Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Of course they are a massive burden on the taxpayer. But attacking them and burning facilities isn't bringing down that cost.

The only way the cost will be brought down is by processing them and kicking out the ineligible ones more quickly. All that violent protestors and grifters do is take resources that could potentially be put towards speeding up that process.

I would prefer to see large reception centres and an army of people processing the applications. If gobsh1tes keep attacking locations, then all that will happen is that individual apartments will be purchased spread around the country and they will all be given one. And their processing will inevitably take longer.

You are entitled to advocate and agitate for individual own-door accommodation for the AS if you like. I won't support you on that.

If you don't like them being put into converted warehouses, and you don't like them being put into hotels, then you are eventually manipulating it so that that is the only option. Some people are being sneaky about their motivations, but logic shows their actual intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont understand the criticism, paying quests do all kings of things , if a hotel is out of circulation there is an opportunity cost to other local businesses, I cant tell if this is a tongue in cheek post or not

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

But govt policy is to stall, delay, keep the NGOs happy (as who knows when the govt minister may need a cushy number when he/she loses their seat), refuse to consult with the irish people and line the pockets of hotel owners and others who benefit from what is actually happening.

Then declare an amnesty for 17000 illegal immigrants. Then rents get driven up because demand far outstrips supply and tell me, just how many TDs are landlords ......

Rinse and repeat. There is no controls in place and the govt have no plans to put any in because well ......money money money.

Or better still, what links have hotel owners with contracts with DOI are mates/business partners with govt ministers??

All our leading political parties, FF, FG, SF, Greens, SD and Labour all sing off the same hymn sheet here. So people feel they have no other option other then protest violently and light fires because they simply aren't being respected or listened to.

Even after crown paints was torched what, 5 times last week, Roderic still insists on pushing 500 illegal immigrant men there. And in a few years time it will be a lot more then 500 there.

Well we could put them on a flight back to wherever they come from but that doesn't line the pockets of hotel owners or other suppliers to the big scam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Tourmaline24

I find posts like yours really cruel. The argument seems to be "[x place] has its troubles, so it's okay to bring in thousands of mostly men from dysfunctional cultures with nothing to do all day, and allocate huge resources to them while enriching a small number of connected people." We aren't allowed anecdotes here, but I have many to illustrate how it harms local people's wellbeing and safety as well as their livelihoods. I don't know why people like you have such contempt for a place like Drogheda which has many decent people trying against the odds to make it a better place. The loss of the D hotel was a massive blow to the town's economy from which it may never recover; it has impacted not just tourism in the area but the town's ability to host events, whether family, corporate or arts. A lot of public funding has been invested in developing and promoting Ireland's Ancient East, and it's been a huge slap in the face for people who have worked on that.

I feel a sense of hopelessness when I read posts from people with such a self-hating attitude to their own community and culture while endlessly prioritising people from everywhere else and presenting them as vulnerable and worthy of help even when presented with facts that point otherwise. I know what used to be the Left in Ireland is unrecognisable, Sinn Fein have abandoned any pretence of nationalism and NGOs have become their own powerful vested interests, sucking up public funds while dominating the airwaves. The values I grew up with like civic pride in your neighbourhood and country, have become something to be scoffed at and reframed as backward and unenlightened. Wanting to preserve the best of what you grew up with, the social cohesion and shared values is seen as "far right"

I have never felt such a disconnect between this government and ordinary people and their interests. Most people I know fear speaking up because the kind of people who dominate this discussion will actively try to ruin your life, snitch on you to your employer, publicly shame you. I've seen it. They are the new clergy. And yes, as a precious poster said, they seem to hate the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭spillit67

It depends. This comes back to the question of how many we should accommodate. In the scenario of an “emergency” though, what it seems of limited value to build capacity for the kind of numbers we have been getting.

What the ultimate cost to the State will be ultimately will take years to figure out and will have a degree of subjectivity involved. Of course the best argument against hotels comes down to the planning one- and that so many ancillary businesses are impacted by non tourist use.

And what effect would burning the factory have on those 500? Would they evaporate into space? Will they think "Oh, no, my life's dream of being accommodated in a paint factory has been taken from me and now that they are going to put me into my own apartment instead, I think I'll just go back to Dirkastan instead"

The only thing that will stem the flow of chancers is if they are processed quickly and deported quickly. The logistics of doing that will not be helped by scattering them in tiny groups all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Is this a serious post or a wind up to get a reaction?

Our capability is measured by money, not by actual physical resources such as housing etc.

• Advertisement

Well maybe the people who process them just didn't think of that. You should write a letter to the minister outlining your plan. When he has it implemented - shouldn't take him more than a week, he can then communicate the steps to all the other countries that also didn't realise the exceedingly simple solution to the problem.

But the govt don't want to process them quickly. Do you not get that?

They want to shoehorn these people into irish society for financial gain of themselves and their friends. And the people who pay the most for this will be Irish people. In our own country.

The violence and fires are a direct consequence of the govt working against their own people.

Well I guess it is all out own fault for electing such people into power. Members of the illuminati or New World Order or whatever they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭giseva

Sure why was the hotel there in the first place?

The point is there's places that have very little in them as is, and a large hotel being taken away from normal use benefits the hotel owner and everyone else who has a stake in this new economy, but does f@#k all for the locals.

It also breeds further resentment and prejudice and gives a voice to loons on both the far right and left.

I would also like to see purpose built accomodation, for the purpose of detention. Yes it may cost, but surely it's a better use of tax payers money than the current game of pass the parcel going on. It may also serve as a deterrent to scammers thinking of coming to Ireland.

The dog on the street knows the majority aren't genuine, and even if every single asylum seeker coming to Ireland was, so what? Help, where practical. Helping the planet isn't sustainable.

FF FG Green, Labour, SD, Sinn Fein

Minimum Two of these will be in govt after next election.

Who do we vote for, to change things up.

We are the turkeys and the only option on our voting slip is xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It's how 'progressive' liberals carry on, mock their own mock traditions mock Christianity etc etc with no awareness of how fake and boring they sound

The paint factory, when renovated, would have been, for all intents and purposes, purpose built accommodation. You are kidding yourself if the gurriers attacking the door of a small building in Drogheda would also not be attacking a construction site up the road where a holding centre with accommodation for 500 people was being built.

If people want to complain and protest, they can do so. If they want to dress it up as faux concern for the local tourist industry in Drogheda then they leave themselves fairly open. If they want to pretend they are concerned for local hoteliers who can't host private events, then they should realise that maybe they shouldn't complain about the same hoteliers getting money for hosting AS instead. Which is it - are you concerned for his livelihood, or do you begrudge him a livelihood?

We need more patriots. I've seen the footage of those brave men in their tracksuits and balaclavas really teach those doors a lesson with swift kicks. Celtic or Liverpool jersey optional, but the Irish flag is not. All Gaeilgeoirs versed in Irish history and mythology.

I often think, when I see such brave patriots, how lucky we would be if they joined our defence forces or Gardai, or even became nurses or teachers to pass on knowledge to the next generation. But we cannot be selfish - those people have a much greater duty to global society. We cannot ask them to pause their cancer research or work on ground breaking technological advancements. To do so might be Ireland's short term gain, but would be a long term loss for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Can you give us your definition of “our own “ please?

Do I have a problem with a hotelier making money? No, I don't. I have a problem with how that money is made.

Protest? Are you for real?

Regarding the site in Coolock, I'd imagine there'd have been issue taken by some in the community if it was a full on, secure detention centre being placed there absolutely, but perhaps far less than the issue taken with the current state of affairs.

A secure detention centre wasn't the proposal. There was none. It was and still is, this IPA centre is happening, deal with it.

• Advertisement

You would need to elaborate on what you understanding of "secure detention centre" means to you. Because under international Human Right's law - which Ireland is signed up to - we cannot just arbitrarily lock up and detain each and every AS any more than the State could arbitrarily lock up and detain random citizens. That's not something that can be changed without leaving those agreements in their entirety.

It's not "faux concern". I don't care about the owners of the D hotel who will pocket €13m a year of taxpayers' money. It's the knock-on effects, the loss of footfall for the shopping centre next door and other businesses, as noted in a recent report which estimated the direct loss at €6m.

The asylum seekers (who we know are not genuine, let's be honest) don't contribute to the local economy. They will consume massive resources and give very little back to a town which already cannot provide enough jobs, accommodation and services for its people. Again, I find the bad faith assumptions hard to take. What's "faux" about not wanting your home to become unrecognisable to you while you see your tax money being spent on an endless influx of strangers from every corner of the globe? It is the reaction of posters like you which is "faux" and contrary to normal anthropological behaviour of in-group preference and prioritising one's own family and community and country.

That's fine. You don't want them in your town regardless. I have no problem with you having your opinion or similar ones. I've already stated that. The difference between you and other posters is that you are not trying to pretend that it is because of the "local tourist economy". They are the ones bringing faux concerns.

Pretty sure this has been asked before, but do you think the thousands of AS, genuine or otherwise, already here and those making their way here, are going to make strides in the area of cancer research or ground breaking technological developments?

Rail roading AS into areas with their own issues already only gives said scum a voice. I feel I'm on a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

This is the best post I've seen on this thread in quite a while and sums up the situation as it is now.

Each day we seem to be spiralling into more dysfunction and small protests in North Dublin are getting broadcast internationally making Ireland look "Racist" or "Violent" and allowing opportunists like Tommy Robinson to jump in and fill the voids our out of touch left wing politicians are leaving.

I'd ignore the Barstool posts you see on here, don't give it oxygen.

Oh, if only we had a government who could draught such emergency legislation in the interest of our country.

I think you agree that there's a major issue with the numbers coming in, and what's being done with them. What's your view on the best course of action for this country?

It's both. The local economy has been undeniably hurt and the local community suffers a strain on services, healthcare and housing as well as a lessening of their safety and wellbeing. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. Drogheda and its surrounding areas have had a longer history of this than most, with Mosney holiday camp being converted to direct provision in 1999, generating vast wealth for its owners while draining huge resources from nearby communities.

I won't engage with you any more as I think you're trying to goad and provoke.

The answer to your first sentence is already in the post you quoted - Ireland is already signed up to International Human Rights Law which would prevent an arbitrary blanket detaining of all AS.

I already said my view - they need to be processed as quickly as possible. That likely means proper reception centres being set up and an army of pen-pushers processing the applications and then deporting the failed ones as soon as possible. There is no problem with setting up reception centres per se, you just can't arbitrarily lock people up 24/7 in them.

Forever? As in, should this processing continue indefinitely? Is there a number where Ireland says, thanks but that's enough now?

Because nothing you've suggested stems the flow in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Deport them to where? Many have no documentation I'm told.

Advertisement