Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia EV9 or Sorento PHEV

Options
  • 23-07-2024 11:41am
    Administrators Posts: 372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Kia EV9.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ManUnited123

Hey everyone

So i went into the dealership to buy a new Kia Sorento Plug-in Hybrid and i test drove the car but then i also test drove EV9 and instantly fell in love with the car! I'm in the market for a 3 row SUV so Kia Sorento seemed like a good choice but EV9 was just one level above the Kia Sorento. However at around 90k euros i'm not sure if it makes much financial sense to get the EV9? Would anyone have an idea on what an EV9 would be worth after 4-5 years?

My plan was to get a new car and sell it after 3-5 years and buy a newer version of the car. With EV9 i think it will lose alot of value in the first 3-5 years so i might end up losing 40-50K euros over 5 years (which is around 1K a month in depreciation!!!). So just thinking if anyone has an idea on what the EV9 would be worth in a few years time?

I might have to stick to a Plug-in Sorento which is around 65K new and 5 year old are around 30-35K at the moment so approx 500 a month in depreciation but keen to hear other people's POV on this

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd say your figures are ballpark right, although nobody has a crystal ball here

Up to you really. Do you want to lose 50k in depreciation (€90k down to €40k) in the car that you fell in love with over the next 5 years or lose 35k in depreciation (€65k down to €30k) in a "meh" car? That's €3k per year extra depreciation

If you take into account the huge savings in fuel, maintenance, tax, etc. between the two, I'd say the total cost of ownership is very similar between the two cars even if you do average to a bit below average annual miles. Possibly even a bit cheaper to own the EV9…

Good point, i didnt factor in the fuel costs however i was thinking of the Sorento Plug-in Hybrid which has 50km range and i do 20km each day so i may have to charge it every second day or so but mostly thinking of keeping it charged up and not using much fuel with the Sorento so not sure if it would still make a significant difference in fuel costs for the 2 cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I was talking to my neighbour who has the big electric bmw suv and he bought it with the PCP since the prices of used evs are so volatile he said it meant most sense for him to go this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Any new EV purchased today will be worthless in 5 years time,so just buy the vehicle that you want and don't be worrying about re-sale value's.

• Advertisement

Worthless in 5 years. Of course. And in the middle of that period you would have to replace the battery, possibly twice, which costs €20k every time. And don't park the EV near the house as it will likely go on fire. Also excellent advice to just ignore depreciation. It is only by far the biggest factor in total cost of ownership. But hey, let them eat cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Your fuel savings will only be what you spend on fuel at the moment, road tax saving is only 20 euro, service costs you need to ask what they are for both cars,

A quick search says about 7/100km for petrol only, my own phev use is much them same as your self 20 to 30 km a day, fill up/top up every 2 months or so about 250 euro a year.

Done deal shows new for 65k and 4 year old cheapest is 45k, you might be able to reduce your depreciation exposure by buying nearly new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

We’ve just replaced the Sorento with an EV9. Were they still offering the K4, we might have gone with that, but it’s only the K3 now in the PHEV. In two years, you can expect the next generation Sorento will be there. I do expect the EV9 to have hefty depreciation though.

Comparing the two cars. Loved the Sorento, grand size, it was well equipped, okay power wise and fairly economical for our journeys. Downside, is that every so often it would hesitate for a fraction of second when you’re trying to drive off. As if it was confused which system to use. This wasn’t just a fault with our car. Drove me mad, had the same hesitancy with a dgt Sharan before. Have to say, facelift doesn’t really work for me either.

The EV9 is large. Too large for some places, and can be a pain in the arse in some multi story car parks. Space obviously inside is fantastic. Spec is superb as well. I found the entry level model unacceptably slow though. The GT line doesn’t suffer here, it’ll do sub 5 0-100 (you knock off another .7 if you download some pack that’s apparently included, but I can’t be arsed) which is more than you need for a car that size. I’ve only done one longer drive so far. Cork to Dublin (265km) left with 478, arrived with 180. Did a fair bit of overtaking trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭staples7

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ev9-earth-rwd-price-includes-1-000-scrappag/37361827

Your welcome, ive saved you 20k :) If they got to the 50k mark as a 1-2yr old car id be interested.

That's €20k of the depreciation, you won't be suffering. Makes a big difference imho. Nice find!

• Advertisement

Thats the earth version. Doesn’t have the sunroof and alot of the nicer features that the GT line does. Probably better to get the Sorento instead of this one.

and earth is around 77k new so the 70k there is about 7k depreciation

Advertisement