Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who’s bringing the horse - no - EV to France?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Domaine des ormes is a great spot. They now have 10 chargers on site (when I went last year they had none). The local lidl is 10 mins away and there's a 150kW as well as multiple AC chargers there. I used chargepoint and that was accepted at lidl. I also have plugsurfing RFID. It's a good backup to have because it always works but it's usually very expensive.

I drove from the ferry at cherbourg and charged at mont st michel supercharger on the way down. It's a supercharger in the corner of a hotel carpark, was very busy when i was there and there were no amenities without traipsing into the hotel.

With the Tesla app, the Ionity app and chargepoint, as well as whatever QR code is needed for the onsite AC, you'll be perfectly fine. It's a great spot, enjoy the holiday! We're going back at the end of next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Megastreisand

I have found the Shell Recharge rfid quite handy in France and indeed Hertz gave me a fob version on the 3 occasions that I've hired evs there. It seems to be very widely accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I had Shell Recharge a few months ago and had literally 0% success getting to work on the Ionity chargers here

I decided not to chance it over in France, although I suspect it's more reliable over there

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

For anyone travelling to Le Littoral, there are 2 X AC chargers on site at a very reasonable 22c/kWh (via chargemap so presumably even cheaper if you pay izivia direct). No overstay fee which is a blessing and a curse, charger could end up blocked for the day, but it meant I could plug in last night at 2330 for a 6hr charge and unplug at 0700 (I know, I'm the worst). AND they are installing 4 more chargers today, will be interesting to see if they maintain the same price!

There's no shortage of CCS charging on the way down, recommend Ionity and Tesla subscriptions and if you are coming via Rennes there's a Tesla supercharger stop at Parc de Bréquigny, park is nice with a playground and over the road is a big shopping centre, Rennes Alma.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I might try that Tesla charging station if the chargers are all full at the Novotel this time around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭joe1303l

No worthwhile alternative. Any competitors that existed seem to have left the Irish market since Covid. AA cover is also very expensive for what it is.

What car have you got? If it includes breakdown cover it might cover Europe as well

I was looking at AA and I found that VW ID cars have European roadside assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭denismc

I have a Hyundai but it's over 2.5 years old so I'm not sure if it's covered by them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Advertisement

Sorry I should have been clearer, these are at Novotel. There is another Tesla site open to all in Rennes, with 20 stalls

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Same here. It worked on the lidl chargers.

Plugshare and chargepoint also worked but were significantly more expensive.

just saw this. 25c/kwh fast charging looks very competitive.

IEVOA mixing up KW and KWh 🤦🏻‍♂️

Those are good prices though, the AC chargers I used were around 45c/kWh

Maybe this'll put some pressure on other providers to lower prices

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Now that is impressive. It's not competing with the motorway stops in terms of accessibility, but they aren't in crazy-out-of-the-way places either. And yes, a good few of the units that I looked at are 2x 320kW chargers with 2x 160kW units alongside.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭prosaic

Thanks! Could be handy on first leg of trip, down through Le Mans towards Limoges. Other parts of our routes aren't well served by them as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ummagumma_78

These additional chargers are now working. Different provider (zewatt) to the other chargers so meant having to set up on another app which is a bit of a dose. The rate was higher as well - 30c/kWh. Great to have the option to charge on-site though

I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip to France next summer (yeah I know this summer isn't over yet 😂)

Thinking of heading further south, maybe Le Pin Parasol or similar

Looks like I'll need a charge around Rennes if heading from Cherbourg. ABRP is recommending the Tesla Supercharger at Novotel Alma

https://www.plugshare.com/location/67919

Anyone know what the location is like? Would be looking for somewhere to get lunch and let the kids run around, hotel nearby seems to have both but I'm not sure if they're available to non residents

Any better suggestions from anyone? I'll be plugging in at 30% which isn't ideal (ID.4 77kWh) but ABRP doesn't seem to like anything further south

it’s a great location for a stop. The hotel is fine and there’s a large shopping centre close by.

I’m in France at the moment. Flew and hired a car this time as we are in the south. We booked an e2008 but were given a mini countryman all 4 ( with ridiculous Union Jack tail lights).

Haven’t actually managed to charge the car yet. Only 7 and 22 kw chargers around and absolutely no fast charging available for miles. Can’t get campsite charger to work. Absolute dose. I’m going to try the 22 kw in the village this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭browne_rob5

I stopped here on the way to Pin Parasol this year. I dropped the family at the McDonalds and then drove over to Tesla chargers and headed back over to the McDonalds when finished. I used the bathrooms in the Novotel and there was a bar/restaurant there but I didn't use it. The McDonalds has one of those outdoor play areas and there is also a bigger playground outside the shopping center nearer the chargers.

Spent around an hour wondering around the shopping center then just to reset the kids before heading off again. There was a carousel and a couple of other activities in the shopping center too. Good stop overall and would recommend.

Also I was in a 58kWh Ioniq 5 and left Cherbourg at 94% so sure you could keep going further. ABRP told me I wouldn't make it and it seems to be particularly conservative in warmer weather. It is almost exactly halfway though.

Ugh, I hate those taillights, should be normal ones outside the UK

Are the chargers offline or busted? I found the breaker near the chargers in Domaine Des Ormes and tried a sneaky manual reset when they were broken, maybe something similar might help?

EDIT: Did the car come with a granny cable? Would charging from the mobile home be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That Alma location came up for mention around 4 pages back in the France holiday thread - basically it can get very busy, especially on a Summer Weekend, etc. It is a good spot in fairness, except that it's too distracting in ways - and a "quick stop" here in 2018 turned into an hour and a half due to the attraction of the shiny-new-things in the shop windows. So unless you can outfit your family with donkey blinkers, I'd be going for somewhere quieter.

I initially found a place outside Derval (46km from Rennes) with 320kW chargers, except on further review - it's a truck stop and there's absolutely nothing attractive about the place.

Bain-de-Bretagne seems like a possibility as it's not an SPOF, has 8 stalls (2x 150kW, rest are 100kW) and it's near to the centre-ville. Plus, all of the street-names are named after their war-heros, so what's not to like? 😀

Other than that, there do appear to be gaps in the French infrastructure along the West coast, but part of that is a mapping issue as the French don't engage on some of the open mapping sites such a Plugshare or OpenChargeMap.

Try having a look on Chargemap too:

https://chargemap.com/map

Post edited by 10-10-20 on

busted I think. Finally got going with chargemap card this morning in the village. Wouldn’t be a fan of the car at all. . They half offered us a Tesla for abit more and we should have taken it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I left Cherbourg with 93% charge and a roof box on top and a three bike rack on the tow hook of our id4 and got to the Alma charging station in Rennes with 24% charge. Topped up to 90% and headed off again.

Then got to the Aire de service de la Vendée with about 40% charge, topped up to 90% and got to Bonne Anse Plage with 40%.

No issues charging at any of the stops and plenty of free ones using the Chargemap card.

Thanks folks, yeah I remember the comments a while back about Alma being rammed with people

Tbh I'd be happy enough for an hour's break after driving 2-3 hours. Ideally I'd like to avoid the McDonald's because I'm fed up of the place, but it is an easy option for the kids

you can eat in hotel and avoid McDonald’s completely if you wish I’d say.

That'd be my plan, it looks like the McDonald's is across the shopping centre from the chargers so I might be safe as long as the kids don't spot it

I'd be happy enough to grab lunch in the hotel and let the kids use the play area there if they'll let us. Might email the hotel to ask

The hotel is right at the entrance to a nice public park with a playground, it's about a 5 minute walk from the chargers to the playground. Haven't eaten in the hotel but there are other options in the shopping centre apart from McDonald's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭eagerv

That'd be my plan, it looks like the McDonald's is across the shopping
    centre from the chargers so I might be safe as long as the kids don't
    spot it

If they are anything like mine were (Now grown up tbtg) they can smell a McD from about 20kms away 😊. Unfortunately they recognise the signage, I think they are strategically placed so that only children see them.

Our young fella didn't even particularly like the food, it was that feckin toy…

Advertisement