Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etiquette while commuting on public trasport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Japan has scumbags but operate in the shadows, not kicking the shít out of a bus shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Absolute narcissist scum on public transport with their phones.

Yesterday evening bad the pleasure of sitting across from a group of four adults one who for some reason felt the need to put his phone call on loud speaker.

The group all looked around retirement age and in blazers and suits. The type that would gladly look down their noses at others.

There needs to be a big campaign to nip this behaviour in the bud and introduction of quiet carriages on trains and trams.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

While on holiday in Australia last years I used the train from the Blue Mountains into Sydney a few times. It has a mix of normal and quiet carriages. What I noticed was firstly respectful people were of the quiet carriages and how quick people were to speak out if somebody didn't respect it. On one occasion a person took a mobile phone call and after less than a minute another passenger told her quite pointedly that this was a quiet carriage and the she should continue her call somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

S58 (2)

A passenger shall not use a personal stereo, mobile phone or similar device so as to be a source of annoyance to other passengers on a vehicle.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2019/si/273/made/en/print

Or S59 of

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/si/251/made/en/print

The problem is that absolutely no effort is made to even inform of, never mind enforce the rules. A simple sign saying devices can only be used with headphones would suffice in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Same can be said for all public spaces .. can’t understand how anyone can have their phone on loud speaker.

I genuinely think that in most case they just don’t realise ?

Also .. constant sniffing and sneezing !!

Oh.. On a train recently and the guy across from me ..’very dramatic inhale and then exhale straight across into my face’ ..
    happened a few times until I asked him to stop .

Himself and his BF were all eye rolling at each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

You can buy phone jamming products on Ebay/AliExpress etc. They're not very strong, will only Jam up to about 10 metres. But its enough if a person close to you is having a loud conversation or is watching rubbish on social media with the speaker on or has their music blaring.

Real bug bearers of mine on the trains:

People not moving down the aisles.

Bags on seats.

Not letting people off the train first before allowing people to board.

People bringing bicycles and scooters on trains.

Kids going to school on the other side of the city using public transport (catchment areas exist for a reason).

People sitting down with their legs out stretched in the standing area.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can buy phone jamming products on Ebay/AliExpress etc. They're not
    very strong, will only Jam up to about 10 metres. But its enough if a
    person close to you is having a loud conversation or is watching rubbish
    on social media with the speaker on or has their music blaring.

WARNING, these are illegal to use in Ireland, with possible jail time. Very much tracked and prosecuted by Comreg.

Note that you would also be interfering with the buses systems, like real time info and the signalling systems of trains!

Signs don't work in Ireland where "rules are for other people, not me".

The presence of a sign might embolden others to tell them to use their headphones.

I did see an interaction once where a woman with a child asked a late teenage/early 20's girl if she'd wear her headphones (on the seat beside her) rather than blaring out her "tunes" on loudspeaker and the response was "It is a public bus. I can play it if I want".

Most people are probably not aware that it is actually against the rules. I'd be confident enough that that lady would have either pointed to a sign if available, or went up to the driver if it was clear that it was actually against the rules.

You tend not to see much smoking on buses. As it is clear that it isn't allowed and most wouldn't tolerate it.

Do they block newer networks like 4G or 5G? I know they were around years ago but at the time they only jammed 2G signals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I was going to mention that modern phones use a wide array of different frequencies across 3g, 4g, 5g (and multiple different frequencies in each of those).

Plus the person could be connected to the buses wifi, that uses completely different frequencies again.

It isn't impossible to block all, but you would have to transmit noise on dozens of frequencies across a very wide band. But you are talking serious equipment then, definitely more complicated and expensive then the cheap devices of the past and more importantly highly illegal.

Ah yeah, I wouldn't buy one. I just had the feeling that they wouldn't work anyway even if someone shelled out on one!

I do definitely agree with that. Also reinforced by drivers getting on the speaker to tell them to stop smoking and announcements over the intercom.

Perhaps a radio and TV campaign, supported with on bus signs, announcements over the automated intercom and perhaps if the driver feels like it a direct announcement.

All the above could help change social attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Forgive my total tech ignorance.

So if someone is is in the seat ahead I can block their phone and effectively block their conversation?

How is that done? Would it not block other mobiles also? I'd love to do that!

Indeed they are, I think the Savoy had one installed about 20 years ago.

I also believe it was challenged very recently in court by a person claiming the Cell Phone Radio waves were causing her distress and discomfort. (This person went as far to paint the inside of their home with EMF Shielding Paint) And that she had to right not to be subjected to those waves…

There was a person on newstalk a few month ago that openly claimed they used a battery powered one.

I know you can broadcast up to a certain range without Comreg coming at you, but jamming a licensed range is forbidden.

I also know they are checking, we had a faulty TV in work that was jamming Cell Signals.

They work by jamming the phone signal, basically filling the band with white noise so that the phone and indeed all other phones cannot effectively communicate with the Cell Tower nearby.

Small hand held devices can only jam a few metres and the power required to jam is substantially higher than the power required to make a phone call for example.

The further away you move from the Jamming device the weaker its effects become (exponentially).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭john boye

There has been a poster campaign in recent months against it but it's more like "don't be a jerk, turn down your phone" rather than outlining how it's not allowed.

I see thanks. Tempting as that is what about blocking other people's phones though? Someone with earplugs minding their own business? What about MY phone? Could you effectively enter a bus and block out all those sitting within 20 feet of you? Is that what it would do or do you simply target a specific phone?

It will jam everything in range, which is why they are illegal

And as @bk mentioned, Bus and Rails systems are now dependent on cell uplink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

If I see somebody with a bag on the seat I go out of my way to ask to sit beside them.

It is generally a lack of manners across all facets of society. I'm 30 odd and anyone our generation would get a clip around the ears if we did anything ignorant. The latest generation have never been pulled into line when acting the b*llocks.

They were covering this on Newstalk one lunchtime lately and somebody stupidly said "a lot of it stems from the headphone jacks being no longer on the phone. Many many of these teens can't afford Bluetooth headphones". People like this are a massive part of the problem.

It truly is one of the many reasons so many people genuinely don't use public transport. We (the Irish) don't have the etiqette for it and many people see the comfortable, warm, silent, scumbag-free car as a real attractive option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Paul2019

Car parking in Dublin was anarchic in the 1980s and drivers suddenly found manners when car clamping was introduced.

We (the Irish) are indeed a wild and lawless people until a law is consistently enforced and then we become Teutonic in our compliance.

Bags are not a problem for me at all. If I need a seat and there are bags there I make sure to sit in that seat if I want it. The more upset that person is having to move his stuff, the happier I am.

Utterly selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭p_haugh

As are most modern cars, so you'd potentially be affecting other vehicles passing by at the same time!

Getting caught and fined is the only thing Paddy understands. Otherwise it's do whatever you like.

Civic responsibility and rules were never a strong point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Just doing a quick check in to confirm my original suspicisions that using the transport sucks and driving is truly a million times better.

Its is

Yes it is worth the threadban to say that. One needs to stop accepting poor options in transport and not just in Ireland. Hoping that scrotes will behave or that rules will be enforced on trains/cars is silly. Car is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I said it before… you'll never sell slow, wandering buses filled with noisy, disruptive, or ignorant people (some of whom have very questionable hygiene) as an attractive real alternative to the private car.

That's why the only measures are punitive (less road space for cars, less parking, ongoing rumbling of congestion charges or making employees pay for car parking at the office etc). Why would someone with a car willingly subject themselves to some of these stories otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The only thing is a Bus is a much cheaper option than the private car, so suck it up and put up with the mild if short lived discomfort of sharing the same space with all the undesirables society has to offer..

Its the same if you take a Ryanair flight to some Sun destination with groups of persons that have bellies full of alcohol in them…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's fine if (as with the Ryanair example) it's maybe 2/4 flights a year, but a bit different if it's 4 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I admit it is very unpleasant on PT, however it's the only option for many people.

Until we get something like Transport Police in this country then it will remain as unpleasant as ever.

• Advertisement

I live in an apartment building where almost everyone has a car and car parking space yet all my neighbours take the bus to the city center for work!

Go into the underground car park during the workday and it is full of cars, they are mostly just used at the weekends for trips, etc.

Why? Because the bus into the city center is vastly faster then driving, thanks to good quality bus lanes and it is much cheaper then parking in the city.

No public transport isn't perfect, but it does have many advantages if done right.

To be honest, some of the complaints here are a bit overdone. Most people just stick on noise cancelling headphones, look at their phone and barely notice what is going on around them. You can even check your emails, etc. before you get to work which is a great time saver.

All day parking in Dublin city costs about €20 to €30 per day, depending on car park, that is between €5000 and €8000 per work year! That is a lot of money to be spending just because you are afraid of a bit of noise from others on a bus!

EDIT: Just double checked the car parks, I see some do offer subscriptions for yearly work day use that would bring the yearly cost down to around €3k (North side) to €5k (South side) per year. Still FAR more then a bus and more then I'd want to spend.

I'd rather save that money, have a faster trip to town and take a nice foreign holiday every year with that money. But if that is how you prefer to spend your money, that is fine too.

Post edited by bk on

Advertisement