Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crowdstrike update causes IT outage - affects flights / banks / railways / TV channels and more

12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's not just a case not having a few Linux PCs but having some Linux PCs that can run the necessary enterprise software.

Our place, for example, have various SAP implementations which have been customised in certain ways. How do you justify the cost of having those expensive changes made on an infrequently used Linux OS version of the apps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

That is the problem, the plethora of Windows only enterprise apps.

In my place, aside from outlook and Teams, all my tools are browser based. We use Remedy which is browser based, but Ive worked in places before which had a thick client for Remedy, and a thick client for some other database system, and various other thick clients with only Windows clients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭drury..

I thought Acronis Boot Recovery and the like load before the BSOD

In fact I'm nearly sure they do

If they do I'm not getting why each PC can't be restored handily enough

Ya'd have a designated person on site to restore each unit. Not much IT training needed.

Ya'd have a designated person on site to restore each unit. Not much IT training needed.

Which is an additional ~40k cost per site.

Therein lies the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Do you actually work in IT or are you just thinking **** up?

I get that but my main point is that the restoration using boot recovery software (Acronis or similar) can be done before the bsod

Even I could perform that task on each unit and travel between sites

No waiting round for a fix or a IT expert

You could in theory have a burger flipper at McDonald's designated to restore PCs with a days training and real time guidance from central IT

Can someone point out where I'm wrong here without the wise cracks

Ya I work in IT I'm the top man in the country

Wtf do U think

Play the ball not the man

I wasn't wise cracking, and no there is nothing wrong with your idea in theory. I was simply saying the main reason against it is budget.

I work for a multi-billion dollar company and we can't get budget to buy a pencil right now. The burger flipper is still going to cost the company 25k a year per site. All for a disaster that may not happen again for another 10 years.

Edit: And your solution will only work if the next catastrophic disaster results in the same outcome. The next dodgy update that gets pushed out could cause a completely different scenario where acronis won't help.

My point stands though if every unit is potentially going to be hit they can be auto mirrored daily and restored easily before the bsod etc.

The burger flipper will of course be flipping burgers 99% of the time, therefore limited outlay

He will have the training to do the restores if needed and take directions from a IT person upstream who centrally controls the whole operation for the various affected sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Acronis or any such other "recovery" software is absolute junk aimed at the domestic user. To get Acronis to load before Windows somebody has to, a) sit in front of the affected computer tapping F8 or F10 etc and b) have administrator rights for said computer to actually respond to this key tapping. The actual fix itself is easily enough done and IT training is most certainly required to go drilling down in the C drive looking for the line that needs to be deleted, also a lot of sensitive information is stored on these machines and any old Joe or Mary can't be let loose on these machines.

• Advertisement

If the man can't tie his boot laces there's no point in passing him the ball…

I thought you were being serious until:

The burger flipper will of course be flipping burgers 99% of the time, therefore limited outlay

He will have the training to do the restores if needed and take directions from a IT person upstream who centrally controls the whole operation for the various affected sites.

You're not making any point saying its junk. That's just meaningless waffle

Whats the point your trying to make about tapping? You tap once to load the recovery screen

The adminstrator rights is this a big hurdle or simply a password needed ?

Play the ball

What's your counterpoint apart from bigging yourself up here with wisecracks

For the second time I am not making wise cracks.

Your idea about using acronis is a good one, and probably many companies had a similar disaster recovery strategy and used it on Friday.

Your idea about using a Burger flipper who is somehow trained in the use of acronis and is on call in case such a disaster happens again is poorly thought out gibberish.

If you don't like that opinion, I am sorry, but don't bother responding to me.

It isn't meaningless waffle, acronis is shockingly unreliable as are all those "recovery" software packages that are aimed fair and square at the home user, windows restore is actually more dependable. What you're proposing is to install Acronis locally on every machine used by a company, have you any idea how much that would cost both in the actual cost of the software and the time setting it up in each machine before giving it to the employee? Hackers get word that company X are using Acronis so they design a little programme to hide in the "hidden" Acronis partition, goodnight dick💥. In the XP days the first thing my brother who works in IT told me to do was to turn off window restore as it was a favourite hiding place for malware etc. Anyway recovery software wouldn't stop the crowdstrike programme automatically updating itself and going bang on the newly installed image (if it actually worked) never did for me. I just have Windows in a separate partition and all my data, pics etc in another partition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Add in the complications that a security conscious corporate environment might have whole disk encryption, USB ports diabled, boot from other devices or disk's disabled, bios setup password protected and it gets a bit more difficult to resolve a system that is stuck in a boot loop, especially when many sites and users might be remote without a local on site help desk or frontline IT support staff.

The simplest, most cost effecive solution can be to just swap out a PC or laptop with another with a standard image. Then reimage the swapped out system and use it to replace another affected system, etc...

Backing up, possibly tens of thosands of end user systems doesn't scale effectively and is possibly pointless if they (should) only contain a standard system image. If you cann't boot, you can't restore (to the same system) anyway.

If your company has outsourced it's IT support, join the queue with all their other clients. Even if your company has a substantial in house IT support organisation it could take some time to get around to all affected systems.

Most of the issues in your first paragraph wouldn't prevent a boot restore ?

I was mostly playing devils advocate here and I take your point that the corporate world is more complex than amsimple home user doing a restore or booting from a clone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

There is so much ill thought out rubbish in your posts. Devils advocate or not.

I'll go to my 2 favourite phases for scenarios like this.

1. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You somehow thing your smarter than every IT manager who has to balance costs vs benefits.

2. Don't argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and beat with experience.

3. If you don't have time to do it right you must have time to do it twice. I don't have time to point where you are wrong and u don't want to come back again to tell you again.

Your wrong, no matter how you think you are right or correct Your wrong. Go off and find something else to do and leave the IT to the professionals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Anyone with IT equipment already has IT support staff.

The fix for it is vastly faster than what your suggesting.

Remote computers often need fixing. Its not unusual to have to go fix them,or have them brought in to be fixed. It just takes time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It doesn't prevent resolving the CrowdStrike issue but it does mean each affected system needs on site frontline IT staff to fix it. It may need multiple passwords (bios/uefi, local administrator, disk encryption), running a utility to get an identifier which is used to retrieve the key to access the ecrypted boot disk and then either manually delete the problematic file or run a script to do it. If booting from a USB stick with the utility and script, it also needs making bios/uefi configuration changes to boot from USB and changing them back afterwards. Whatever way it is fixed there are manual steps that can't be done remotely.

And that all assumes the next critical error affects the system the same way it did on Friday. The next one could affect the system in a different way.

Like if last year your house got flooded. You spend the summer filling sandbags and putting them all around your house to stop flood water and then this year a hurricane comes and blows your house away.

A mature disaster recovery program doesnt focus on one possible threat its about what to do when some_bad_thing_happens.

6 days after a catastrophic worldwide failure most systems are back. To be fair, thats not that bad.

Ours were back within 30 mins of people being in the next morning. We only had a handful of systems effected though.

Some places might have had bring servers back up following a specific process.

Most places seems to have recovered which as Lamb says is quite impressive. Only a handful places seem to be still down.

Sjoumd Crowdstrike compensate and save some face? It would set an interesting precedent (although I can't see it happening)...

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/business/malaysia-asks-microsoft-crowdstrike-consider-covering-losses-global-outage-4501666

• Advertisement

Surely they'd have to offer something. My son's company lost a day's work on Friday as they couldn't access the VPN they use, him and his coworkers will get paid I can't see his company being happy about paying staff for twiddling their thumbs, these well qualified guys are on strong bobs, we aren't talking call centre minimum wage here. If I was CEO I'd be making strong enquiries about getting money from crowdstrike, eff that for a caper.

Does insurance not get involved here with claims ?

I assume the T&Cs of the software include some form of indemnity but if no compensation is offered it will leave a sour taste in customers mouths. The company need to decide what to do fairly quickly

But how can they offer compensation out of their own pocket anyhow, it would break them

Business doesn't have a conscience like that anyhow , they will simply not pay and continue on imo

Unless it's determined it's in their interest to pay and they're capable of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭SVI40

Ask your Legal and Risk Department. It's what they are there for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

It seems they did offer something … to their partners for all the extra work they had to do … a lousy $10 gift card … that didn't work in some cases! 👀

https://techcrunch.com/2024/07/24/crowdstrike-offers-a-10-apology-gift-card-to-say-sorry-for-outage/

I worked for a company once where at the Christmas party in lieu of a Christmas bonus they gave everyone a 50 euro Ryanair voucher. Its not much but its something. My friend decided around the 5th of January to book flights for him and his girlfriend to go away for Valentines Day and discovered the voucher had expired on December 31st.

Ooops.

Looks like Crowdstrike is getting sued by its shareholders who feel they were defrauded given the company's claim that their software was "validated, tested and certified"…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As usual the only winners will be the lawyers.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Not just their shareholders likely to sue … Delta seem to be limbering up:

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/31/business/delta-meltdown-costs/index.html

Delta has yet to file a lawsuit against either CrowdStrike or Microsoft, but a person familiar with its actions confirmed to CNN on Tuesday that it had hired the law firm of high-profile attorney David Boies to pursue compensation from the two companies. Microsoft did not respond to a request for comment on Wednesday. 

Advertisement