Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Hurlingtothebone

Quiet a few Kilkenny on the DCU and Maynooth college teams. Very hard to break into UCC and UL team

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Just saying we used to dominate all things hurling , now not so much now.wheather local colleges are just picking their own,it seems that way to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭King Power Fox

Between 2010 and 2011 did ye have much player turnover. How did Cody do it to get 4 of the next 5 All Irelands. The regular greats from the initial 4 in a row must have been phased out by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Village87

The club scene is very important this year. The players are out there. Management have to be all over this. We need to find players to match Adam Hogan , Mark Rogers, Shane O Brien, Alan Connolly, Shane Barrett, Ciarán Joyce, Conor Leen

• Registered Users Posts: 29 neverbet

The club scene is important every year and all management teams over the years can be observed at the matches. Somebody on this thread stated earlier in the year there was 60 plus players training on the inter county panel. I doubt too many are being left behind. Perhaps you might name the players of potential you feel are out there that nobody else seems to see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

KK only beaten three times this year, by Clare in Ennis, Clare in Thurles league final and Clare in Croke park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Being in Leinster, obviously not KK's fault, has a lot to do with that stat. A more accurate summary of KK's year is who of note did they beat in Championship hurling. KK played one meaningful pressure game and lost it. I'm not having a go by the way- and how could I considering the depths Tipp habe fallen to - but KK fans need to be realistic on whete they currently stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭conor05

In 2023, TJ Reid, Adrian Mullen and especially Eoin Cody bet Clare in the semi final.

Adam Hogan was able to shut down Cody this year bar that wonder final he got, TJ was off with a few frees and McInerney hurled Mullen out of it, albeit a supposedly injured Mullen.

Billy Ryan scored 1-2 in the semi this year but look at what Clare’s subs contributed in the semi and final.

If the hurlers are out there why are still bringing on the Wallys, Fogartys and Buckleys. No offence to them 3 great servants who I have great respect for.

But where is our Ryan Taylor’s, Ian Galvins, lads who are going to add pace and tack on scores down the home stretch.

If a strong bench gets sorted for 2025, KK won’t be far away again.

I think a few lads are going to retire for Wexford and Galway so they might be in a small bit of transition in Leinster.

And in saying all that, I genuinely believe Kilkenny could of won this years all Ireland.

Had KK finished off Clare like they should have, Cork didn’t hit the heights in the final like they did v Limerick in the semi and Kilkenny would have had a right chance.

All ifs and buts now though.

well we also beat Waterford and Limerick and Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Camogie news .

The Golden Jubilee of Kilkennys first Senior all ireland win will be celebrated in Nowlan Pk on Saturday.

Players lunch before the All Irl semis, and the Jubilee team will be presented on the pitch at half time.

A nice touch, A shame our present players wont be playing in the semi that day !😏

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Clare bet us 3 times this year, if we played them 10 times they would beat us each time, much stronger team, better bench and more flair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Ah stop now. Ridiculous statement. They would not beat KK 10 times out of 10. You're correlating the game Clare played on Sunday with any game they'd play against us which is just wrong. Cork setup to say we can score more than you and Clare were happy to match that by going man on man. That would not / has not happened in any of games between KK and Clare in the last 3 years. There's **** all between KK and Clare when they meet each other which is an undeniable fact. Any statement to the contrary is recency bias.

Better bench. Agreed.

More flair. Probably at the top end.

Stronger. I doubt many intercounty teams are physically stronger or harder than Kilkenny.

Literally one and a half games ago Kilkenny were 5 points ahead of Clare having left about 8 points out there. To now say we'd never beat them is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

KK would not be afraid of Clare if they meet again next year and rightly so. Their bench bet us simple as that.

Would Clare have beaten Limk in the final? I think not. But i thought they had the beating of Cork.

The Clare v Cork game is a toally different type of match up to if either of them had played KK.

Stronger team boils down to better hurlers around the pitch. Kilkenny cannot match players like O'Donnell, Fitzgerald, Taylor, Kelly, Rodgers. If we out work Clare and essentially dog them we can beat them but when they get rolling we have no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Shocks12

Here is my assumption on Kilkenny.

Lyng hasn’t stamped his authority on this team yet. Same players as Cody's team really.

Could have and probably should have bet Clare if we were better in our passing. Reid lamped ball down the line high and we basically gave ball away.

You could argue this is an All Ireland left behind we all would have fancied our chances against Cork.

Some players whilst great servants should have been dropped no need to name names but legs of some are gone since 2017. I have seen a few club challenges lately being around the club scene and there is really good club hurlers out there who have cleaned out panel members.

Why aren’t they in there you will ask? Hard to know commitment and I know of one club who have players asked but family reasons (kids) work etc stop this. So we must respect the players who do put life on hold for Kilkenny hurling they do deserve our ultimate respect.

There are good club players there.

My view on what Lyng should do. Clear out the players who are there a long time he might even need to retire players and not pushing onto the team bring in youth (Cillian Hackett etc) Work from there and seriously look at coaching. A well coached team doesn’t flake ball away as easy as we did.

My thoughts on the long winter ahead but there is plenty of room for optimism!

I’d have to agree with most of that statement. Except having Lyng for another year and I’ll tell you why.first year you sort out things in your head without necessarily implementing your plan but maybe trying a few things. Second year you should certainly be implementing your ideas. Third year your plan should be working out if not resign.so as it is we are a year behind where we should be and for that reason I would not have him next year , but if he stayed I wouldn’t object that much once we could see rapid progress. That’s all people want to see. No one would mind being beaten this year if we could see a future in the team that finished against Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

ad infinitum ………

🤯

"if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle" ……

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Field east

now that you have seen what Clare are capable of in the All Ireland and the fox of a. Logan good at reading the game as it progressed! How do you think Kilkenny would have fared against Clare in the All Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Did some of the lads here ever consider the possibility that the panel and team that lyng picked were the best players he had available to him..is there a chance that the youngsters have not broken into the team because they are being out performed and out worked by the older lads on the panel?

Clare Had plenty of older players on the field sunday..

Perhaps there will be multiple retirements in the coming weeks and we will get lots of game time into the younger crew..it will be interesting to see how they perform.

I was also very impressed with the likes of shane Murphy Jordan molloy and owen wall in the league but i wasn't at any of the training sessions so maybe they didn't perform as well in the summer

I do agree we continue to make the same mistakes once the pressure comes on but i believe the players and management are equally responsible for this..

Yet as poor as we were in the second half against clare we still only lost by a very small margin..so i dont think its all doom and gloom..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

In fairness with the tight schedule of the championship I'd imagine, especially during the round robin, that there isn't much chance of doing a lot in training to impress or try and stake a claim. I think for S Murphy and Molloy they did enough in the games they played to suggest that they deserved to be the subs brought on ahead of Buckley or Fogarty who haven't played a lot this year. I'd have no problem with Wally being the first sub on he has been good off the bench for us the last couple of years. I agree 100% with your point at the end, a lot of doom and gloom here but it was very tight in the semi final and could have went either way, we're not a million miles away but just need to sharpen up a few bits and find a 3/4 new options, especially a centre back and another forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭C__MC

Will Derek lyng be under pressure next year if kilkenny have another poor year.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭conor05

I think it’s going to be a Kilkenny v Cork All Ireland final in 2024.

That Limerick half back line will never be as one unit again, Hannon their leader at 6, legs are gone and you wouldn’t even know if Kyle Hayes will be still hurling in 2025.

Kilkenny should be really hurting after that semi final v Clare, the video analysis alone of the missed chances in the first half should be enough to bring a hard chaw to the winter Pre-season training.

Personally yeah I would move Lyng on but this county board are so inept that possibility will never enter the thoughts so why I didn’t factor that in my post.

Eddie Brennan would be my choice and you can be damn certain he would bring in a top class coach.

I think it was an All Ireland left behind should have bet Clare. I would have fancied us against Cork if there plan was to go long. Look who knows but like the All Ireland in 2022 (Limerick were better team but we threw the ball away at times). We are missing that coach to move us forward.

Also our puck outs (forwards movement, patterns strike plays) need addressing which a good coach will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 njcat

Kilkenny Lessons From 2024 Championship

1. Kilkenny scoring efficiency in full flow needs to at least match Limerick, Cork and Clare. I agree with Village 87 that we seem more intent on stopping teams scoring. Limerick hit 30+ points in their 4 in a row. We need one or two more scoring forwards like Wall, Shine and Drennan playing during our purple patches. We shot 6 awful wides into Hill 16 and missed 2 goals in the first half v Clare. Clare, Cork and Limerick scored 16-17 points each into Hill 16, we shot 11. This low accuracy has been a problem at AI semis & finals for 2023 and 2024; better in 2022. We may need key forwards to lower their work rate and retain more energy for scoring.

2. Kilkenny need to be less predictable. Cody practiced this; springing surprise players late to avoid video analysis of player styles – refer Jackie’s book. Wexford and Clare easily dealt with Walter Walsh at right half forward this year; it backfired; why not put him rff or ff. Ryan Taylor (a link player) for Clare changed the middle third flow at a critical stage and opened up the dominant Kilkenny half back line in the semi; Cian Lynch did same in 2023 AI final. I would like to see 2 link players in midfield (Molloy & Kenny) next year, Tommy W replaced by Larry Murphy or a fast corner back for the last 20 mins. Change up the middle third for the last 25 mins. Reposition Mikey B or replace him for the last 20 mins – Peter Casey scored 5 points against both corner backs in 2023.

3. We need more competitive matches before the AI semis. Leinster was too easy. We scored 30 points v Dublin in the LF but 16 v Clare. Leinster games were 24+ points.

4. We need to take more risks with new younger players. They may not be showing up in training but give them responsibility and they will show up in time. Also, the older players seem to know how to get on the LF and AI semi team.

5. Eoin Cody, Adrian Mullen and John Donnelly need to learn more front 8 positions to further develop them.

6. We need a stronger panel with the ability to bring on 8 skillful and strong players like Clare did in the AI final. Also, to change the structure of our play late on to outfox the opposition.

now everyone knows TJ is near his end, where is the contingency plan for another free taker and don’t mention Billy, I don’t think he has the ambition nobody has been lined up last season.On the county board again I thought they got rid of a lot of genuine and regular supporters by pressing people into to buying online instead of bringing it along slowly look at all the revenue lost which would help in employing coaching staff. I really think they waste money in there where they think they are actually saving they are so bad at promoting our games locally I think they could be doing a hell of a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Box to box

It's good to see some lads are back to the happy enough to lose a tight match to the eventual winners. If we were learning from our mistakes every year I wouldn't mind but the team has gone back a bit from the team that lost two years ago and its more or less the same team. This project isn't exactly in its first or 2nd year Infact it won't be long before we'll be looking for replacements in key positions,lots of talk of huw going travelling, if we could only freeze tj every 6 months.We can talk about the club championship and finding players all we want but when push has come to shove the last 2 years no one new has being trusted in the big games. Tactically I think we are poorly coached and when under pressure again revert to route one while being double marked up top. The quality of ball and the puckout/movement is also very poor at times and has improved little over the last few years. You would be hoping if Lyng does stay he will freshen things up in the backroom team. Id be looking at the s&c and getting someone involved who can help with the coaching .The team has regressed and unless lads are trusted and gave experience we will regress further.

Logan is there 5 years to win an all Ireland. Could we wait that long with one man at the helm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 lob it in

You can talk about facilities, S and C,the county board until your blue in the face at the end of the day it's all about Players.Kilkenny are short 3 or 4 top class players to win an All Ireland at the moment,we won 36 All Irelands without facilities, yes coaching S and C and facilities are important now in the modern game but if you don't have the players good enough those thing won't win you an All Ireland.

Jp is pumping money into Limerick for over 20 years or more now and they never won an All Ireland until this current crop of unbelievable players came along.Kilkenny had a golden era from 2000-2015 because we had 15 years of unbelievably talented players constantly coming through. Tipperary are in transition now because the players they have aren't good enough and they've lost alot of their All Ireland wining team.Galway the same.

Next year management will have to go with the younger players(should have started this year) we could be in for a few more lean years but the thing about Kilkenny is hurling is the number one sport in the county and we will always produce good hurlers who will then have to be well coached and looked after from a young age.

Advertisement