Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The advantage in that situation would clearly be to get a free 25 yards right in front of the posts. A dead cert point. It is not advantage to be taking a shot under pressure and with the opposition player having a hold of your jersey. It's different if it was further out and a difficult angle, and the ref gives the forward a chance to get his shot off, and then brings it back if no advantage accrues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I agree with you there since 2013 we've had JBM, Kieran Kingston twice, John Meyler and Pat Ryan as managers and it's still an issue. A lot of it is to do with tactics and structure rather than playing personnel imo.

The two Downeys for example at full and centre back yesterday had great games, yet the Clare forwards had the freedom to do whatever they wanted.

Yep until that issue is resolved and until we toughen up the McCarthy Cup will not be coming back to the banks of the Lee!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭chrisd2019

Brough my 10 year old to the homecoming tonight, as with all loosing one, the team is not really wanting to be there as the hurt is raw, but was great to see the amount of kids with hurleys practicing on the pitch. The event seemed well organised and well worth the 4 euro each!

Hopefully next year it will be a winning home coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

Not sure you can be so sure.. the tug on the jersey was for a fraction of a second on the side away from the referee. I doubt he saw it, and if he did, he probably couldn't be sure. Same thing goes for the potential black card, they couldn't agree it on the Sunday game so how can a ref to so with confidence on one take of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

3 soft goals? has it occurred to you that they just may have been 3 well constructed goals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,276 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You're spot on. Those 3 goals don't happen to Kilkenny a Tipp or a limerick.

1 maybe, not 3 like that.

Post edited by The_Kew_Tour on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Yeah I was at it too. The only players that spoke were Hoggie and Patrick Collins.

Strange that Sean O Donoghue didn't speak, him being captain. Maybe he didn't want to.

Some of the players looked like they didn't want to be there, they didn't even look at the crowd when they were introduced onstage.

I enjoyed the Franks and the band that were on before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

Well I know Tony Kellys goal as good as it was should have not have that freedom to waltz in like that and use his hurley like he was waving a magic wand. They should have gone in on him heavy and do a Noel Hickey or Jackie Tyrell approach and hurt him that he wouldn't do it again. Take him out of it if needs be and concede a point but not a goal. It is almost identical to 2013 how we leaked the easy goals that killed us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

they were in there hole well constructed.. very few if any goals are 'well constructed'… Kellys goal looked great but it was shocking defending by Cork… Rodgers goal looked great… but he went thru a gap between 2 cork defenders… shocking..!! and dont get me started on the lame attempt by Ciaran Joyce to halt O'Donnell on his way to passing the ball to McCarthy for goal number 1… when i played my bit of hurling i mostly played in the full back line… i would have been fuming over Kellys goal especially… fuming..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭thefa

I know there was a bit of despondency from some of the regular posters after the game and hints that we may struggle to get out of Munster next season. Big opportunity missed Sunday, sure enough, but there’s a decent age profile in the team and in a stronger position with some of the younger players more established. Couple of very good wins along the way. Need a bit more consistency but I’d be surprised if there’s not at least another final in the next few years.

All I will say about the coming years, if the team are good enough they will get out of Munster and back into All Ireland final and go one better and win it. The 2004 team did that.

If it's a flash in the pan like 2013 then we are in big trouble. We need to bring more of the best u20 winning talent and go from there. Be ideal if Ben O Connor got involved in the coaching as well. Put a bit of hardness and dirt into them.

County football championship starts this Friday evening. Barrs v Douglas is the live match on rebelsonline. I signed up for it for this year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭John.G

Goal scoring from Clare changed from zero goals in the (2013 Final) first match to 5 goals in the second match a few weeks later if these numbers are correct, whatever conclusions, if any, can be drawn from that.

Clare

Cork

0-25
    5-16

3-16
    3-16

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Field east

re Cork were robbed - according to Michael Dignan, et al

(1). Cork had 97 minutes to beat Clare and did not. So this idea that it was robbed of a replay is a bit naieve to say the least

(2) re the ref and officials ‘ favouring ‘ Clare in some decisions. Cork had 97 minutes to counteract that. It’s like some teams up their effort when a player is put off . There are plenty of examples - even in tight matches-where teams with 13 or 14 players end up winning . Think the recent minor AllIreland hurling final re Tipp and Kilkenny. Cork should have ‘factored in this apparent “favouritism’ into its strategy and achieve the required score to win. Clare missed a large number of very scoreable points and two goal chances and this should have given Cork a ‘gee Up’

(3) I hope therefor writes a book some day and explain a few of his decisions - especially the last play. I am not finalist with the details of some of th new rules. But would it have been the case that the Ref - re the last play - saw the jersey pull and played advantage. He could have decreed that the pull did not interfere with the player striking the ball. The player was not running away so was not being held back by the jersey pull. The player just ‘mishit’ the ball The player did not capitalise on the advantage given and at that point we were TWENTY SECONDS OVER THE ALLOTTED TIME.
    so the question is was the ref technically right/entitled to blow the final whistle at that point?

Also , maybe the ref did not see the jersey being pulled? Just because it was clearly seen on TV does not mean that the ref saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You have to take the chances when you get there. That's 4 finals in a row lost now by Cork. And since 1990 we've only won the All Ireland 3 times. 3 times in 34 years. A shocking return for a county like Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,346 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Lot of short memories in here.

Cork were getting ripped to bits on short puckouts. Defenders are an absolute liability playing it out.

I agree we have lost 21 All Ireland finals in total. 6 since 1990. It seems to be an issue even before the strikes.

Doesn't mean you stick with a losing strategy and hope it works out. Clare were all over the Cork puckout, that was clear from about the 20th minute onwards. For the next 70 minutes we stuck with that strategy and Clare ended up winning the majority of possession from our own puckouts. Sticking with the long puckouts was crazy when it clearly wasn't working.

Losing by a point in extra time is not "clearly not working". Clare and Limerick would have been delighted if ye went short given the amount of mistakes ye make passing it around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Field east

I’m a bit confused with all the balls that Clare won - be they 50/50, 45/55 or whatever . And Clare winning most of the Cork puck outs when Cork got on enough balls to get THIRTY FIVE SCORES (35) and Clare’ s total was only THIRTY TWO (32) scores. What really won it for Clare , mainly, was their doggedness along with reading the game better -as it progressed- than Cork and adjusting accordingly.

Another point of note in the greater scheme of things is that Cork had reached its pinnacle in the game against Limerick and were not expected to reach even greater heights against Clare. Whereas Clare had loads of improvements do make on its performance against Kilkenny . And it takes an All Ireland to get that improvement out there. In other words Clare were on the rise while Cork had plateued

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

Cork were in a chasing position for a lot of the second half and in 2nd half of extra time.

The ref did miss things but not a whole lot that could be justified for the screams of robbed.

Clare if they were more clinical (look at their wides's) would have been much more ahead.

Better team won on the day. Cork really are a team that will definitely win an All Ireland Sunday just wasn't their day.

Sean O Donaghue needs to be dropped immediately from the panel. A big liability at the backline for a long time now. We cant win an All Ireland with him playing at corner back. Woeful defender. Destroyed by Gillane and caught badly for 2 of Clare's goals.

The trouble is that the longer you go without winning an AI (and the more finals you lose) the harder it gets to win it; just ask Mayo football supporters. We have lost four finals since 2005 now and that must get in the players heads.

I know players will say they will say they are not burdened by past final defeats but I'm not so sure, it must weigh on their minds. We are not quite at Mayo levels of final defeats yet but it is still concerning. After winning it in 1973 Limerick lost five finals in a row and nearly didn't win the 2018 final. They just squeezed over the line (deservedly). But if Canning had put over that late free who knows. We need to do that too I think (squeeze over the line) but we need it to happen soon.

On the subject of us hitting long puck-out's; the problem isn't the delivery, it's the fact that our forwards are not able to win it in the air often enough or if it is broken down, be the first to get possession of it. You can't rely on short puck-outs all the time; at some stage you have to be able to win a 50/50 ball from a long puck-out. We need a Fergal McCormack type player in the half-forward line. Kilkenny's forwards under Cody were unbeatable under the dropping ball.

Brian Hayes is 6 foot 4 and a major threat in the air but he is in the full forward line and anyway Lohan had his homework done on him last Sunday.

The long puckouts were absolutely not working. Clare won 55% of Cork's puckouts. Cork did well to keep in touch and Clare had some atrocious wides also. Clare scored 7 points directly from Cork puckouts in the 1st half alone as the half backs were cleaning up. Insanity to continue doing that over and over with no adjustments made at all.

Looking at Cork's recent history with short puckouts Clare would have gotten even more if ye went short. Only difference is ye get turned over in even more dangerous positions.

Opposition fans are literally laughing at the clown show ye produce when ye start going short. Ryan realised Cork's only hope is to keep the ball down the other end as much as humanly possible.

It's not one or the other. That's binary thinking. You need to adjust and mix things up. Doing the thing that the opposition are profiting from continuously and hoping it will work at some stage is crazy and naive. As I said Clare scored 7 points directly from Cork puckouts in the first half alone. That's a "clown show", just not as obvious.

Cork lost the vast majority of the long puckouts but insisted on doing it anyway. The red are puckouts lost. Clare won 26 of Cork's 37 long puckouts. That's stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

1 point in 3 games would be poor. AC actually got 4 points in his last two games though - 3 against the then champions Limerick and 1 against Clare. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your considered views......

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

I haven't seen any speculation as to whether SO'D threw the ball to McCarthy?

His first handpass, for sure was legit, I saw a good angle from the end line, but the second one I saw no clear view…I felt the way he was falling and the speed of release, it's surely thrown…coupled with the fact that he's Cian Lynch's apprentice in the throwing stakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Thats overly harsh but agree we need someone better in our starting 15. Hes a perfectly good squad player. Cant be captain though. He did some excellent things late on in the match but poor for the goals. He had a dodgy season generally

Advertisement