Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭alentejo

It is summers like these I will always resist carbon taxes on aviation while living in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

F**king lashing down in D8. Sighhhhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

It's clearing from Westerly direction, you'll be going from grey & wet to delightful grey & dry shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Thunder87

Had a quick look at the sunshine totals for Dublin, by my count there's been only 1 actual 'sunny' record (at 6am!) and 21 partly cloudy records in the 3 hourly reports this month and 50% of those were at either 6am or 9pm. Almost all our core daytime sunshine came in a few days between the 3rd and 8th, I do remember a few nice days then but we still had that cold wind so it still felt more like spring that mid summer. Ever since then it's just been near permanent darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilly1910

Yeah same here in Dublin Kanye, grey, miserable and wet. Before we know it, it will be October, and the only difference will that it will be colder, and darker much earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Anyone find the forecasting for today woefully bad? I thought mist and drizzle were supposed to arrive later in the morning. It’s been raining on and off in Galway since I woke. None of the forecasting models can seem to agree on the weekends weather never mind next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Wet, warm and muggy in Galway this afternoon. Soft drizzle. There will be massive growth in these conditions although it's also rife for blight. I expect the rain to have moved on by 5pm.

I was talking to a fisherman who was delighted that the "July Rains" had finally come so that the salmon and sea trout can move up the rivers. Is there such a thing as July Rains? I know last July was very wet but...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Gone very blustery out now, still grey as far as the eye can see. Unpleasent conditions for a "summers" day. Weekend might be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Robwindstorm

The weather models have been very poor leaving forecasting after day 3 impossible. I don't know is it down to unusual sea temperatures that's making the atmosphere unstable and harder to predict. I'm sure syran is the best man to put a theory on it. All these new super computers are preforming well below par , dare I say it, a bit like the electric cars 🚗

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭glitterIsland

The weather is absolutely crap all summer. It was cold and wet with only some short spells of sun. It's impossible to plan anything. Like you wouldn't be able to hand clothes out on the line and go away for the day because they will be guaranteed to be soakinglwet when you arrive home again. Planning an outfit to wear is hard too. I don't know if I need a cardigan or a jacket and a hat and sunglasses half of the time. I never wore the suncream I bought this summer. There was no real heatwave or prolonged sun and dry spell.

F*cking crap weather. I hope August improves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

that fisherman probably knows what he’s talking about when he says ‘July rains’ . There is something called the ‘European monsoon’ which is when westerly winds return after the April to June period when more often than not its quite dry with blocking and east winds, as we know easterlies are unfortunately quite rare in July and August.

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2012/06/08/what-is-the-european-monsoon/

When the westerly wind returns? That f**king westerly wind hasn't dissapeared for about a year

Someone above also mentioned about hanging their washing out, only had a handful of opportunities to get the bed sheets out all summer. This house husband lark is hardwork i'm telling ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Huh? I have never known a summer that was as good for drying clothes. Mace Head got 6mm of rain in the first 3 weeks of July and May/June got 50-60% of average rainfall nationwide. Drying clothes was easy. Handful of opportunities? Even the ground was bone dry and rock hard.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

It's either been wet,too humid, or so damp you'd be quicker drying them indoors. My location, a shower has never seemed more than half an hour away. Too much a gamble to take Cluedo.

Can't be having that smell of rain ruining that lovely smell of comfort strawberry and lily i have on the bedsheets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭cml387

Yesterday in Dungarvan you could see that just out to sea it was perfectly clear, but just inland was completely cloudy. And every evening the sun comes out after staying cloudy all day. Are we somehow cursed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It’s generally true but not so much this year, last year was the perfect example of ‘European monsoon’ , a dry and sunny spring and into late June and we know the rest.
    I’ve seen far too many good ‘summers’ (April, May, June) and poor Julys and Augusts over the years to tell me that this ‘European monsoon’ is a very valid theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Fairly warm in carrick today 19c but feels like 23c or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Ireland is hiding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Just banging the same drum as everyone else but I am utterly fed up now this summer. Today was another wet start in Wicklow followed by a blanket of heavy grey cloud. Temperatures I couldn't care less about, 10 degrees or 30 doesn't bother me all that much but the lack of sunshine and constant showery muck is really grating on me now. The northerly turn of the jet that was showing on earlier forecasts has disappeared again too right up to +384 hours so no end in sight to the conveyor belt of misery! Roll on September so I can get away to some sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Thunder87

Can't speak for the west but at least in Dublin's case I think the 'drier than average' summer is another case of stats not telling the full story. While there might not have been much rain in mm terms, there's been loads of days with light rain and drizzle (today for example) and other days where there's spits of rain that don't amount to anything but still just make it feel damp and unpleasant.

Also in a normal summer we'd get the odd day here and there with a heavy shower or thunderstorm that drops a week's worth of light rain in 30 minutes but there's just been zero convective weather this summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Actually a lovely evening in Central Dublin now. Warm and the clouds aren't quite as oppressive as they have been. Very busy with people outside bars etc. Could be worse I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Edgardo.

West Waterford. There was a mountain there a few hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭pureza

Dreary in Arklow all day,I'd be hoping to have photo's of Mt Fuji for ye next week though if the cameraman doesnt melt in 35c heat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Kutebride

So the drizzle stopped in Meath around noon. Grey skies never moved. Around 6pm the grey skies weren't as low. No actual proper daylight all day though. Mild evening.

It seems Rescue 115 had to suspend a search for a young boy at Cliffs of Moher due to poor visibility at around that time 6pm. 😪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Rescue 115 could not land at UHG at 2pm due poor visibility on a medevac from Aran had to land in South Park ,it's been very dull and heavy mist for most of the day in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭glightning

I see tonight is one of those one or two evenings per year (always around late July / early August) when we stay up near 20c close to midnight under cloud 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

19c in Dublin as of 2am , its 15c here in carrick fairly humid and sticky tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mapaputsi

Do I see a glimmer of hope from midweek next week? Would be lovely to get a nice August bank holiday weekend, they don't happen often in my living memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Miserable soft morning in Dublin again, the type that soaks you without you realising, but sticky with the humidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilly1910

Well glad to see that this joke of a Summer has been good for something!!

Advertisement