Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This is the Hilary Clinton 'deplorables' trope that cost her the election.

Even 8 years on, it's clear people have not learned their lesson. Maybe they are the 'stupid' ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,288 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If these voters care about immigration… then what's their reaction to Trump ordering his MAGA stooges in Congress to block the bipartisan bill to tighten the border.

If they don't know about that, they are ignorant, and it reflects it certain dumbness too.

If they do, and still think the Republicans care about immigration the way the voter does - then yes, they are stupid.

We can repeat the above on education, economy, inflation, crime etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Unless Harris tries to rape someone I'd say the moral high ground is safe enough. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 30,288 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What's your trope? Pretending a sizeable % of the electorate they aren't stupid or bigoted?

I'm discussing it on social media, that doesn't mean I think a candidate should approach it the same way.

But yes, there are 'deplorables' out there, you're not going to win them over.

You need to try to reach the ones that can be swayed.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

California != USA

You know that, I know that.

How many votes did she win for her 2020 Primary @Overheal ?

I can count them on one hand, even if I didn't have any fingers.

• Advertisement

Easy. Biden got Covid and at that stage Biden took the decision that he felt it was better for the country to hand the baton onto another candidate. Harris was and is happy to continue to support Biden but respects his decision, for the sake of both the country and his health, to step aside.

Lets go through this slowly.

Why exactly did Biden step down, and no it was not because of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The bout of Covid is irrelevant.

I had it from somebody in the know that if Trump hadn't been wounded on the night of the 13th, Biden was planning to announce his withdrawal on Sunday 14th, after Mass in Delaware with his family.

By then he had already been in discussion with Pelosi, Obama, Clinton, Jeffries, Tom Perez, Schumer and everybody else with influence in the Party.

Sure, his senior staff wanted him to stay in the race, and thats the message Jeff Zients and the most senior special advisors wanted to go out, because they would, wouldn't they? Harris has her own people, and as of January, if not as of Sunday last, the Biden staffers just became pretty irrelevant.

If these voters care about immigration… then what's their reaction to Trump ordering his MAGA stooges in Congress to block the bipartisan bill to tighten the border.

Because it will harm Biden, and Harris in the presidential campaign. Are you naive? The Democrats do the same ****, ya know. The system is fucked, I agree, but they all do it.

If they don't know about that, they are ignorant, and it reflects it certain dumbness too.

It must be great to be you, all-knowing and knowledgeable. You just are an overall better person.

If they do, and still think the Republicans care about immigration the way the voter does - then yes, they are stupid.

We can repeat the above on education, economy, inflation, crime etc

Not only are you a better person, but should go over to the Rust Belt with that line and moral superiority and point the finger personally until all the working-class folks get in line.

Sure, you can start in Coollock. Tell them all they are idiots and tell them to go home. Think of it as a dryrun.

Environments shape perception and reality. We think we know about middle America, but we dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,085 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Harris can win, with a good VP pick, someone young, and energetic, it's about time American politics had young leaders who are living today, not 60 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

To pay his debts he might have to sell the Doonbeg Golf Club.

Someone could buy it and rename it the Kamala Harris Golf Club yet!

• Advertisement

Well, calling them stupid and ignorant won't sway people, in fact, it will back people into a corner.

Still relevant after 8 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

my preference for her vice presidential pick would still be Mark Kelly. However, I don’t think the Democrats will nor should they announce who the vice president will be until the convention - let the names float around for a few weeks, let polling happen. Let Trump world spin its heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,723 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Feck the debts, better to just pack up all the money and move from the US to live out remaining days surrounded by adoring fans in Clare.

Everyone knows where the inspiration for the latest McCarthy cup win came from. Shane O'Donnell, he passed by the golf course. Everyone knows that he was inspired by thoughts of "If that genius can do it then so can I. He could have been a baseball legend if not for the bone spurs. I can surely win another All-Ireland".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The thing is though, Hillary Clinton wasn't popular and won the popular vote by 5m people. Biden wasn't even popular in 2020 and he won by 8m people and also the Electoral College.

Biden wasn't popular in 2020 among Democrats, but the majority of Dems supported him because ultimately he was the best choice to beat Trump. He was competent, experienced and deemed to be a safe pair of hands to try get things back on track after Trump. But he was never that 'popular', in fact the word used to describe him most in 2020 was probably milquetoast.

Harris doesn't have any real issues in that regard. She doesn't exactly set the world on fire with how exciting she is, but unlike Hillary she's not 'unpopular', and unlike Biden she's not 'fine I guess'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

the volume and value of donations in the past 48 hours, coupled with Harris's popularity in certain areas would contradict your superficial argument.

Also, the American election is not a popularity contest. I'm surprised you'd even suggest that. Hilary Clinton won the popular vote in 2020 but didn't win the election.

I'd hardly call Larry Donnelly the beacon of American signposting, he's one voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ABC Fake News is such a joke, among the absolute WORST in the business. They try to make Crooked Joe into a brave warrior because he didn’t have the “guts” to fight it out — He quit! They then tried to make “Sleepy” look like a great President – he was the WORST, and Lyin’ Kamala into a competent person, which she is not. ABC, the home of George Slopadopolus, is not worthy of holding a Debate, of which I hope there will be many!

LOL.

Hold me back or she'll kill me.

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭thatsdaft

So it took him two days to finally realise Biden is not running

Please someone stop this elder abuse, Trump has clearly mentally declined if it takes him this long to comprehend his changed circumstances, and he still hasn’t come up with a name for Kamala

And this is a geriatric the republicans want to trust with nuclear briefcase

• Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

100% the way to go. They've snatched the narrative from the MAGAts, with their own convention yet to come, its time to command the airwaves and let Trump be drawn into every sexist trope he can't stop himself from saying.

Right now, I would say Josh Shapiro, Pete Buttigieg and Mark Kelly are the probable short list.

Mayor Pete is the perfect foil for Vance, Josh Shapiro is a liberal Jew in charge of a vital swing State on the rust belt, but he is also on the right of the Democratic Party (yes they have one), as he is pro Capital Punishment for "heinous" crimes and went against the extremity of some federal Covid measures.

Mark Kelly is a genuine all American hero. 25 Years an Officer in the US Navy, becoming a Captain, a naval bomber pilot during Desert Storm and a Space Shuttle pilot with 2 months of Space travel under his belt. He was also an instructor at the highest level. He is basically Maverick without the boyish good looks.

And he delivered a 30 year long Republican seat.

Harris is really spoiled for choice, but the next few weeks need to be about her. She needs to get out in front and campaign like the 59 year old kid she is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

let people get to know the potential candidates flaws also 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Thats it exactly. Kamala Harris may not be popular per se, but she is not as unpopular as Hilary was. I have to say it, having your own private email server does demonstrate a certain arrogance which rubbed many people up the wrong way. She still won the popular vote by 5M.

Harris is not under FBI investigation. She hasn't done anything to warrant such an investigation. When I see her on TV I find her quite likeable to be honest, and I do think she would be a safe pair of hands as you put it.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/lara-trump-fumes-at-kamala-harris-campaigning-on-trump-being-a-convicted-felon/

I'm not even going to click into it. I'm imagining something like "No-one gets treated as unfairly as my father in law".

I think Pete is a cool cabinet member but he seems too young and pencil neck for VP material. Hard to quantify this but I don’t think he has the veep factor. Not yet anyway. He could run in the future if he wanted, would make a great governor or congressman.

Josh Shapiro - well, CNN’s John King stepped on that minefield yesterday: him being Jewish might be a problem for the base in places like Michigan, or anyone rightly upset about the half assed handling of the Israel-Hamas “war”

Andy Beshear apparently didn’t receive vetting materials as of yesterday, maybe it won’t be him, he seems like a nice guy but he’s also likely crucial for keeping the KY governors mansion blue, that’s a state that went deep red for Trump yet the people love this guy as governor. He has the purple factor. Might be too important in his role.

Leaving in my mind Mark Kelly as the likely pick at the moment, and the Democrats could still maintain that senate seat in a special election, depending on who MAGA runs. Another election denier would be a poor choice put it that way. Would put the “war correspondent” pencil pusher marine and the draft dodger firmly in their place. The only negative I’ve heard about him thus far is “he’s politically inexperienced” and “he might not help swing the northeast” but also he’s a highly decorated and ludicrously experienced naval air combat and space shuttle pilot so I think he will be fine building on his political experience and hitting the national trail if need be.

Having a guy with military background as VP is never a bad thing and could swing a few wobbling Republicans too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭briany

The email server thing is really just an excuse. Did Americans go, "Grabbing a woman by her genitals and running a scam university and belittling American ex-prisoners of war - I'm agnostic about that, but this email thing goes against what America stands for!"

I doubt it. Hillary was just plain unlikeable and had no message apart from, "More of the same! Wheeee."

Harris is definitely more likeable, but she'd have a job of work not to be. Still, Harris strikes me as a bit light weight and although Biden has now stepped aside, his administration's strategy of keeping her well in the background the last three years could bear some bitter fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the VP pick is likely to come from a swing state. Kelly is Arizona and so that would certainly be another advantage he has past his resume. Shapiro is Pennsylvania which is obviously a huge target for both sides, but Shapiro was also involved in battling against Trump's election fraud cases in PA. That could work for him, but would also instantly rile up Trumpists and would make a huge noise about electoral interference that might not be worth making for Harris at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭briany

Where were all these Trumpists when he was running for governor? He squashed his opponent in that election.

Looking at his victory, there's a big Democratic base waiting to be mobilised in the cities, if given a reason to go vote.

”Pokemon go fetch me another bottle of hot sauce for my purse meemaw”

She was deeply unlikable even without the baggage. Desperate efforts at pandering to young voters, black voters, and southern voters etc.

https://www.politico.com/video/2015/05/playback-hillarys-southern-accent-000346

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/04/hillary-clinton-pandering-radio/479004/

https://amp.knowyourmeme.com/memes/pokemon-go-to-the-polls

Coupled with credible reports that she was a mean person with colorful language behind closed doors made her entire persona seem like Mom from Futurama. Unlikable and untrustworthy.

let’s not forget the trouser suits - they HAD to play a role in her downfall

• Advertisement

I could care less about the pantsuits. Least concern of all to me. She likes how she looks in pantsuits, looks fine, wtf do I care.

Advertisement