Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I asked the manager of Supervalu in Mount Merrion and they except manual returns if machine is not working or issue with identifying the item. The manager had no issues cleaning out the machine and putting a new sack in awaiting for the next load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

As you say it's a small sample.

I could never see the attraction of manual given the labour cost involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm not going reading 20 odd documents to find where it says retailers can refuse manual returns. I did open the one named Retailer Need to Know guide and it doesn't mention it. The options to the consumer are rvm or manual. If the rvms are not working, manual is the only option and they can't refuse. The only options available to retailers is charge but don't have returns (exemption) or accept returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭Archeron

Is there one single aspect of this that Return havent made a complete and utter bollix of?

And they are siphoning off tens of millions of euro from the public for the privilege.

Ok, so is it true to say that you have nothing to prove your assertion that retailers must offer manual return if their RVM is out of action ?

You can say it all day long for all I care but it's not helping.

I just want to find out one way or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Yes. Re-Turn have planned and executed this perfectly:

siphoning off tens of millions of euro from the public

Saying the architects of Re-Turn are incompetent could be doing them a disservice. I'm starting to think theyve achieved 100% of what they wanted including gauging the bare minimum DRS required for this heist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Is there one single aspect of this that Return havent made a complete and utter bollix of?

Hmmmmmmm….Let me think.

And they are siphoning off tens of millions of euro from the public for the privilege.

Oh yeah, that's the aspect they didn't make a complete and utter bollix of.

Just like you're not proving retailers have a choice, just info dumping and expecting others to prove it for you? The main landing page of the rescam website has the exact information needed. It says nothing about having to go to different machines if they're not working. If a place has rvms, they're accepting returns. The options to return are rvm and manual. It's not either or. So, you can say it all day long for all I care but its not helping.

"DEPOSIT RETURN OPTIONS

A Guide For Retailers

A Retailer will have two options when offering a take-back service for the empty, undamaged drinks containers featuring the Re-turn logo returned by consumers:

Manual Returns or Automatic Returns through a Reverse Vending Machine (RVM).

The volume of sales and expected returns, of drinks containers is a key driver in determining whether a Retailer chooses manual collection opt for automatic collection via RVMs."

Above is from the link you said you wouldn't read earlier.

It doesn't say retailers must offer manual if the machines are out of order.

If you have any better information please post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

This came up on the thread ages ago and no one seemed sure. I spoke to a friend who manages a Tesco about it and he said that once they had an RVM they were covered for returns and did not have to accept manual returns.

He said that the collection company had a a specific manual return process that required them to provide certain bags that had a barcode that, on collection, would be scanned in along with a form that had listed the amount of cans/bottles in that bag. He said the reason for that is the Tesco store would get payment per item returned so the collectors will not just accept a black bags of bottles or cans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

The legislation (S.I. No. 33/2024 - Separate Collection (Deposit Return Scheme) Regulations 2024) states that a return point operator shall “take back every in-scope bottle and in-scope container returned to it by a consumer in the manner agreed between the return point and the approved body,”.
    “Manner agreed” implies that until Return requires that an alternative manner of collection be in place when an RVM is broken, there is no requirement for shops to offer a manual return.

Their FAQ on the issue of broken RVMs does not inspire confidence:

What can I do if an RVM is malfunctioning?

Notify the Retailer of RVM malfunction.

Approved Body is Re-Scam. Manner agreed, from my reading of that legislation, is not defined. But it's the manner agreed between retailers and re-scam. So the agreement is between the return point (participating retailers, because there is nowhere else at the moment) and the approved body (re-scam). So it's nothing to do with consumers, from my reading of it. The joys of legislation! I don't think there are any "return point operators" as per Part VI, as all of them fall under the umbrella of retailers as per Part V. The only option to consumers is to return at a participating outlet, and doesn't define if it has to be either or. A return point is a return point, and I haven't seen anything specifically state retailers can choose one or the other.

I've emailed re-scam to see what their advise is. Not that I expect a reply, but if I don't get one, I'll just email them again and CC in every single TD I can get an email for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭crusd

I would like to figure out what I have been doing wrong. I have yet to have a single eligible bottle or can that Return machines have not accepted. On a couple of occasions I have had to wait 2 minutes for someone to clear the machine. What have I been doing incorrectly? I feel so left out of the frothing rage?

Is it that I have been using the machines as intended? How idiotic of me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

You have answered your own question there. The siphoning off of tens of millions of euros they did perfectly and ensuring the money keeps rolling in.

I can't remember the exact quote or indeed which movie it was in but it went something like:

"You think that was mis-management? That was perfectly orchestrated fraud".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭crusd

Remind who the profits from the non profit set up to run the scheme go to?

Its a non-profit, its not a charity.

Incidentally there are lots of charities around the place that just cover operating costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some shops are better at running the machines than others. It is hit and miss. Your mileage may vary.
    The machines in my local Dunnes always working, Supervalu, LIDL, ALDI hit and miss.

The rollout of the scheme was a joke, confusion between producers and retailers and re-turn, what was in scope, what wasn't. Barcode needed or not. Products charged deposits but not registered in the scheme so couldn't be returned. LIDL machines needing the caps removed, everybody else saying caps on.
    This is all documented on the thread, unless you're calling posters liars?
    Most of those issues have been rectified, but it should never have been such a mess to begin with.

Even now, months into the scheme and past the deadline for all products on shelves to have Return logo. And we still see products for sale without the logo. Certain products the machines can be very fussy about such as sub 500ml bottles.

So 'frothing rage'? No need for that, just read the thread in good faith.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭maik3n

Putting aside the operation of the scheme for the end user, for a moment.

It might be too early to get an idear on things but has there been any data provided thus far, to suggest that DRS recycling has a better outcome for our bottles/cans etc versus your standard green recycle bin at home?

Or do we actually even know what happens with the DRS method?

From what I can tell, once something goes into either a DRS or for that matter a green bin at home, what happens next is anyones guess. Some does get incinerated. Some gets sent abroad for recycling. There is no data available that I am aware of for percentages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Simple logic suggest that if retailer does have machine in place they do offer returns. If machine is out of order they should proceed with manual since they do offer returns and cant just say come back tomorrow when we fix them.

Consider yourself lucky but dont despair, your day will come eventually.

By the way your reasoning can be applied to a multitude of things like….

I would like to figure out what I have been doing wrong. I have yet to have a single traffic accident. On a couple of occasions I have had a near miss. What have I been doing incorrectly? I feel so left out of the frothing rage?

Is it that I have been driving as intended? How idiotic of me

We do have no idea so far about couple quite important things.

What happens with non claimed deposits? (other than they will cover running the scheme and most likely generous quango type salaries of people involved)

What happens with recovered material and profit from selling it since there is no place in Ireland who actually refine it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

They wont release figures. We are vaguely told it will be for "future environmental initiatives". As for obvious improvements needed that would make things easier for customers and shop staff lol. Forget it.

The CEO is on the radio periodically telling us not to use RVMs at the weekend. Exemptions for online shopping for people who cant make it to shops? Again get fecked. Watery spoof like "contact our office and we'll help you". Ive yet to hear what that help actually involves. Its a sh!t show and as you say a quango. An already very valuable quango at that pulling in massive amounts of money from customer deposits.

However as long as it works fine for some that should override all the obvious gombeenery and issues with Re-Turn. Its a very Irish thing. Anyone speaking out about this kind of scheme / corruption must be a rabid lunatic / a tight ass who should just pay up or just a whinger in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bog master

Last info I read, I believe from Repack, is that 70% of plastics collected are incinerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The vast majority of all plastic is non recyclable. And those that can be recycled are usually limited to one cycle. Two at best. The whole idea of plastic recycling is a bit of a con. The reality is that most plastic will end up on its way to an incinerator or into a landfill after its first use.

And Re-Turn will do bugger all to change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bog master

I have fun waiting in the queue to redeem my deposits. One's with dozens of plastic bottle are told that 7 of last 10 bottles will be incinerated NOT recycled.

You might say they should but all the evidence do far suggests that they are not obliged to.

By the way, have you considered the logistics involved to accommodate manual returns.

Just for a start, who would do it and where would they do it ?

You may be conflating two separate statistics.

The 70% figure is for all plastics.

Re-turn only handle plastic bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We were told ad nauseum on the thread, oh we copied the scheme that worked elsewhere, why wouldn't it work here.

Other countries operate manual returns, why can't we?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement