Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

So when people continue to refuse paying their TV licence as a form of protest the government will just top up the shortfall ?

So why would anyone pay their TV licence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This is why I'd be surprised if they kept the current licence fee system collected by An Post, even if they're going with some form of 'mandatory' charge…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Tow

I wonder how much it costs to run the 'Advertising Department' versus the amount of money it brings in?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

If they don’t have your name and you don’t answer the door to an inspector (which you are under no obligation to) then there is nothing they can do about a licence not being registered at your address AFAIK. I wouldn’t even send the ‘householder’ addressed letters back return to sender. Straight into the bin.

I don’t see their powers to investigate of compel people to get a licence changing in the new legislation. It will still be based around having ‘a television capable of receiving a signal’ which was fine in the 60’s but with so many more options these days, it is completely antiquated.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I assume the top up is to retain the level of the licence fee not to help those not paying (like me :) )

If the new laws given to An Post are to believed then we will have a 100% collection rate.

that would be 288m with around 40 going to CnaM's sound and vision and another 10 going to An Post (prob more because to implement these new super powers An Post will need more money).

RTÉ would ONLY have 238m plus JUST 150m in ad revenue / commercial sales

That's ONLY JUST 388m a year.

The top up then will bring by ONLY 22m giving RTÉ JUST 400m per year.

RTÉ will ONLY JUST be able to provide us with the service we are used to.

Also we are paying (if we pay the tv licence) 4 times: -

1. Licence Fee
    2. Tax to the Social Protection Department to pay for the free ones
    3. The Top up via Tax
    4. Via the products we buy from advertising / any public service announcement on RTÉ

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Put her in the Aras… then we'd know where she is

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

that sounds the same as always…instead of saying its a bail-out for rte its a top-up…what a load of shite 💩

should be in mountjoy…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

I had time for Suin Ni R, as chair. I felt she had begun asking questions and brought most of this to light, she was possibly too slow to make it public but in fairness she brought much of this out into the open. However, she seems to forget the good work she did to get this into the public domain and falls back on the supposed issue of the licence fee.

She and Prof Brian MacCraith can, with the help of Dee and Moya, remain Deeply Dissappointed.

Also she says "TG4 is directly funded by the exchequer annually, meaning long-term planning by the Irish-language station is impossible, and there is no certainty about the level of funding, she said."

Wouldn't that be the **** same for RTÉ if it were funded by the Exchequer, now they want to know 5 years in advance as to what they will get.

https://www.irishtimes.com/media/2024/07/20/keeping-rte-licence-fee-would-be-deeply-disappointing-ni-raghallaigh/

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I assume she told them how many licence fee payees were used to pay her salary and benefits while working and now towards her pension and lump sum. That’s right. Didn’t think so.

Just to mention that the Chair is not a full time position and that they get about €30k a year, while the other board members get €15k per year excluding the DG who has a salary with RTÉ.

However to me it is a never ending story of asking for more money.

The Norwegian government increased the budget for their public service broadcaster to €501m (ads are not carried) but the broadcaster is still trying to make cuts.

https://www.publicmediaalliance.org/nrk-budget-cuts-sees-downsizing-tough-priorities/

Ireland in a few years time: -

RTÉ's Director-General said the state budget confirmed the importance of a strong publicly funded public broadcaster and recognised that 2026 would be an “exceptional year”.

However, for 2026 RTÉ will nonetheless “receive a tight financial framework, which, together with abnormally high price and cost growth, means tough priorities,” the public broadcaster said. Irish Times reported that the increased wage and price growth in society, along with an increased employer’s tax, will mean that NRK will have a shortfall of more than €25 million in 2023.

“It has been challenging to save more than 25 million in next year’s budget. All reductions are made with a view to how we can best protect our important mission, audience use and RTÉ's ​​reputation,” The DG said.

There seem to be no wherewithal to stay within budget or to produce low budget content, while at the same time blaming the licence fee for RTÉ current problems.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Money grabbing cnuts

Fresh clampdown on TV licence fee dodgers in new funding plan for RTÉ - Indo

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

probably want to know that so they can plan the pish-ups better and how much to give to the "talent" so the BBC doesnt steal them away! have they(rte)never heard of budgets or even…god forbid…saving money? its just going to be the same ol shite again…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

According to this the licence fee has only got a temporary stay of execution and will be phased out within five years in favour of full exchequer funding. Is this what other media coverage is saying?

I pretty much guessed this.

It will be interesting to see how much they get in total. Is it going to be capped at 255m a year?

______

Yesterday

It's a strange move politically though. If you'ver determined the licence fee has to go eventually why not do it right away, settle the issue, get it off the political agenda rather than have it hanging over the next government, which is looking increasingly likely to be FFG again in some form…

Because you don't want to deal with the elephant in the room… the mismanagement of RTÉ.

This has moved from the scandal surrounding RTÉ's management to going back to how RTÉ is funded. I mean Dee Forbes could return to RTÉ tomorrow, heck give Moya Doherty they job of DG. It seems to me we should forget about their inability to do their jobs.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Oxo Moran

It's classic FF/FG. There's a scandal. We know who's responsible. They get rewarded and the public gets hammered.

No more quangos, no more golden circle, because the country was bankrupted. Set up Irish Water with plenty of contracts and jobs for the lads.

RTE scandal. All found out. Secure the licence, pledge more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I hear they are going to ramp up the surveillance and enforcement of TV licences. They will be getting real tough on fines and convictions.

Property owners will be liable. How's that going to work? Professional landlord, investment funds.. they will add it onto the rent.

This would be a very strange move. The TV licence is much like a bill, you pay it not your landlord, its not like the property tax. Were is the legislation for this?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

At the moment hotels and commercial operators here are charged a €160 licence no matter how many TVs they have on the premises, they want to move to the UK model where the first 15 TVs would come in at €160 and each additional 5 TVs would be €160.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/business-and-organisations/hotels-hostels-mobile-units-and-campsites-aud13

• Advertisement

I FoI'd An Post a few years ago to find out the number of commerical providers paying their licence fee and the numbers that have been taken to court for failure to pay, and the number that have been find and the numbers that have had reminder letters sent to them. Happy to let you get guess what they came back with.

The idea of adding businesses to the licence fee not so long ago was to increase the amount going to the national broadcaster. This was never reviewed.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Claire McNamara and Kate Varley sharing the report from Paris on the 6-1 news. No reason for having both of them. The junket has begun in earnest

An now leave poor RTÉ alone, they've a whole month in Paris, hard work.

Oh look July 29th see 1pm, 6.1 and 9 news go on the bus mans holiday.

Good Morning also : -

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Shan Doras

I know the concept of the TV licence is very outdated in 2024 but the Brits STILL to this day have the option of a Black and white TV licence, it's also about 100£ cheaper than a colour TV licence, which interestingly shows that it was once a progressive tax in that those who could afford to buy/rent a coloured set payed a higher licence more then the person who could only afford a b&w one. Anyway, we scraped the b&W licence in the late 90s iIrc, it's amazing that the Brits have kept it on the books, essentially after the 2012 Analogue switch off

• Registered Users Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Sometimes nice to keep odd quirks going for no reason.

Amazing reports tonight about this 725 million euro bailout for RTE in the next 3 years.

I suspect this will get buried in the RTE obsession with American politics and they've good reason to distract the public at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Claire Byrne gone on holidays for 5 or 6 weeks. On 280 grand.

And they expect the public to swallow this bailout?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Wow…

"A proposal for RTÉ to get public funding of €725 million over the next three years is to go to Cabinet tomorrow."

This is on the level of the new Children's hospital funding!!! almost 1 billion Euro for what!!

We could build a full second hospital even at the current cost in another 9 years!!

"The three coalition party leaders met tonight to sign off on the proposals.

The TV licence fee will remain at its current rate of €160 per year.

An Post will retain the contract to collect the charge.

However, An Post will be given €6m in funding over three years to improve collection rates by updating technology and databases."

Is this 6M extra or what do they normally get? Another 6M to quash the protest from ordinary people.

Seriously thinking or ditching my lovely OLED TV (Black Friday deal, and using 99% for streaming/Bluray) and going to a projector or some other not terrestrial receiving monitor of some sort??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Laughable package for Rte and a nice slap on the back for a job well done. Waste money and create accounts outside the jurisdiction, get caught and you get €725m funding plus advertising plus licence fee.

No conditions and all signed off just before the Dáil summer holidays so it will be old news in a few months.

Pay increases all around for the usual suspects just in case a UK company should grab them. Sure isn't Tubs wanted everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭CH3OH

There has to be a typo in that amount €725 million ???

Surely it should be €275

Which is still Crazy money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Cyclonius

You could also have a look at some digital signage and professional displays. I got a Sony FW-55BZ40H for €650-700, and it has all the normal TV features (runs Android TV, has all of the normal Android TV options, etc.), with the sole exception (that I can see) of a TV tuner. No TV tuner, no means of picking up public service broadcasting, and no TV licence needed. Just send in your declaration to An Post, and the licence part of the problem is solved.

Advertisement