Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Nothing stems the flow unless you want to say "no more asylum seekers ever again. No matter how genuine". And if, say, a famous Russian dissident escaped a prison there and made his way to Ireland, we would send him back, knowing he would be executed on the tarmac upon arrival. We either have a system for it or we don't. You can't have a system where "only genuine applicants are allowed to apply" because genuine or not can only be determined after the application is made.

Think of disability benefit. We have that for a reason. There are genuinely many people on that who need it and struggle on it. And then we have people in their early 20's on it who are on it for lactose intolerance (not wanting to put too much light on a fella that ended up killing himself). Loads more on it for questionable sore backs. One solution to cutting down on the chancers is to have better processing in place. Another is just to eliminate disability benefit for everyone. But if you do the latter, you make the genuinely disabled people's position even worse. So do you want to keep processing applications forever - or do you want to cut off all the genuine ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

What if it's both reasons amongst other reasons? What if the reasons are why they don't want the people there.

Where are you are going to deport them after the gurriers burn them out in the other model where you don't process them?

You see, technically, while going though the asylum process, they are allowed to stay here. It is not illegal for them to be here. Once they are denied, then their status becomes illegal. They could, at that stage, be charged under immigration laws and locked up. Some might suddenly remember where they came from when it is a choice between proper detention and going home.

Well if you have a reason, or multiple reasons, then just say that. There is no need to pretend it is another reason.

If the State wants to build a reception centre down the road and I suddenly become concerned that a particular type of snail might live in that field, it's probably safe to say that I just don't want those people to be near me rather than trying to pretend that I actually have a sudden mission in life to save the snail.

But processing ASAP just means they stay here and it frees up more places for the next 40k to arrive. We can't take more people.

What we need is to stop recognising those international laws. They will bring this country to it's knees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭giseva

So forever then. So we take on the world, or far more than we can or should.

Would that make us an IPC, International Protection Country?

What does that look like in 1, 2 or 300 years from now for Ireland?. A thriving nation, or a sewer for every countries unwanted and scammers to suck dry whatever resources are left?

Maybe the "Irish" will be seeking asylum themselves then wha!

So you're talking about Drogheda here?

1. Shutting down biggest hotel

2. Economic damage from said hotel

3. Tourism damaged

4. The town already feeling less safe before this

5. Schools are full

6. medical services under pressure

There's a million reasons you can link but they mostly fall under economics and social issues.

You could list not wanting to end up with the issues Denmark, Scandinavia, Germany, UK, France etc are experiencing as a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

"The asylum seekers (who we know are not genuine, let's be honest)"

"I find the bad faith assumptions hard to take"

Absolutely remarkable.

Is it not illegal to enter this country without documentation? Laws, rules, regulations, processes etc only work when people are working in good faith, as you pointed out regarding those scamming disability in this country.

Around we go.

I don't have a concrete answer or solution, but I'm pretty sure the continuous intake of AS into this country which it clearly cannot handle, and actually advertising Ireland to them in the first place, is definitely not the answer.

Well your last sentence is a "Nigel Farage" "Leave the ECHR" type of rhetoric.

Many of their own citizens - including an awful lot from Northern Ireland during the troubles (The case of the Hooded Men for example) had to resort to the ECHR after their own courts failed them. In Ireland, one example of a high profile case would have been David Norris who had to appeal to the ECHR to change laws pertaining to the criminality of homosexual acts after the Irish courts upheld them.

So you have to be careful what you wish for.

• Advertisement

It is illegal to enter without documentation except that is is not illegal to enter on false or no documentation if you do so for the purpose of seeking asylum and you present yourself as such.

Why does such a loophole exist? Well a person genuinely fleeing for their life might have to be spirited out of their own country using false documentation for example. Or if fleeing for ones life from a war situation, they might not have been able to wait around to have their passport application processed by the local bombed out office. Do you remember the case of your man Kashoggi who went to the Saudi Embassy (in Turkey I think) to get some documents and he was never seen again. Assumed to have been killed and dismembered and brought back to Saudi in diplomatic suitcases.

Now, am I saying that all these lads have genuine reasons for having no documentation - far from it. I am only telling you why the exception exists. You can do away with it if you like, but then you remove it for the actual genuine person. Even if that is one-in-a-thousand.

And surely the result is, somewhere down the line.....a significant percentage of the population are fake AS, descendants of fake AS, descendants of descendants of fake AS etc. With maybe some genuine cases thrown in to spice things up. Though on the flip side at least we'll have plenty of doctors and engineers.

Same as how it is likely the case that many on disability benefit are not what an ordinary person would consider or assume to be disabled.

But does that mean we should just scrap it? Because that would be an easy solution to prevent fake applicants abusing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tourmaline24

I registered recently so can't post links. But most asylum seekers are from safe countries and most are refused. Nothing to do with good or bad faith, just cold hard facts, available anywhere. The communities with the longest history of direct provision starting in the late 90s are well aware of the pattern: application, multiple appeals, leave to remain, council housing, regular holidays back to the supposed war torn homeland. Many are people who integrate just fine and work etc but they are undeniable abusers of the system.

When I hear the phrases dutifully trotted out by NGOs about vulnerable people fleeing war etc, I'm reminded of that Orwell quote:

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

We're not a serious country.

No need to scrap it. Steps are taken to catch disability cheats, videoing suspected cheats in the gym when they apparently can't walk for example. I'm sure catching those cheats comes at a cost, but it's for the greater good of this country.

How do you disprove an insane number of people arriving are actually in need of asylum, many of whom come with no documentation?

That seems a little hard so ye know what, just come in, we're a gullible bunch over here and we might do a bit of good cop/bad cop on ye but, irrelevant of the outcome, welcome to Ireland. That's Jono in the North Face tracksuit, he doesn't like you because you live in the hotel his ma used to work in, sorry bud you're just going to have to deal with that!

That's hardly for the greater good of this country, speaking of that, does that matter at all? Certainly doesn't seem like it.

Do you want to scrap Asylum in Ireland or do you want to keep accepting applications and processing them?

You either scrap it, or you allow applications which you then process. But scrapping it hurts genuine cases in the same way that scrapping disability would hurt genuine cases there.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Fotish

The Irish Times have an editorial on Sinn Féin’s new migrant policy , of course they cannot help letting their biases show and finish up with “But it is easy to foresee a situation where local Sinn Féin representatives can use the new policy as cover for blanket opposition to refugee accommodation anywhere in the country. That would be a useful, if cynical, defensive ploy against threats to the party from its right flank at the next election.”

Pathetic paper .

I would like the country to suspend applications so as to deal with the many issues the government have just exacerbated.

And after that, if we can help, where practical, then do so. Practical isn't importing a greater number of AS, all men, into a town than the number of residents in said town. Or planning on planting God knows how many into deprived areas.

Madness that such a discussion is even taking place. That's virtue signalling of the highest order, and pandering to the EU and NGOs and whoever else dumb enough to think the issues these people are "fleeing" don't come with them. That's self destruction.

If a million, or 5 million, or 15 asylum seekers are genuine cases, is that this countries problem?

If the same number aren't genuine that's surely a problem, but we'll take our chances.

You indicated that we should accept AS forever, ideally somehow deporting the scammers, but surely that changes the country, and from looking at our EU cousins, not for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

IFAC "slammed" the government (really Roderic o'Gormans department) back in December for breaking every fiscal policy put in place to curtail spending in budget 2024 via "fiscal gimmekry".

In real terms, so far, it is 4.5 billion "increase" from the exchequer that is being money laundered into human trafficking industry hands in this state.

I don't agree with much of what the US does, but were it the US, he'd be in prison. Not a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Did SF explain where the Asylum Seekers would be housed, if the audit finds the location is unsuitable?

If there are 3 sites for consideration and all fail the audit, where do the asylum seekers go?

Is the audit decision final? If a site fails the audit, does that mean the asylum seekers cannot be housed at the site under any circumstances? Or is it just a reccomendation they are not housed there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I understand your point now. Assumptions are fine as long as you agree with them. I’m glad we clarified that.

David Norris coming here for help is exactly what I want the mountains of men and women coming here to do. Nearest safest port of call. In danger in northern "islamic" Nigeria. Seek refuge in Lagos or Cameroon. Coming from Georgia...oh wait Georgia, Albania etc were all safe countries anyway.

Well not quite. It would be inconsistent to have the opinion that the majority of current applicants are not genuine while also having the fear that the genuine ones would overrun us

Personally, I would say that the number of genuine ones would be dwarfed by the number of foreigners who come here legally, qualified and working in various industries. So if you are worried about some kind of "dilution" or "replacement" then we would also need to be cutting those back regardless of the affect on the economy. You might take the blinkered view that "shure we can get an Irish person to do that job" but that isn't the point. The mult-nationals that are here want to be in a country where they can employ who they want to do a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Nobody disagrees about speeding up the process. Or acting upon the results of a process

But the government aren't doing that and none of the other parties will either. And ask yourself who is making money off the back of that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SonicSuper

It will end in tears it always does. There isn't a place on the planet were forcing the multicultural fantasy upon people has worked. Our folly is believing we are somehow different, somehow special because we are Irish. We are wrong.

That's a discussion for another day, but if wanting Irish people to be largely represented in their own country now and in the future, is a bad thing then we're worse off in this country than I thought!

Maybe said multinationals may f@#k off out of the country and take their business with them when we follow suit in becoming a cesspit due to the spectacular effects of multiculturalism.

Our maybe we'll be ok in that regard and what's happening all over Europe won't happen here because we're Ireland and "shure" everyone loves Ireland. As I said, that's for another day.

The fact remains soft touch Ireland is open for business for anyone calling themselves an asylum seeker, whether they are here fleeing persecution or for other reasons, with no sign of closing.

That's not good for anyone, well actually it's great for the scammers and NGOs and hoteliers, and.....

Post edited by giseva on

And who is going to make money off the State being prevented from putting them into converted warehouses? Because they are going to go somewhere, and unless you and your buddies are going to get together to buy property and allow AS to live in it for free, the owners of that other property are going to be quid in thanks to all the protestors

That is why you process them quickly and you fuck the chancers out as soon as possible. Current protests are only delaying said processing and prolonging how long the AS can stay here, and ironically, making the country more attractive.

It is not the only factor delaying the processing, but it is one of them. And it is frankly distracting from the other ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

This is it. The Asylum Seekers have to go somewhere. A failed audit for an accommodation centre means either the audit is overruled, or the IPAs are housed somewhere else.

In any circumstance, the IPAs do not dissapear.

Advertisement