Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭RoTelly

In fairness they were under huge pressure to provide the service that we get ! And its one of the best in the world! No argument allowed. 😂

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Dude. You don't need to tell us these things. It's not relevant to the conversation. I don't know why you do it. Just like your characteristion of almost everyone on here it's not necessary. You're overcompensating on an anonymous forum. As you say yourself this is not an important site.

The fact is Tubs is the subject of mirth a lot of the time and that's alright. He's had a honied career, based more on connections than talent, fair play to him, but many take grave and genuine exception to his carry over recent years. He's a symbol of much that is wrong with RTE and seems like a tone deaf ingrate. His stint on Virgin has been borderline ludicrous and amusing to observe. He should also give the Renault money back. Commenting on him, with some resentment admittedly, does not make us a bunch of sad, loser, parochial, rural, neckbeards as you continually imply.

Moderator: coolbeans was warned for this - ignoring Mod.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭franglan

Listened to 30 mins this morning. He's way too theatrical in his delivery. It sounds laboured between the gasps and quips and vocal peaks and troughs. Personally finding it taxing to listen to even with 2 minute interludes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭HBC08

When I suggested you get help for your seething anger issues on another thread you reported me.

Moderator:  was warned for this - ignoring Mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

And let's not pretend that had it not been for those pesky auditors who copped some "bizarre irregularities in the accounts", Mr Tubridy would still be at RTE, still fronting his doddle of a radio programme and still pumping out death & misery on the Late Late Show.

I have no doubt that returning old buddy and lunching companion Kevin Bakhurst would be currently trying to find "new, exciting partnership opportunities for Ireland's flagship chat show" in order to shovel more unseen cash into Tub's bottomless pockets. Because you couldn't expect a broadcasting legend to subsist on a measly 400k a year, like!

We won't fool ourselves into thinking that there will be any major change at RTE. It's still a taxpayer funded knees up and always will be. But at least now they know we know and maybe won't take the absolute piss for the foreseeable. And at least the pisstaker-in-chief fell of his pedestal in Irish society and now has to show up for a realistic work schedule, for a realistic salary appropriate for his status in radio land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Must be a fierce annoyance that it's called the Ryan Tubridy scandal everytime the bailout is mentioned in the media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I get the feeling Fionnan Sheehan gets a great kick out of keeping him wedded to this scandal!

I'm hopeful Tubs will be making an appearance with Patrick Kielty this autumn. I mean, he did nothing wrong. This is a fiasco of RTE's making. He was just a simple Toyman, concentrating only on making the best radio and TV possible. Trivialities like €150k top-ups were for his accountant to worry about. He was off eating 99s and thinking about the Beatles. He was hard done by. And now, as I think I heard somewhere, he's in London, playing senior hurling, with a partner and absolutely smashing it. He should swagger onto his old show and show Kielty how it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭yagan

Of course they'll take the piss, but under the banner "we all partied"©(Fianna Fail circa 2009)

Dee Forbes will probably appear on dancing with the canteen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

RTE have run highlights of the Late Late Show from time to time, why don’t they run Lowlights of the Late Late Show with canned laughter, of course Annie Murphy/Bishop Casey would be one of Gaybo’s fiascos, Pat Kenny & Dawn French another, but there’d be plenty of material from Tubbs too.

Post edited by tohaltuwi on

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Sure it's all lehman brothers fault. That's why we're still paying usc.

O and also,the government have given rte a €725m funding deal. Harris says it gives almost unprecedented certainty.

• Advertisement

I can a lot of court cases being lodged about political bias against rte.

Plus, this barter business isn't over. Like the Casey saga I'm sure there's plenty of new revelations ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭nonetheless

How any Virgin Radio UK listener tuning into the radio station for music could ever find this interesting is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

What is the music programing on Virgin like? After reading your post. I really hope it is something like old school drum and bass or techno. Come for Goldie stay for the mud larking.

Sooo we're now gone below scrapping the barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Ryan’s craven attempt to sandbag Gerry Adams was a classic. It ended with most of the audience applauding Adams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭jmcc

Think that Johnny Vaughan (ex Big Breakfast) presented a TV show or series on mudlarking (basically people metal detecting and looking for historical objects in the Thames mud at low tide.) Not sure that Tubridy's effort quite works on radio as people can't see the finds.They also may not be interested in watching the Youtube clip.

Regards…jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

During one of my deliveries yesterday I was in a Spar in a fairly well off district.

2 comfortably retired teacher “book club” old dear types were perusing the paper headlines and 1 says to the other “that RTÉ scandal is STILL going on?! … Ryan Tubridy, remember him???”

The other replied “unfortunately I do!!” And both threw their heads back in laughter.

When he has become a figure of derision for his “core audience”, the game is well and truly up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

• Advertisement

Very much so.

Drives some regular Bryan diehards on this thread absolutely crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭RoTelly

How do you feel about the RTÉ scandal now? Do you think it is time to move on?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Many won't be but I'd feel sorry for him. RTE couldn't wait to throw him under the bus. He showed credability in going in front of the Oireachtas without any push back. More than can be said for Ms. Forbes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Can you elaborate - my sense of what showing credibility is, would be that he would actually do what he promised the Oireachtas Committee he would do. Promises mean nothing unless acted on. Zero credibility therefore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Tork

Noted that it was another broadcast from Q102 today. Hence, the heightened mood and irritating sounds when announcing artists or groups names. His link at 11:48 was indicative of this - referencing the importance of passing the learner driving test and then of course displaying classic Tubridy smugness, as one of his family members passed theirs this week (congratulations to her btw) which led to him making fun of some woman who he had seen driving with with her phone placed on her shoulder and pressed to her ear whilst her vehicle's 'L' plate was mounted upside down, which is actually by no means funny. This led to what sounded like a false cheesy in-studio background belly laughter session probably contributed to by his producer Conor, Scott Williams and also possibly Colburn - sounding like they are desperately trying to emulate some of the 1980's/90's presentation traits of syndicated radio shows such as "The Rick Dees Weekly Top 40" in which the producer/engineer Paul Liebeskind and writer Lon Weyland would contribute to background laughter and studio presence, but the difference is that they could do it effectively and naturally, something these wannabes along with Tubridy at Q102 could never manage even in their wildest dreams. Something similar happened during his link at 12:34 - some reference to Long John Silver, couldn't understand much more as he immersed himself into not finishing words/sentences mode and uncontrollable (Oh look I'm back in Ireland!) laughter.

I would say he is requesting them to facilitate Friday broadcasts from Q102 more often so he can spend more of his weekends in Dublin. Probably will see or rather hear more of this going forward but it will never gloss over the end result and that is: It makes no difference to Virgin/Wireless or the listener as his show is a turkey no matter where it is broadcast from.

Post edited by nonetheless on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mountain

has he referred to Sinead O Connor yet this week?
    given that it’s her first anniversary

Won’t deny Tork - I indulged in a guilty chuckle whilst going about my daily tasks.

Good shout - Ryan told us many times how oh so close and oh so friendly he was with her??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As this is the radio forum, I'll mention that BBC Radio 4 aired a tribute to Sinead last week.

UK radio viewers might have come across it… but then I wonder if Tubridy is allowed mention the competition…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0021995

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement