Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group patrolling the town

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Gardai meets group "community patrolling" at 2am

Garda: "Where are you off to, lads?"

Concerned Resident: "Oh, we're just out for our daily walk, Garda!"

Garda: "At two in the morning? Go home you eejits."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Agreed, however this group appears to be exclusively concerned with "migrants".

We could have a situation where someone feels concerned about a group prowling around following lads on their way home from work and forms a group to follow them. Then people get concerned by the group following the first group and form a group to follow that group.

We'll end up with half the town following each other around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Many of the immigrants have arrived illegally. Amazing how people can board planes with a passport and not get sent back to their departure airport when they fail to produce documentation. Our Government seem to just let anyone in without checks or controls. While I am sure many are genuine cases, I am sure many are not.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2023/03/23/just-one-prosecution-for-failing-to-produce-a-passport-in-four-years/

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What does that have to do with vigilantes following them around?

Whether someone arrived here illegally or not, they are entitled to claim asylum. If you have something to post about that, id advise you head on over to the toxic echo chamber of the 'zero refugee ' thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

You never see these same people talking about patrolling out side of drug dealers houses and everyone of them know where the drug dealers live and these are the same drug dealers that are destroying their communities and turning generations into drug riddled zombies.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Ceepo

They're literally protesting 100m down the road from the main drug dealers in town. Sure weren't the drug dealers protesting beside the concerned citizens for a while

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That's because they are thuggish bullies who rather bizarrely think they are in some way better than those who have darker skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Why would they protest the lad who supplies them with their weekend supply? I know a few of the protestors personally before anyone says "You can't prove that" etc etc etc.

You asked: What does that have to do with vigilantes following them around?

I answered your question and pointed out that illegal immigrants who have arrived here without documentation have in fact broken the law. This is separate to the their right to seek asylum, so don't try put me into some sort of racist category for pointing that out!! I can post replies and thoughts wherever I damn well please. If you have a problem with that, hit the report button and stop back-seat modding.

I have zero issue with people seeking asylum in genuine cases. I take issue with economic opportunists who board expensive flights from their home country, or board a Ferry from a safe country and "lose" their documentation along the way before presenting here with their hands out. Without documentation, these new arrivals could claim to be anybody. They could be gangsters, rapist, murderers, paedophiles. We just don't know and nobody is checking. With 85% of asylum seekers arriving at Dublin Airport with no documentation, or false documentation, you'd have to be a complete idiot to think the vast, vast majority of them hadn't ditched their passports on purpose. With no identity, they could be anybody and make up any story.

Many thousands of people arrive in Dublin Airport every day. Do you think 85% of them lose their documents? If asking questions and applying scepticism and logic to something is toxic, then I'm about as toxic as they come. Better that than be blinkered and naïve.

Stay Free

Err, that still has nothing to do with following "migrants" around. Unless of course the lads doing the following know the immigration status of the people they're following.

• Advertisement

This has nothing to do with vigilante groups deciding to take it on themselves to "monitor" migrants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Most of the migrants are crossing the land border.

I was correct then, your rant is purely against asylum seekers, I merely pointed out that there is a nice toxic echo chamber thread for that.

This thread is about a bunch of vigilantes following migrants around. Presumably they have no actual knowledge of their status or how they came to be in the country. So the point stands.

I don't support the notion of vigilante groups. Why do you have difficulty connecting the fact that many asylum seekers are leaving with, but arriving without any identification and that makes a lot of locals very uncomfortable.

From a safe country where they almost certainly landed from another safe country. To get to the soft belly of Europe (Ireland, just incase that wasn't clear), the IPAs cross through two, three or more safe countries. And of the ones flying here, 85% have no documentation, or fake documentation. Despite that, not a single prosecution has taken place.

Well no, clearly it is not "purely against asylum seekers". Spin it whatever way you want in your head, but the fact remains that the Irish authorities are failing on many levels to enforce the law, or to listen to the people. It's no wonder there are protests, riots and people talking about setting up vigilante groups.

While I don't agree with non-peaceful protest, i'm not so closed minded that I can't understand why some people have lost patience and have taken it further. You might view it differently if the Government decided to dump a thousand undocumented men into a warehouse across the road from where you live.

There's a serious echo going on in this chamber. Someone might need to look at that.

Stay Free

I've have no issue whatsoever with DP centres in my locality.

I would have a massive issue with a vigilante group thinking they are the law in my locality though.

I'm not here to discuss how migrants arrive in the country. This thread is not about that.

This thread is about vigilante groups forming "patrols" to follow those they can somehow identify as migrants by sight around towns, in order to monitor them.

Not about the destruction of passports, etc. Why are you having difficulty with that? If I wanted to join a migrant bashing thread, I'd be on CA. Not Legal Discussions.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: there is no leeway in this forum for posting such racist nonsense. This isn't an us vs. them forum.

Do not post in this again.

I'll help you out there, as you seem to be struggling to connect the dots. There is no real discussion if you focus only on the symptom and ignore the cause.

This discussion thread is about vigilante groups forming to monitor migrants, as you have said so yourself.

I have provided reasons as to why they are likely forming. This is very much on topic.

In more detail, the vigilante groups are forming partly because the Government and Government agencies are allowing undocumented immigrants to enter the country. Because their passports are "lost", there is no way to verify who they are and if they have a criminal history. This is not migrant bashing, but it's easier for people to use all the isms to shut down any points they can't or won't address.

I have no doubt in my mind that some scumbags are taking advantage of the situation with the protests to be violent and thuggish because they are actually racists and/or thugs/criminals. Unfortunately that just takes the spotlight away from those with genuine concerns and fears who are largely ignored because they aren't the loud mouths seen all across social media.

To summarise in the most basic fashion:

Symptom = Vigilante groups monitoring illegal immigrants.

Cause = Government policy

It's very easy top say on the internet that you would have no problem with DP centres in your locality. I've seen people say the same of waste water treatment facilities, or injection centres, but minds change like the wind when these facilities are actually planned for an area. Not every community has pockets as deep as those in D4 to take out injunctions against the placement of illegal immigrants in their community.

I too would take issue with a vigilante group. They are not the answer, but as I said, I understand why some are going that way.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

• Advertisement

I'll help you out there.

Symptom = Vigilante groups monitoring illegal immigrants.

Cause = Racism.

Fixed it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Woodcutting

I have heard it is to start soon.

Attempt to revive a thread that had gently expired? Anyway the whole endeavour sounds a bit like Slattery's Mounted Fut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Failed election candidate and village idiot fergus power is jumping on this idea now, He's setting up a registered security company, and you'll need a PSA license, but it'll be unpaid volunteer work apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Deregos.

This destroying of passports thing is getting out of hand. Heavy fines for airlines and other carriers of any passengers who have 'lost' or purposely destroyed documentation need to be enforced.

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

The migrants could set up a second group to follow the concerned citizens.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you just throwing that out there in an off topic manner or are you posting on-topic as you're trying to suggest that a bunch of unvetted vigilante thugs should police our towns in order to somehow help stop people coming in without a passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭jiltloop

There are plenty of "economic opportunists" of our own who are the protestors. That's the main point people are making.

Also, many of these "Irish" protestors are not only economic leachs on our taxes but are also gangsters, rapists, murderers and paedophiles, convicted ones too.

Can you not see the irony here? Or more seriously, can you not see the problem with these people thinking they have the righ to take on policing duties themselves. It would be interesting if they had to have garda vetting as a prerequisite for joining the community patrol groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Venn diagram of "concerned citizens" and dealers would be a circle in most of these instances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Apologies, I'm absolutely not endorcing the actions of violent vigilante thugs in any way. Previously reading through the thread, I remembered seen the destroying of passports mentioned, and then I'd seen that article published yesterday and thought it would be new information that was relevant to the conversation, so sorry but yes . . it was posted off topic.

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

Advertisement