Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,077 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Right so you are just assuming he is talking about that part of the road.

The way you were getting all worried about it I thought you knew about some plan for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Well his/her description was "partially out the Rosbrien road." Given that the Rosbrien road covers a large area I was asking where exactly was meant by this, hoping to see a reply from the OP but when you responded instead I assumed you knew more about it than me.

I knew nothing about a cycle lane on the Rosbrien road until the above comment.

Are you refering to the symbols on the lane itself? I imagine they need to be repainted every few years depending on usage. By corrective work are you suggesting they are going to eventually be taken up and reverted to a road?

Definitely more than needing repainting as the spots where they were on the tarmac is all disturbed. All I can think is it's either vandalism or they are correcting the stupid but common mistake of having bike lanes go the opposite ways to normal lanes.

Those lanes never took up any usable road space anyway so no reason to get rid of them.

If you're sure it's either vandalism or the council correcting mistakes, I'd be inclined to say vandalism as don't forget his is the same council that did this cycle lane in Castletroy and didn't see the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

I don't see a huge problem there tbh,space off the road and just cause you have a lane doesn't give any cyclist the right to cycle madly (i cycle quiet a lot also,but do take care of myself rather than expect everyone to give way to me),it passes a crossing ,so like everyone else they should be slowing down for pedestrians anyway. i really think people get overworked on these cycle lanes for a whole cohort of reasons but just take them for what they are a safer place to cycle along ,not a hyper invinciblity corridor !

• Advertisement

Firstly it's not a pedestrian crossing so road users do not slow down whereas you are saying the bike should slow twice in that instance. Second when those types come to a road junction you are again expected to stop to let the road user turn which goes against standard practice on a road.

The other issue with these on path lanes is they are just ignored by pedestrians. I used the Monaleen one regularly and have to choose between being abused by pedestrians on the path or car drivers for not using the path.

Same as anything it might "be fine" but why not build something to the correct standard.

As for "hyper invincibility" that's not what people are complaining about with these lanes. As commuter infrastructure they need to be as efficient as the road or cycling commuters will just keep using the road.

Firstly it's not a pedestrian crossing so road users do not slow down whereas you are saying the bike should slow twice in that instance. Second when those types come to a road junction you are again expected to stop to let the road user turn which goes against standard practice on a road.

I dont know the junction, but from the pic above it sure as hell looks like a pedestrian crossing with the dipped path and lights with push buttons and whatever those things are called.

"The slowing down twice" this is not a really an issue it should be common self preservation instinct to take caution coming to a junction ,I see it with cyclists quiet a bit on the road where they plough on regardless and don't or won't yield again "you have to look our for yourself" there is enough bad road users with cars, bikes,pedestrians that none of us should be taking anything for granted, i still stand by above ,i dont see a huge issue with the lane above (it could be better ) but having cycled everywhere for years it better than sharing a small road space with a car and been forced into the kerb.

anyway does anyone have a picture of this rosbrien location as i can't picture it ? is it a case that they are reducing down to 1 lane for cars ? or is it two way ? just trying to pinpoint the location !

The point I'm making on the cycle lanes above is that they plonked 4 traffic light poles directly on a short section of cycle lane. Meaning cyclists either go out on to the road or the footpath and the middle portion of cycle lane rarely gets used. It's a good example of the attitude of "get the lane in whatever way ye can because… Green!"

You can see the junction in the link below

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ogDLqCo5y3FpdUwo8

Yes it has lights so therefore road users only stop when the light is red and plough on full speed otherwise. The bike user has to keep yielding.

You might think it's better but many cyclists don't. The problem is it would be very very very easy to build something which would have suited both. We have the means and blueprints to do it properly so we should not let councils off with doing it substandard.

yeah had a look along the road there , I have never even been there or driven on it ! its a well constructed road that would have been easy to put the correct measures in. its also odd that there is "traffic calming" bumps at all other junction from what i see but not the one pictured above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

As far as I know the short section of cycle lane on the Rosbrien Road is just to link up with the new one being built through the Baggott Estate so it gives connectivity to Ballinacurra Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭manna452121

Walked up Brookville Ave and I can see that the work was done with burners to remove the markings,maybe they put the symbols the wrong way round.

They were the "right way" (as in the same as every other dual cycle lane I have seen in Limerick) which is actually backwards. Everywhere else I have been in Europe cycle traffic will pass you the same side as regular road traffic lanes.

You mean on the Greenfields road by Young Munster? That road is way too narrow to accommodate a cycle lane. They'd have to take up a footpath, make the road one way or CPO the front half of 24 houses and development land on the corner where apartments are earmarked for a ~700m long cycle lane. Don't get me wrong it's possible but bloody expensive

It would link up with the bike lane on the childers road mind so will make a nice loop for the scrambler bikes

Maybe they want to install traffic lights on the cycle lane?

Maybe just stop jumping to conclusions about the worst possible places to put a cycle lane. You come across like someone desperate to strum up controversy.

As for Brookville it's the whole length of the road so nothing to do with traffic lights. Not sure where they could be put anyway as anywhere with road lights on that road applies to the cycle lane anyway.

Maybe get off the internet if you don't want to hear others opinions?

My traffic light comment was tongue in cheek but if we want to play Mr. Serious it's highly likely they are just being repainted

Jumping to conclusions about CPO's for 24 gardens or building cycle lanes round the back of the Peony Court isn't an "opinion" though. At least not one with any relevance.

Its an opinion on how a cycle lane down the rosbrien road or the greenfields road to meet up with the proposed one through the baggot estate could work. I'm not sure how you consider it irrelevant. Perhaps you have an opinion yourself on how it might work?

I know generally you don't like my opinions on other matters so if you'd rather not hear them there's a mute function in boards you can try out instead of making comments such as the above

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Where does the Rosbrien road start and end ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Some say it's the full length from Childers Road to Old Crescent. Some call the whole thing Greenpark road, I think officially it's Greenpark Road as far as the level crossing, then Rosbrien Road to Old Crescent. If you look at Google maps it has both Rosbrien Road and Greenpark Road listed for the section between Childers Road and the level crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It’s also Rosbrien Road up by the side of Lidl and onto the road that leads to the Barracks as far as the ESB or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭LimerickGray

I can’t find the plan anymore online but it seems to cycle out the dock rd, up the side of the motorway, cross bagotts field and finish on rosbrien rd. I

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/public-consultation-to-take-place-for-proposed-baggot-estate-active-travel

Rosbrien rd is dreadfully narrow for cycle lanes. I used to run it 3/4 times weekly and never once saw a bike ( or barely ever a runner) on it. No lights on the most of it also. I got caught once running when the dark came on fast. It was like running inside A closed wardrobe.

no the road marking show it extending to finish in the middle of ‘nowhere’ on the Rosbrien rd and not meeting with the end of the risd

According to google maps Rosbrien Road stretches from The ESB building mentioned above to the roundabout at Old Crescent

According to Eircode.ie the Rosbrien Road runs from (but not including) Lord Edward court on Lord Edward Street, to that aforementioned roundabout at Old Crescent.

All I can remember from viewing that last year was new paths within Baggot Estate park. It essentially turns dirt paths into tarmac and joins to Rosbrien road.

I don't remember any mention of cycle lanes on Rosbrien road and your link above doesn't mention them either.

I've cycled it a good few times and it's fine. Feels a bit country for a road that close to the city alright but it's not the only one. And any cyclist who isn't trying to win a Darwin award will have good lights before going on a road like that.

• Advertisement

Active Travel were in talks with some residents around the level crossing about removing gardens to widen the cycle lane. It seems to have stalled due to the train line works. The train line would be a nice route instead of the road. If Irish Rail had services only dusk to dawn

Advertisement