Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭flatty

Why should the two child cap be scrapped?

I think it is perfectly reasonable in an overpopulated world where many higher rate tax payers who do not qualify for allowance anyway cannot afford more than two children.

The money would be far better spent on sure start type schemes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The hard left don't care about anything but lining their own pockets and posturing. Owen Jones is continuing this tradition by pretending to care about Palestinian lives so he can demonise anyone he dislikes, which would be almost everyone.

British politics is about obtaining and wielding power. The Labour left are unfit to wield it, as has been shown time and time again.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Labour now following in the footsteps of the Tories by running away from scrutiny. It is gas all the same when the very same people used to condemn the Tories for not putting anyone forward after a tricky vote

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Starmers first PMQ's as PM today, will be interesting to see the attack line from the Tories, I believe a Reform MP (not sure which one) will be asking a question which is almost guaranteed to be about immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

If it's not Farage it will be Tice. Gaurenteed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its gonna be fun to watch the Tories attack a 3 week old government on a load of problems that they are to blame for.

Suddenly they will notice that non EU immigration has been going up all this time and that the NHS is fuked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Would they be that gullible though? Seems like that tactic would simply lay up easy sound bites and viral clips for Labour and Starmer to bat away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Banning puberty blockers for children is a bad thing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

People here have a sad tendency to mis-remember things. Remember when Sunak was successfully protrayed as a liberal, pro-EU centrist?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Because childhood poverty is, in fact, a bad thing and wholly counterproductive.

The blunt 2-child cap is almost certainly doomed, the question is more how exactly they will approach it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Be interesting to see how long Truss will continue to be relevant enough for the likes of Fox News to give her airtime

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Of course Liz Truss is the expert in not being up to the job. She did not even outlast a lettuce in the job, and now has the record of the shortest term as UK PM ever.

She should find a rock large enough to hide under.

I disagree. She is not remotely relevant. 99% of Americans haven't heard of her and the rest think of her as the lettuce woman. Fox News are only giving her air time because of her Groucho Marx approach to principles and the fact that Amercians think an English accent conveys lucidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,827 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Fox are relying on the majority of their viewership not having a clue who Truss is, but being impressed by the caption of "Former UK Prime Minister"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, given the spectacular levels of unpopularity the Tories "enjoyed" I'd say even the goldfish among the population might be slow to suddenly buy into any narrative by the Tories that tries to blame Labour this soon into its government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭yagan

Its like fox news core viewer doesn't use the internet, or if they do it's for accessing their FB page for rage topups.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Cass is an interim report I'd suggest good practice would be to wait for the full report (not even starting until the end of this year) before announcing you'll make a ban permanent, otherwise what was the point of asking for a report?

Edit: pointed out further down that this is not accurate, and that the report suggested clinical trials that will start in December.

To that I would say I think it's still a valid point that announcing a ban is permanent before a recommended trial is completed seems inappropriate.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,827 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The US is incredibly insular when it comes to news and politics - and you'd have to imagine the typical Fox News viewer even more so.

I can't imagine many of them are perusing British news outlets in their spare time!

I can't see them being too impressed beyond finding the accent to be a novelty.

I think that Labour will have the armour of novelty for a good while given what we just escaped. It is baffling that one of the men behind the curtain hasn't issued some kind of "Don't mention the war" memorandum. Pretty much every problem we have here is down to the Conservative party. One would think that they'd be better off being quiet for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

🤣

Lettuce Liz saying that Harris is not up to the job is genuinely hilarious. The British PM who, after just a few weeks, was told to fuck off…

…by her own party.

• Advertisement

I daresay the average Fox Viewer would have a view of "the UK" approximate to those conflicting, peddled narratives that it is either a beautiful sovereign baby in its post-Brexit lifecycle, or currently disintegrating under the weight of Wokery & Islamist influence (see the ever-constant bullshít Mayor Khan is about to introduce "Sharia Law"). Truss, going by her previous sentiments, is probably happen to stir the pot of the latter I'd wager & will have more than enough ears to listen via Fox News. And if Fox grow tired of her, Newsmax might be happy to take her in off the street.

Who'd write it though? Said it before but seems like the talent pool front and back of shop has been so denuded at the Tories, there's probably nobody with enough nous to make that decision. Or maybe they're just suddenly emboldened by the expectation that the theatre of Westminister means they have a "role" to play, common sense be damned.

Harry Cole wrote a biography of her after she won the leadership. After a few weeks, they were flogging it at 80% off.

I may be being naive but I assume that there must exist somewhere a person with the role of strategist. Again, it's an assumption but one would think that there'd be people like the Crosby Textor Group who would advise with this sort of thing.

I may be being naive but I assume that there must exist somewhere a person with the role of strategist. Again, it's an assumption but one would think that there'd be people like the Crosby Textor Group who would advise with this sort of thing.

My presumption is that while yes there are more than likely strategists, the chaos of the last ~12 months meant the competent or canny left the building & those left fought like demons to get to the top of a suddenly much-reduced hilltop. I very much doubt those calling the shots are the best & brightest the Tories could hope to nab; and say what you will about the likes of Cummings - and we should 'cos he's a slimy rotten c*** with bloodied hands - he was a crafty, cynical operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Here is my local MP campaigning during the election and deriding the 2-child cap and demanding the Scottish govt uses the block grant to mitigate the reserved policy in Scotland… he gets re-elected and last night votes against scrapping the 2-child cap.

It's not an interim report. They published an interim report 2 years ago, but the one published this year is the final, full report.

I assume you are conflating it with the clinical trials that the report suggested? (I'm not sure otherwise what report you are referring to).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Appreciate the correction, I am indeed conflating the two. If the report suggested trials then perhaps those trials should be done before announcing that the ban is permanent.

Open to correction (again :pac:) but I don't think Cass recommended a ban either.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They voted against the SNP looking to scrap it.

Any government is going to vote against an opposition proposal. It's politics.

Labour will look to do something, but they will want the kudos for it since they have to find the money to fund it, unlike the SNP.

I disagree with them removing the whip. Hammer to crack a nut. With such a big majority it is to be expected that some will rebel. Plenty of sanctions can be done behind the scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It would give rise to an budgetary spend. I think Rachel Reeves said £1.2 bn would have to be found to pay it. A lot of petty point scoring, knowing that it will almost certainly fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Those Labour MP's should know full well that the SNP were just posturing. Doing nothing for their constituency by falling for this shte.

• Advertisement

It recommended their use was stopped outside of clinical trials I believe. The "ban" does not cover clinical trials which will now be set up.

The use of the word "permanent" is not really legislative and not something a parliament can do anyway. It is a change in guidelines/law so that they can not be prescribed outside of clinical trials. Depending on the result of those trials the guidelines/laws will be updated (or not). One of the main areas of contention as I understand it is that it will also ban use of the medicines in the UK that are prescribed abroad. Some would consider this over-reach I guess, but when it comes to minor healthcare I think it is reasonable - there is already a large enough industry of online doctors prescribing them and if there are concerns about their safety this should not be allowed. The whole area is obviously fraught, but it very much seems to be simply implementing the report's suggestions. Whether you agree with the report is another and different argument.

Advertisement