence teams are going all in with this, just using it for analysis purposes.

https://escapecollective.com/exclusive-tour-riders-are-inhaling-carbon-monoxide-in-super-altitude-recipe/

There's also the case of financial doping that's rarely mentioned, where teams like UAE can "buy up" other GC contenders and make domestiques out of them - not new of course, as SKY were doing it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭pairofpears

Interesting article here on Cofidis. Martin rode the TDF without a powermeter as the bike was 1kg overweight as it stood.

When you get heavy equipment and the team isnt focused on anything but keeping the sponsors happy Like Movistar when Dowsett was there its hard to be competitive.

https://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20240723_92891310

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I genuinely don't think he's ever relied on his team as.much as he this year. Attacks came earlier and from further out. People not sent up the road like they were on stage 14. The out Vismad Visma this year

Advertisement