Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,560 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A proposal for RTÉ to get public funding of €725 million over the next three years is to go to Cabinet tomorrow.

This figure includes paid-for TV licences, free TV licences and an Exchequer funding top up to bring it to the agreed level.

The exact amount of Exchequer funding will depend on the amount collected in TV licence revenue.

The three coalition party leaders met tonight to sign off on the proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭jj880

Insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Outrageous amount of money.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

RTE and govt are like 2 drunks propping each other up on the dancefloor after wandering around the dancehall all night stealing drinks from the tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That's €5million a week, is there some major infrastructure build needed or where is the money going? Surely they can't be needing that amount for day to day running costs. Remember them getting €107.5 million in 2017 for the land sale to Cairn Homes, where did that go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Tow

It went into two new 'High Tech' radio studios. Lucky they still had the old studio as a backup last Friday.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

shite on a stick…jesus h furkin christ…like what the furk…? €725MILLIONS??? for what? load of shite! feckin screw paddy public in the arse yet again!!! surely every one knows sweet fa is going to change in rte,be another load of waffle and bollixology next year looking for even more money ffs…still say shouldve closed it down,brought in the fraud squad and made dee and her mates answer questions from a holding cell…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭bigroad

Top brass are all connected to government, wasn't Dee a friend of Leo and no dought Simon after all his brother walked out with a nice chunk of money after costing 2 millions worth of dept .

Once they keep the government narrative they will recieve all the handouts they need

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭bigroad

Yes and just to add all four of these chancers left their jobs for some strange reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

How are the Government not getting in the auditors to comb through RTE’s books?

I get that it’s a tricky subject before a general election but what’s the long term plan because it’s a basket case as is…

i think the only planning in rte thats going on is to get the champagne on ice asap and have a pish up!!! as for the "goverment" they dont give one shiny shite,its holiday time…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

So basically no different to how it was before.

Well that was a valuable use of time wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A: the cross-pollination between RTE and FF/FG/etc. - the coveney's for example, an audit would be 'incovenient' for many of the political top brass.

B: RTE still has plenty of reach in the country, for a political party to antagonise them ahead of an election would be risky, even if they did have 90% of the country on their side. RTE is a basket case with poor output, waste and redundancy everywhere, but they do seem have a great ability to scrap like dogs when threatened. See the constant throwing of SF under the bus.

Fergal Bowers is over in the US covering the US election. Its not until November 5th. So, 104 days from now, lets give him 2 days to recover after it before he flies home.

(Very, very conservative estimates)

106 days * hotel room ~$150 a night

A per diem of $150 a day

Is $31,800 as well as his usual salary.

I work for a multi billion dollar company and I have to beg to travel to a foreign europe based office for a week. Any longer would need senior management approval. We have shareholders if we run out of money to explain to. RTE just goes back to the dail, cap in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Soc_Alt

So why the double tax for RTE?

Why not just take it from the exchequer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Quags

Have to hand it to the Government on this, seen the backlash and lies from RTE & public and thought what better way to fix RTE than giving them even more money that will be wasted in the following years.

RTE should be like Sky Sports, if you want it then you pay for it otherwise leave the public fund alone

As someone on Morning Ireland pointed out, in Czechia the money for the TV license is a fee added on to everyones electricity bill. So zero avoidance. No need for inspectors. No need for ads on TV and Radio telling people they need to pay it etc. No people up in court for not paying it.

Then the Morning Ireland presenter said "Oh but that would have political implications".

And the focus group in the Dail for the last 9 months didn't?!?

I despair at this country sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Soc_Alt

What I don't understand is why the Oireachtas don't drag in the RTE board and the DG again and go through the fcuking RTE1 TV guide for today or any other day and ask they need so much money when a large majority of programme are Foreign?

I would think ( And I could be stupid) that what we are paying to RTE, they are then paying Foreign countries for licences to broadcast this programming.

So the cash for a majority of the programmes is leaving the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

RTE should be like Sky Sports, if you want it then you pay for it otherwise leave the public fund alone

We don't have political parties of any significance who would contemplate such a broadcasting policy. If you want that sort of RTE funding model you'll have to start putting guys like this in the Dail

In response to the news on funding Independent Councillor, Gavin Pepper said that “taxpayers money should not be used to prop up RTÉ”.

(amusing the Gript article doesn't name the 'independent councillor' until halfway down and never mentions his political allegiance…)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

The idea that this money is contingent on RTE carrying out items on an action plan is laughable. They need the cash. They get the cash. Otherwise another funding crisis rears it's head and the whole sorry saga is in the spotlight yet again, something no government wants.

Government coffers are groaning. Pay them and make it go away. Was it every going to be any other outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I love how this bailout is announced in the final cabinet meeting and after the Dail went into recess. Very very cynical. They are a useless shower.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I agree here

If I don't pay my TV licence, they will take it from me through tax anyway

If I do pay my TV licence, they will still take it from me in tax again!!

Does anyone have a contact in Groupon or similar site. If they get cheap energy prices, and Spa days, could they not organise a mass professional TV (without Ariel input) so if we buy 1000s of TVs we'll get a good discount.

55 inch 4k should suit most people?

But I guess if we do this the tax is going up but at least it's just a once of cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Shan Doras

Do you remember what happened back in the 00s when RTE became awash with Money after Bertie Ahern's government gave them a big increase in the TV licence from about 100€ to 155€ ? They used it to pay Pat Kenny 995k per year and Gerry Ryan 650k per year and Joe Duffy used to get 10 weeks off in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Reports today suggest that Dublin Airport are about to enter an agreement with RTE to lease the car park at Montrose until September in an attempt to alleviate high demand for parking at Dublin Airport.

A spokesman is reported to have said that Montrose is like a ghost town from June to September and the first 1000 bookings will get 2 free pairs of flip flops and a €20 discount on the TV licence.

😉

oh yessss!!! sign me up and take MORE of my money!!!! i want…no…i DEMAND my flip-flops!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I thought it was serious until he mentioned the flip flops.

Goes to show you how mad the world has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Oxo Moran

They've been talking about changing from the licence fee model for many governments.

Harris took the easiest option available. Not even RTE are happy. Nothing to see here, business as usual.

FF/FG/Green have failed the tax payer and rewarded the chancers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 SonicSuper

This is just how things work in Ireland, we reward incompetency. Nothing will ever change.

Advertisement