Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Peak Events notification

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,612 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Care to share the workings? Even if you had to use 30% at day rates and only 70% at night, surely the 5c Pinergy deal would work out far cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Spreadsheet was probably a bit too fancy, but as follows:
    Weekly use of

Flogas rate of 12c night 25c day, vs Pinergy 5c "night" and 37c day.
    Assuming each night rate unit on both is a saving of 7c on pinergy, and each night on flogas but day on pinergy is saving 25c, and each day on both (minimal) saves 12c on flogas. Each exported unit earns me 3c more on pinergy.

Looking at summer use, and the smart meter HDF, I have the following for unchanged based on 2 weeks use so far (the file has lost the time slot before the 12th of June so I can't categorise the times). (Also… damn those electric showers costing 1.30 on the day rate!)

Having looked at the times and what the electricity was used for, I can't move enough of the 35% of my overall use that occurs during the flogas night but pinergy day. (PS: Sorry if the picture comes up massive)

I'm a bit tired, maybe that explains why I can't make sense of those figures?

I presume you have a 12kVA connection like most people, so you can draw a max of about 15kW continuously? With a night rate of 12c on Flogas, it doesn't really make sense to export it as your losses would eat most of your profit. But with the 5c night rage of Pinergy, it makes a lot of sense to draw 45kWh every single night of the year, provided you have a big enough battery, which I believe you do. Did you take that into account? I believe you don't heat your home or your water with electricity but with oil? How many miles do you drive per year total of all your EVs?

How many kWh per year do you use yourself, how many kWh per year do you produce in PV? What percentage of the units you use yourself can not be bought in a 3 hour time slot?

Just a very simple sum, not taking into account any differences in standing charges or even feed in tariff / solar PV. Would show that if you use 10MWh per year

Flogas

Pinergy

day rate

night rate

percentage night

cost day rate

cost night rate

cash

total cost

You break even if you can manage 100% of your electricity use on night rate with Flogas and only 75% with Pinergy, at both €1200 per year in variable costs

BUT BUT BUT, this 10MWh leaves 6.4MWh of your daily grid import allowance that you can export, for which you make almost nothing with Flogas, but over €1000 with Pinergy. I presume you forgot to take this into account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The problem is, there isnt enough time to import anything extra. I'm looking at my smart meter data and even now in the summer every night since it's installed has had 2-3 hours at least of 12-15kW (we get varying voltages here, sometimes 12kW at 209v is the max). If I'm already doing that, I have no headroom to import additional energy and get paid for it.
    The money is there to be made. I see it and have done the sums. I saw your bill/credit, I know it.

Maybe if I got a 16kva upgrade or something. But I'm literally set up in such a way that there's 60+ amps being drawn for hours most nights.

Take this week as representative for instance. Monday I was in Clonmel, model 3 the only one to make that trip comfortably. So, took the 3, arrived back with around 30%. Plugged in and charged overnight for about 6 hours to full. Tuesday I'm up in Dublin. Returned with 22%. Plugged in and charged overnight for about 6.5-7 hours to full. Wednesday (today) the mrs has to go to an appointment in meath. Normally she drives the Ora but takes the tesla if the ora has not enough range. Thursday I'm in the office and the mrs has kids trip duties. So I'll take the Ora to work and she'll take the Tesla, more room for stuff in the boot.

That's 1 EV charging for 6+ hours Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday night and 2 on Thursday night. I havent even mentioned my usual weekend errands or topped up the leaf for doing local trips etc. I think this may be an urban rural divide or something. Anytime I need to go anywhere its a 20-30km round trip (Leaf!).

If I'm already drawing 7kW (or 10kW) to charge the leaf and the balance going to top up the house battery and cover appliances at night, how do I charge everything in 3 hours and also bring in the electricity to make a profit? I feel like I need more POOWAAAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭irishchris

Received email there to confirm action from esb networks. Now just few more of these events to get another voucher 😃

Yes if you do a very high mileage between the EVs, the 3 hour slot simply isn't enough. For a while I thought your miles had died down somewhat, but looks like you're back in high mile territory?

A simple sum is that if you can only use one car charger every night for 3 hours, you will only get 20kWh into the cars per night, which at say 16kWh / 100km will only give a total annual mileage of a bit over 45k km per year (or the average of about 3 cars in Ireland). If you do say well over 60k km per year in total excluding any charging not done at home (do you really?) then the 3 hour slot simply isn't enough, even with the supercheap pinergy rate

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How do people know when they've got a voucher, email? Been doing these for a year and didn't get one, though they are so sparse, I only just did my 3rd and 4th recently.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The gift cards come every so often.

Just got an email saying that going forward it will be from Prezzee instead of one4all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

I've registered for the ESB Peak Events notification and got a SMS notification that there is a "Flex Event - Turn Down" event tonight from 5-7pm. It doesn't specify how I respond to this event. I have my MPRN registered to my ESBN account.

Anybody any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

You literally don't have to do anything but to do your bit perhaps avoid using heavy load items like the oven during the two hours.

An email will be sent in the next couple of days asking you if you managed to participate. It's a yes no type and that's it. Just hit submit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭JayBee66

We signed up to ESB Peak Events a few years ago. However, as we live off the battery pretty much all the time, the ESB must assume the house is empty and never increases or decreases usage when required. Consequently, we haven't received a sausage from them.

Do you fill out the survey that's emailed the next day?, are you getting the texts? Did you sign up for the new programme

There is no correlation with individual meter data and the pilot. The first one, not all got gift cards, but afterwards everyone did.

But you have to fill out the survey, 3 surveys, €15

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The survey that just says did you act? I've filled out loads of those saying yes and got nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭JayBee66

We get texts and emails. Always fill out the surveys. Nothing in return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Signed up early, had one in 2022 and 3 in 2023. Hoping i get another this year... Guess im not in the placebo group (sorry!)

Winning lately, got a negative leccy bill yesterday but thats common this time of year

Same here, also got 4 * €30 in the early days but nothing since

My total electricity bill for the year is now so much negative, that it pays for my gas bill too 😁

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Just got a reward notification, the new Prezee version

• Advertisement

I've got similar, that is coming but nothing from prezee yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

IMPORTANT! If you are NOT getting regular rewards - have you checked your ESB account lately? I noticed today that to earn a reward there is a requirement to have the MPRN registered. i KNOW I had mine previously - but today I checked and it wasnt there. I wonder does it get dropped off when you switch suppliers? Maybe thats why I had to re-register… anyways worth a check folks! https://myaccount.esbnetworks.ie/

check your mrpn link here: myaccount.esbnetworks.ie

They're cheaping out 😂

It's always been 15?

5er per event.. only got €5 this time, though. Last payout was in Feb for me.

I suppose yesterday's doesn't count

I got 4 * €30 before. All One4All vouchers. Was probably one of the very first to sign up though, not sure if that makes a difference?

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ditto. Got nothing over the last 3-4 turn down events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭DC999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭batistuta9

that was the payout to end of June. 2 events in June, unless the 2nd was only recorded in July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭rgfuller

I received a €20 prezzee yesterday, which is my first reward since the pilot one4all program closed last October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭batistuta9

posted this on the bargain alerts thread but might be of interest to some here too.

esbn site has been updated, a lot more useful now with the way you can view your data. hour/day, week, month, year. split by day/night/peak. can download different versions of hdf now too

about time but it looks impressive on first viewing

Advertisement