Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Whenever someone says "apparently" it usually means the source is somewhere in the ether.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭briany

In what ways would it 'permeate life'? You allow that right wing mouthpieces on TV can be turned off, so you must allow that the same can be done for left wing ones or in the centre. Unless Whoopi Goldberg and the girls barge into their homes to literally turn their lives into The View, or somebody is forcing them to read Ben Shapiro tweets, this anger or annoyance of some white males may be more self-generated than you think.

And it would be interesting to ask these hypothetical white male voters - as much as they might be worried about the election of Harris potentially turning their lives into a 24/7 liberal arts college diversity jamboree, the question remains if they're more bothered by that than what another Trump presidency brings - ie the guy who tweeted out a word cloud about him with 'REVENGE' in the middle of it. The guy who not only lied about the 2020 election, but directed his followers to the Capitol to get it overturned. What presidency has more of a potential to permeate their life?

If these guys are more worried about a Harris presidency, where a Trump presidency is very much a known quantity and Harris has barely had time to give detail of policy, then that that says that it's really these men who are obsessed with identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Shoog

This is the biggest threat of a Trump second term, the funds would be cut off for Ukraine and Trump would declare it peace when after a few months the Russians bombed Ukraine into dust. This alone is reason to keep him out of the Whitehouse. A direct confronation between Russia and Nato would then become all but inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Doesn't matter imo. The tape would have been released in some fashion by now. I would be very confident it does not exist - Trump is too smart to be caught out in that way.

• Advertisement

I have to laugh whenever I see the phrase "Trump is to smart". Trump may have had a low cunning at some point in his life but he has reduced himself into a raving old man shouting at the clouds - and he has been on that path for at least a decade. Not smart at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

All depends on the makeup of the next U.S senate, if Trump wins but the Dems hold the house then any move to cut funding or pull out of NATO will need congress to approve to Trump won't have it all his own way..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

So the Dems are responsible for when other countries start wars, but the Republicans are not responsible when they themselves start wars which indirectly destabilised the entire geo-political order and led to a big spike in international conflicts?

The wars that Bush started in Iraq and Afghanistan fucked up the middle east for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,162 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Probably time to remind ourselves (again) that Trump was literally impeached for blackmailing Ukraine and spent 8 years performing public fellatio on Putin.

Or are we forgetting the time in Helsinki that he publicly backed Putin over his own intelligence services?

Or when he said he would recognise Crimea as been rightfully Russian?

Not so sure what Obama was supposed to do about it being honest, given there was no appetite in Europe or more importantly Ukraine to start a full scale war with Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Trump was also notorious for leering on the contestants in his beauty pageants, including underage contestants of his 'Miss Teen USA', where he would take great pleasure in barging into the changing rooms where there would be young naked women getting changed simply because they could not do anything to stop him because he owned the event.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kendalltaggart/teen-beauty-queens-say-trump-walked-in-on-them-changing

He's an absolute creep, a sex pest, who bragged about grabbing women by the pussy, a rapist, who has close connections with an international child trafficking ringleader

• Advertisement

If Trump is stupid, then what does that make Hillary Clinton, who managed to lose to him somehow in 2016, the old Republican party who've been subsumed by MAGA, or the Feds who've had their cases against him punted into the long grass?

Geniuses?

I would say that Trump is a deeply ignorant man, as well as being vindictive, petty and spiteful, but don't confuse that with stupidity. It's a mistake his opponents have been making for almost ten years, now.

I think it was in one of James Comeys books he describes Trump as having three motivations - spite, spite and spite.

Aside of course from hunger and horniness.

He is far from stupid. I am not saying he is smart either, but his energies are misdirected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I was all for Biden continuing, as I thought he was still their best chance of winning. Now I'm delighted he pulled out, as the reaction to Harris has been excellent.

Having their entire strategy as bashing Biden on his age has backfired spectacularly. It's wonderful to watch the republicans implosion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Redliketoast

Agreed to a degree. I still think the Stepford wives wont care though.

Also devils advocate, he never said he was against abortion. In fact he said the opposite. But the anti trump brigade just keep saying "but do you believe him". You cant just make stuff up! Its like the Project 2025 stuff. He said he doesnt support it. But anti trumpers keep saying "but do you believe him". So you can just make stuff up that you think he might do and spout "do you believe him". Might as well say he will take over Ireland if he gets elected. If he denies it we can say he is a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭thatsdaft

The best thing about last 4 years of Biden is how everything almost got back to normal again

Compared to what felt like 4 decades of Trump daftness before that

That's ignorance. If he's been able to not only stick around in politics but also gain total control of a mainstream political party and create a strong cult of personality, then I would say that there's more going on with him than flat stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭highpitcheric

Ok lets do this yet again.

The article I linked was proof of the existence of racial and gender based voting bias.

Which is what you deny exists. Even though its clear for all to see.

And when I refer to its existence, you take those views to be mine.

I doubt your sincerity. Ive some ideas as to why you have me repeat the point, but lets not go there now.

Ive linked a video which goes into why a traditional straight white male would make for Harris' best running mate.

Just as the presenter is discussing a fact of Americas political environment, I too was discussing a fact of Americas political environment.

Last time I checked the videos comments nobody was stupid enough to take the presenters reporting as his own personal preferences. Most normal people can do this - separate the messenger from the message, why can you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Like the Supreme Court justices he appointed who lied to get confirmed then set about dismantling Roe v Wade?

Anybody who believes similar lies from Trump is a duped fool.

What positive action has Trump ever done to defend women's reproductive rights?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You mean by sending loads of money and war machines to Ukraine? Or by sending more troops to the border countries? To be fair that is also something Biden has as a plus as he is the current Potus.

Republicans cant "stand up to Putin" without the President. You get that right?

• Advertisement

It's his party and those are the platforms they are standing on. He boasted about winning Roe vs Wade until he realised it was damaging him.

He is the man that will see widespread abortion bans brought in and will see much of Project 2025 implemented for no other reason than he is lazy and will hand off most policy to those who framed Project 2025.

It’s hard for republicans to standup to Putin while on their knees sucking his ****

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It wasn't proof. Nowhere in the article was there any such proof - that was the whole point of the article! It was a notion not based on any real foundation.

This is the conclusion of the article. I think readers of the thread can judge for themselves who is being sincere.

In short, the notion that Democrats must have a white man to dislodge Trump is based on not much other than fear. Democrats need a competent candidate who can turn out the base, not scare off moderate independents and disenchanted Democrats, and stand up to Trump. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/05/03/harris-challenges-best-way-challenge-trump/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Trump has never indicated he'll stand up to Russia. He's made it pretty clear that he'll just end support, his VP also opposes aid to Ukraine. On top of that, he's said Russia can invade any countries in NATO he views to not be spending enough on defence. So you'd have to be somewhat deluded to believe he'll be on Ukraine's side, the man was literally impeached for attempt to extort political favours off of Zelensky.

How would a direct confrontation happen as a result of the war stopping?

In the working class Americans mind, they are thinking "why are my tax dollars going to Ukraine?". They dont care if Ukraine losses. They dont care how much land Ukraine keeps or losses. I think we all need to stand up to Putin but I'm not American, nor someone in power.

IF Trump wins. He will likely negotiate a peace deal with the help of Orbán between Putin and Zelenskyy. My heart wants Russia to give back everything they took including Dombas. But they will likely keep the areas they already have. Ukraine wont be happy but it will be spun as a victory. The war will end so working class American's will think its a great thing.

Nothing will happen between Nato and Russia. Especially if Trump is there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

He will leave swathes of territory to Russia which will result in large scale genocide.…That's what will happen, he will abandon a nation to genocide. He is not a peacemaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I must admit when I heard the name Shapiro for the first time I thought it was the guy on YouTube and was going what the hell. Then realised who.

Been Jewish should not hinder it especially to show its Israels has done and not the Jewish people

• Registered Users Posts: 40,162 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This is a huge problem for the GOP. The non MAGA republicans support the ongoing aid for Ukraine and fully understand the dangers Putin represents.

The more moderate also fully understand that a nationwide abortion ban, a potential redefinition of what an embryo is and a ban on birth control will see them obliterated in down stream elections. More women vote than men.

The GOP have far more riding on this election than the Democrats, there is an absolute distinct possibility that the party could fracture if Harris was to pull off the win. You just have to look at the in fighting within the past number of years.

Maybe just maybe that is the real reason Jesus saved Trump from the bullet.

If Ukraine loses that average American will be dying on battlefields of Europe just like they did in WW1 and WW2

Easier to send money which they print out of thin air anyways than watch body bags return from fighting the latest batch of Nazis to have arisen in Russia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭highpitcheric

Dear god.

Of course it was proof. Democrat veterans were discussing the necessity for a white male.

That proves that people vote on racial and gender lines. If proof was needed of this most evident of basic facts of life.

Then I linked to a CNN political analyst who was alluding to the same political reality.

Then I linked to a youtube political channel which mentioned the same reality.

Then I gave a reference to the same reality in the popular series 'the wire'.

If you want I can link you to an Al Jazeera piece which mentions the African American vote galvanizing behind Harris, another reference to the plain as day reality which you cant understand.

Youre not for real.

Advertisement