Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 10% of earners contribute 2/3 of income tax take

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

you're still looking at a narronarrow view of overoverall tax. Which is silly frankly. And it's actually very self centered obviously. I point back to my original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

That might explain the difference in what the article claims is top 10% and what CSO does

(102k in article vs 78k on CSO)

Article author mixed up his tax units which could be couples with people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Sorry i dont get you, whats the point? what i am saying is factual, its not an opinion and not self centered, its the facts of the income tax take.

you have a strange notion of what kind of lifestyle 300k gets people nowadays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

https://www.pwc.ie/issues/budget-2024/income-tax-calculator.html

**Minimum** monthly disposable income would be €13,298. Tax can't make it drop below that.

I would suggest that 99% of people on a PAYE wage of that amount are making the full EE contribuition to their pension, therefore whats left then is a little under 12k per month. I understand that its a form of saving but its locked away and cant fund day to day living.

You are forgetting that they can write off their health insurance and expenses, pension, etc. against tax and probably avail of other tax-efficient income.

pension is capped at a small amount (max salary for calc purposes 115k), tax credit for health insurance is tiny, what else you got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

Just the 12k a month after maximum tax free pension contributions? The poor people, how can they survive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

"whats to stop others doing the exact same"

Was the part of your post I was responding to. There are plenty of people who work extremely hard, who through no fault of their own have and could never have been in a very highly salaried position. There are countless things that prevent people from just doing the exact same.

If you think there are no, 'Oh....Bob in C-Suite's best friend's son is looking for a job' type conversations getting people put to the front of the queue with heavy suggestions that it would be a very good idea to hire him......if you think, 'Daddy's a Partner in Deloitte' doesn't open any extra doors compared with, 'My Old Mans a Dustman', what can I say but I admire your naivety. Maybe you're just not privy to some of the conversations that go on.

I'm certainly not making an, 'Eat the Rich' argument, I already pay a hell of a lot of tax and would be right in the firing line the Shinners are aiming at.....but I find the lack of self awareness and realisation of how much help, support or sometimes downright good luck the vast majority in very good financial situations actually have had, myself included. Working hard is certainly required to become wealthy in the vast majority of cases outside of, 'set up for generations' type inheritances, but hard work alone isn't even close to enough.

The, 'I pulled myself up by my own bootstraps, did it all on my own' type arguments are rarely true and usually accompanied by a sneering look down at those less well off that is about as tedious as the, 'tax the rich..... by the way, the rich are any who earn more than I do' begrudgery.

Broadly speaking, I think our current system of taxation strikes a pretty good balance for the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Those figures are quite alarming.

Given that most high earners are working for the multinationals, any downturn in that sector will not only have catastrophic effects on corporate tax, but also on income tax.

The only solution, in that particular situation, in order to maintain social welfare, health and education, will be to lower the tax net and increase the burden on lower earners. The problem with that is that the high social welfare rates in Ireland will make not working increasingly attractive, thereby increasing the expenditure and tax problems. We could fairly quickly - a matter of 18 months or so - enter quite a vicious downturning circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…im sure folks on healthy 6 figures are not using their earnings to accumulate assets such as stocks, shares, bonds, land and real estate, and since overall taxation is relatively low on the accumulation of such…..

…id also say this 'burdened' class are probably not struggling to meet their most critical of needs such as housing and health care……

burdened, give me a break…..

…this thread is designed to attempt to paint a picture of victimisation of the 'burdened' class, its akin to language used by not so nice traits, particularly narcissistic traits…….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭highpitcheric

Well then how does the top 10% break down.

Everyone up to the top 2% could just be barely contributing minions like the rest of us.

Are that other 8% just trying to count themselves in with the big boys.

i think you are misinterpreting the use of the word burden to be honest. It was meant as a reference to dependence on, not that the people themselves were burdened as such but it wouldnt be boards if there wasnt an outraged cohort,

For example who are you replying to when you say they arent struggling to meet critical needs, did anyone make that suggestion?

The thread was started on the basis of figures released by the govts tax strategy group, sorry if you think thats attempting to paint a picture. Its just statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Because I come from somewhere that has some of the most affluent families in the country and also some of the least (though property prices have been hugely benefitted by the former).

The ones who came from the less affluent areas have actually done quite well moving abroad, as tradespeople and management in retail but I can't think of one of them who would be making huge money in any corporate jobs.

Conversely the ones from well off families all have jobs with Accenture, KPMG, solicitor firms, software start ups etc.

These were all on the same sports teams growing up. Went to the same school. Even would have gone out with the same people. The only real difference when taking at face value is how much their parents made. I find it hard to believe there is much of a difference in their work ethic, just the opportunities they got.

I posted link to interactive CSO graph by each percent higher up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

People need to differentiate between the rich and the wealthy, the people who's net worth is increasing by 100k a year and those increasing by 1million+ a year.

We don't need to tax the rich, we do need to tax the wealthy.

Asset inflation and wealth concentration have been disastrous for other countries, the US and the UK as prime examples. Ireland has always been more progressive and has escaped this so far, but wealth moves up, wealth concentrates, and the vast majority are left with increased cost of living, struggling services, and failing infrastructure.

No one should be coming after the top 10%, or even the top 1%. It's the top 0.01% where the real wealth lies, and that's where the government should be targeting through asset taxes.

• Advertisement

There is no multinational "sector". Multinational companies operating in Ireland include those involved in professional services, banking, gambling, media, software, electronics, telecoms, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, transport, construction, building materials, food & drink, retail, energy, HR, property, general manufacturing and other businesses.

I suppose I agree that if all of those go bust, we might have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If you depend on income, you are not rich. The rich own assets and income is some irrelevant dividend for them. High earners are the most productive members of society, taxing them harshly is counterproductive. We should be targeting the non productive wealth. Capital gains, inheritance, corporate. I understand we play the corporate tax game to maintain FDI, so there is some argument for keeping that low.

…please explain to us how high earners that engage in actions to help the inflation of the price of assets such as property and land, are productive members of society?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

By definition of being high earners, they are being renumerated at a higher rate. They are in competition in an open market for this higher rate, therefore they must produce higher returns for their employer commensurate with this expensive investment in them. Therefore they are more productive as deemed by their employers who themselves are in competition in an open market.

Post edited by joseywhales on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I wasn’t forgetting that. Generally the wealthier you become the more “aware” and clever how you can save becomes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭DataDude

A large part of the pension tax break is actually just a deferal for higher income earners as they pay 40% on the way out (other than tax free lump sum) along with USC for a second time.

But anyway, the post was in response to a person saying an individual on €300k would have such a big net pay they wouldn’t look at their payslip so the post was estimating what a realistic net pay to cover todays living expenses might look like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭DataDude

This all makes sense in theory but immediately breaks down unless you have a water tight global tax agreement.

Game theory kicks in and countries realise these ultra high net worth people are massively beneficial even at a negligible direct taxes due to their consumption and job creation.

So you get to a point where you’re implementing these taxes that nobody will actually ever pay, costing your economy and the standard of living of the entire population all on some moral stance.

Ideally you could get global buy in, but good luck with that. You’ll always have a few countries who are delighted to take the ultra high net worth individuals off your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭greyday

So what do we actually consider high earning now the lower side?

Are people earning 100K taxed fairly?

Why drop the USC when the real high earners cannot avoid it, what not stick to income tax cuts which the majority benefit from, keep in mind USC is 8% when you earn over 75K.

Not sure if this is correct but it worth a look

https://ie.talent.com/tax-calculator/Ireland-100000. 100K per month

https://ie.talent.com/tax-calculator?salary=100000&from=year&region=Ireland 100K per year

That assumes those high-wealth individuals are beneficial to consumption and job creation which they demonstrably are not.

There is little relation between net worth and consumption because people are limited in what they consume. Someone with billions or even millions can only eat so many calories and wear one pair of pants at a time. They can only sleep in one bed, in one house per night. There is little relation between net worth and employment. A billionaire likely doesn't need their houses cleaned 1000 times more than a millionaire.

It also assumes that moving assets and wealth from one geographic location to another is easy, which it is not. Property and land have fixed locations, as do companies and staff. All these can be taxed in situ, we don't need global tax codes.

Again, if it was so easy, then why aren't all those wealthy people living in tax havens right now?

I'm sure you can find edge cases, but there is little to lose by taxing the ultra wealthy. Oxfam did a study where even a few % wealth tax on those with more than 5 million would generate 8 billion annually for the Irish economy.

…this is waffle!

…if the actions of some high earners causes the inflation of the value of assets such as property and land, this is not the definition of 'productive members of society', they in fact are causing great harm to society, as little or no productive capacity increase occurs from such actions! this in fact causes the extraction of wealth from society by whats termed 'rent seeking' behaviors!

Unfortunately, while this seems intuitive, it's not real, and dozens of studies show that past a particular salary (which is quite low) there is no relationship between salary and productivity.

• Advertisement

not sure where this place is that has some of the countries most affluent families and least we'll off yet they all goto the same school, regardless do you really think their parents all got them jobs or perhaps is it their example and guidances that's more prevalent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I am not saying the wealthy shouldnt pay most of the tax. I am saying they already do and that there is a limit to how much tax you can levy against people before they walk, especially in todays globalised economy.

We have a huge budget surplus already each year. Money is there to address inequality, but dont spook the golden goose.

Thats the point. Thats why we keep a lot of high earners here.

40% tax isnt punitive for people earning 500k or even 200k, so keep it as it is, but keep raising the 40% tax entry level above the rate of inflation.

Having a new 50% tax rate on everything over 200k or whatever would push high earners out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yes that's how the tax system works. No idea what your point is.

no loopholes is the point

Low corporation tax helps large MNC who launder money onto Bermuda not native small startups

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

They have jobs with Accenture. KPMG etc because they got educated. That's not nepotism. Accenture doesn't deal with nepotism and never has. Neither do software start up etc.

If they did they would all go bust very quickly

It's not hard to believe, you just don't want to believe it

Accenture, for example, is full of people from India. A lot who have come from a lot less than what you call "some of the least ". You claiming that is nepotism?

Accenture is probably the least nepotistic of the big consultancies here. I can state as a fact that it is absolutely a factor in at least two of the Big 4 from personal experience, and would suspect it is so in the other two. Even with Accenture, I'm not sure of their total breakdown, but I'd be curious what the representation of Indian people is like at MD to Senior MD level is like compared with the lower paid staff percentage?

Startups, I'd agree with you mostly (though there's always a Non-Executive Director role or two hanging about to grease the odd palm).

That still doesn't mean nepotism isn't a factor, mostly soft nepotism (foot in the door) but still plenty of straight up nepo-hires happening, whether you realise it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

Knowing someone high up in the Big 4 gets them an interview - but after that it's on the person's interview performance (usually interviewed by junior managers) whether they get a position. Probably if you were offspring of a partner that might change things in their favour but I didn't come across it in 10+ years in these firms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The current Budget surplus must be put in the context of massive past deficits.

2018 = tiny surplus

2019 = 1.7 bn

2020 = massive budget deficit of 18.7bn

2021 = another huge deficit, 6.6bn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

meanwhile wealthy farmers can pretend to have no income and disguise their vast wealth in other ways

I could personally attest to four people hired between Deloitte and EY because of a direct connection to a Partner. To be clear, none of the four were incapable of doing the job they were hired for, but better people interviewed in those four specific cases.

I was involved in all four hires personally and one was my own direct hire; I'm fully aware of the insinuations made to me and my team before the interviews began, though nothing was explicit enough to hold water legally. I spent substantially less than ten years between both firms collectively, and wasn't at a level at the time to put up much of a fight against it without jeopardising my own career. I suppose I'm somewhat complicit, but I wasn't willing to sacrifice my own family comforts to stand up against it.

To be fair, I'm of course preventing with absolutely zero evidence beyond my own anonymous testimony, but even if I was a total spoofer, your own acknowledgement that 'knowing someone high up' is enough to get you an interview is already a demonstration of nepotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

That doesn't surprise me - particularly at Deloitte. My experience in PwC was that it was up to the candidate to prove themselves at the interview regardless of whether they were a referral. Comes down to the individuals involved and the firm culture ultimately.

Indeed, but if we want to continue the budget surplus trend, taxing high earners and job creators into oblivion wouldn't be the way to go.

On 100K salary you pay 38K between Tax, PRSI and USC to the exchequer, are people seriously suggesting this is too low?

To be clear, I'm talking above and beyond just a referrals process (which I suppose could be considered a form of nepotism; call me a hypocrite, I'd be lost without referrals over the years).

Glad to hear it isn't the culture within PWC; some parts of my experience with Deloitte internal politics in particular put me off ever considering big 4 work again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Lots of people mentioning 40% tax for 'high' earners, just to be clear, it is 52% on anything you earn over €70k, that is a combination of income tax, PRSI and USC.

Padre Pio does seem to be very friendly to many earning half decent money but maybe I am reading him wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I'll tell you what they wouldn't give, the effort to get into that 1%

Advertisement