Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the event of united Ireland could DUP attract a significant vote in the Republic / 26 Counties ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The question may need to be changed to "could DUP attract a significant vote anywhere" after the huge hit to popularity that Donaldson has delivered.

With some extremely tactical voting / withdrawals from races, the TUV not withdrawing anywhere and the votes falling exactly the right way; the DUP could be down to as little as 3 Westminster seats in six weeks. They currently have 7, plus Donaldson's Lagan Valley was elected as DUP.

Lagan Valley and Belfast East are probably both gone to Alliance. South Antrim has a strong chance of falling to the UUP.

East Londonderry and Upper Bann may be in play; DUP got ~41% in each last time.

Really just leaves Strangford, East Antrim and North Antrim as solid.

If Alliance retain their existing seat, take Lagan Valley and Belfast East and also take Belfast South off the SDLP; they'd be the second biggest party in terms of Westminster seats. DUP got more than a bit hurt when SF became the biggest ahead of them; being third would be a severe hit to their morale. As would losing their leaders seat in Belfast East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I wonder is the timing just a little off for that to happen.

Had Stormont been back just a little longer I think Paul Givan's etc scaremongering about 'them ones getting in' may have fallen on deaf moderate Unionist's ears as they are seeing that a SF majority has not lead to what they've been told for years it would lead to.

I think they may be able to frighten enough horses to save a few seats, yet. The election will be fascinating though. I love a good election!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭sandbelter

Years as a rowing coach have thought me that a crew can do way more damage to themselves than any adversary can.

If the Dail Politicians continue with their insouciance towards the broader electorate…anything is possible.

The refugee crisis (including economic migrants), the housing unaffordability, planning bottlenecks such a Dublin Airport cap, the complete lack of discussion about supply chains dividing into Western and BRICS and no discussion of how to insulate Ireland all show a political class out of their depth….so never say no.

SF pulling out of four Westminster seats to give Alliance (x3) and SDLP clearer runs at them. Behead the DUP (again) by having Robinson lose his seat is a sensible strategy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

There was an independent unionist in Donegal in the 20s and 30s.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/people/james-sproule-myles-staunch-unionist-somme-hero-and-td-in-free-state-4274496

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Ah yes, James Sproule Myles. A brilliant man. Businessman, war hero from the First World War, everything. Interestingly, he was, and I quote "He was among a group of 40 Unionists kidnapped in February 1922".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Myles

The house burnings, intimidation, bullets in the post, kidnappings and sometimes disappearances and murders was one of the reasons the Protestant % of the population declined so much after partition here south of the border. The message was clear : Protestants and Unionists were to keep their heads down. In the 20th century after partition the Catholic % of the population in N. Ireland increased.

And then someone posts this thread title "In the event of united Ireland could DUP attract a significant vote in the Republic / 26 Counties ?" My God. In the event of a U.I. do you really think Unionists would not be bullied again?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I noticed a strange story on the news about an American tourist calling an orange parade "an Irish parade" and southerners got so wound up she had to apologise. This shows you that orange culture isn't respected in the republic even though they have orange in their flag to represent that culture. The parade was in Donegal with many of the Orangemen being Irish citizens which made the story even more bizarre.

I couldn't find any threads on the story so thought I would mention it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭techman1

If there ever was a United ireland so much would have to change here to make the DUP redundant, its raison detre is staying in the union so it would cease to be in the case of a united ireland. However there would need to be radical changes here for a united ireland to be even on the cards. Joining the common wealth, Joining nato, serious increase I defence and justice spending, new flag , new anthem.

People have no idea what a united ireland really means,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"on the news" - well that will surely help narrow it down.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Most people in ROI are opposed to those things (even though joining NATO and serious increase in defence and justice spending would be very sensisble)

Commonwealth - No benefit in joining and no way the majority of ROI is accepting that.

New flag - Ditto.

Anthem - Personally don't care as it's crap anyway and hardly anyone can sing it, so they clearly have little care for it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Suckler

People have no idea what a united Ireland really means,

Agreed.

Our Education system would require an overhaul. The Irish language cannot be forced the way it has ( I think it would actually improve its usage)

Public sector would need to be dragged kicking and screaming through changes, they wouldn't miss a chance to demand more pay over it.

Flag - the tricolour is pretty pathetic in my opinion - The white indicating the 'peace' between the two communities…..

National anthem - obviously would have to go; anyone attempting to ram it down Unionist throats and telling them to deal with it learned nothing from the Troubles.

So they ended up with 5, but lost one of the 3 I thought they were nailed on to keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Delightful - she can stay up there with her fear mongering and her tied up swings on Sundays

“Yet here we are with this proposal, when the bulk of the people in this area do not share an affinity with Irish culture or Irish language,” she continued.“It’s not in keeping with the area and I don’t think there is any need for it, especially when that land is zoned for employment.”Ms Bunting added that the act of putting forward plans to establish an Irish language school within a loyalist area follows a “pattern of behaviour” she has witnessed in other areas of Belfast, claiming it could be seen as provocative.“Some might suggest that this is a provoking gesture, as need in neither place has been demonstrated.”

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/dup-politician-told-to-catch-herself-on-after-objecting-to-irish-language-school/a1131782082.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Suckler

Add to the above; in the event of a United Ireland, we would have to listen to the illogical arguments of these people in the name of 'unity'. Their whole raison d'être is division, 'one-up-manship' and vengefulness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Point of order- we might “hear”, but we certainly won’t be fcking listening 🤪

It's NI's public sector that is massively overmanned compared to ours (or rest of UK) but when all you have is a hammer…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think in the event of a United Ireland the DUP would merge with FG. They would then be seen as a party that would try to align more closely with the UK than with the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭pureza

Are you serious? FG are socially liberal

Dyed in the wool DUP puritans would have nothing to do with that ideology

If there was a UI,I'd suspect voters up north would finally converge on parties that they agreed with on policies and outcomes as much as possible

FG are socially liberal

Joke of the week alert. They're already fairly close policy-wise and now seem fairly friendly with each other

https://www.independent.ie/news/fine-gael-audience-applauds-as-dups-donaldson-says-ireland-should-join-the-commonwealth/37944279.html

As an a-side I think joining the commonwealth would be on the cards in a United Ireland situation to bring the Unionists with us

Oh no, JD was at that conference five years ago being dragged up yet again.

No unionist worthy of the name is going to be won over by a united Ireland joining the Commonwealth.

• Advertisement

Its likely to be part of a package of sops to try and quell loyalist violence after a border poll that passes; rather than an attempt to win them over in advance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Name a single economic or social policy on which FG and the DUP align; a FG audience applauding a visiting politician's speech 5 years ago doesn't really prove anything except default politeness towards visitors, or back up the idea the two parties align on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭pureza

Regarding the Commonwealth,it might need a change of name before we'd rejoin it

Imagine if we had never left

One less issue to be resolved in tandem with a UI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s absolutely fantastic how angry FG makes some SF supporters. Living rent free in their head. Coming up with bizarre predictions and scenarios that even the poster doesn’t actually believe.

FG are going to be in government after the next election. The middle-class in this country know what’s what.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Right so a glib mic-drop; yet nothing substantive that makes the proposal remotely credible vs. all the fairly obvious differences in policy or social outlook - including 2 referenda that … well, let's charitably say the DUP would probably have opposed?

The DUP do not have an analogue South of the Border and its weird to spitball FG beyond what I presume is some resting pre-existing personal contempt for the party. If you had have said "parts of Fianna Fáil" it might have made more sense, not FG tho'.

"Water Charges" and polite applause for a guest speaker don't exactly read like stirring proof here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭donegal_man

On social issues DUP is probably a lot closer to Aontu than it is to any mainstream party in the Republic.

Wuestion posed: Name a single economic or social policy on which FG and the DUP align

Answer given: Water charges

If you don't like the answer given then maybe it's beacause you're a closet SF supporter

If you're gonna trot out childish, asinine comments like that because your "proof" of like mindedness was some polite applause and a single point of comparison wasn't taken seriously, then, lol, sure. If you think a meeting of minds would be possible because of Water Charges? Okay.

But I think we can all see there's no sane merit to claiming FG and DUP are kindred because ... "water charges" @donegal_man hit on the more likely ideological relationships found further down the food chain of Irish politics.

Being called a "closet SF supporter" did give me a good laugh though, so fair play.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure are you disputing my answer. Do you need more than one similarity between the DUP and FG? If so you should have asked

Advertisement