Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Why would they produce a policy document on an extremely contentious issue while there are protests and arson attacks taking place? It’s because they knew they had to. Their voter base is deserting them.

Listen, I’m in favour of Mary Lou remaining as the figurehead leader for as long as possible. She’s tired, lacking in energy, sneering, no grasp of detail, incredibly condescending, and just systematic of the wider malaise in SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

BH got his answer to the costing when he first asked the question, then, because it wasn't the answer he was looking for continued to interrupt and talk over her.
    Of course you won't hear that but a quick look on social media shows you it wasn't unheard by many many people.
    When he does the same to a government minister @Brendan Bendar is on here complaining about him too. But sadly can't hear it whenever it's a shinner.
    You guys are hilarious tbh.

SF supporters think it was an unfair interview. Almost everyone else thinks it was a robust and probing interview with the opposition leader on a policy they launched yesterday. It’s the sort of thing that other politicians are subjected to on a daily basis. Her handling of it was appalling though. She also accused Bryan Dobson (!) of being rude last year. She isn’t able for tough interviews. Her place is peering out over her glasses as she reads a speech written by some advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭pureza

I'm going to listen to the interview in a moment if its up and comment

However these migrants have to go somewhere as still as they come in

Big long consultations/reviews and planning queries would cause the mother of all backlogs,its a silly suggestion

Almost everyone else thinks it was a robust and probing interview with the opposition leader on a policy they launched yesterday.

utter nonsense from the get go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭JVince

Philip Boucher Hayes might be sued by Mary Lou for questioning her like that.

How dare he ask where sinn fein will find the additional €60m+ per year for the additional staff and the costs of their pensions and the costs of their offices.

or will it come from the money trees that sinn fein seem to think they can grow?

Their so-called policy on immigration was literally laughable.

"we'll let the people decide is a IPAS centre goes into their town - and if the people say no we'll put it in anyway" - so funny

Listened

To be fair,PBH interjected like a moderator wanting you stay on topic and she waved the you're pro government stick quite agressively

She didnt have a cost for her plans and no idea of the countries to add to the safe list

Total waffle on finding illegals who should have left

'I'm not the minister' the excuse for not costing it

Jeesus mary and joseph

If this radio interview is the way forward for everything else,do you know theres going to be no improvement in SF support,what in the name of God are the strategists thinking,have they simply given up ?

No party vying for government has 'costed' their plans, so PBH went for the easy low hanging fruit that he knew would be clung to by the usual crew.

You can't be putting policies forward without costing them!

One way ticket to trouble that is

I'm afraid I googled SF's historical policy on migrants

The SF website has deleted press releasrs that don't fit in with the new narative

None of the massive pirrouette in this video is untrue,Who finances Gript btw ?

Show us the costed policies of FF and FG and the Greens when they were vying for government then?
    Do they include these spending figures?

I have asked Bobson but he neglected to post links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Not a good look for her to fall at the first hurdle when launching a policy document meant to make their stance clearer.

I didn’t post links because they don’t exist. You know that though. SF didn’t have to publish an immigration policy, but they did. Now their increasingly belligerent leader gets all high and mighty because she was asked for more detail on it. It’s because she wasn’t able to. Now grasp of detail or figures at all. Yet another disastrous display by her. What did she think was going to happen? Time to ditch her and their team of advisors.

Outside of the SF core few will see that interview as anything else but a disaster.

Let me guess, you think she did well? 😂

No, she got no chance to do anything.
    He never let her talk for more than a few seconds without interrupting.

We know it would have been a 'car crash' no matter what she said in the eyes of some. Even those who clearly didn't bother listen to it.

Even Doherty wouldn’t have done so bad a job, and he’s red raw useless at anything involving further detail or costings.

I didn’t post links because they don’t exist. You know that though. SF didn’t have to publish an immigration policy, but they did.

So Boucher hung his whole interview on looking for costings that nobody else produced or was asked for. And you think that was a good interviewer.

Ok.

She said she would double the number of people working in the International Protection office. He asked her how that would be funded. She should have said general taxation and moved on. Instead she got thick. Car crash interview.

Don’t publish a policy on a deeply topical and contentious issue and expect to get a softly softly interview the next day. This woman wants to be Taoiseach. She didn’t prepare and was shown up as a result.

To be fair she wasn't answering questions and was trying to steer the conversation away from the application of their policy.

It's car crash because she wasn't actually asked anything difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The level of aggression attacking anyone who dares say Mary Lou was anything less than stellar is usually directly related to how bad a performance she put up.

Based on the reaction from the party faithful it must have been dire alright.

• Advertisement

Wrong thread

The Whataboutery Index.

Social media strategy isn’t working for them anymore. Out of ideas.

She said costings didn't matter and that fixing a serious problem was the priority when asked and PBH insisted on asking for costings and interrupted continuously when she tried to correct his reading (or lack of) of the document.

She didn't get a chance to outline what the policy actually was and involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I made a donation so I do anyway. Thinking of making another if RTE keep being biased.

He seemed to know her policy document better than she did! He read out quotes from it and she said he was "nit picking".

She didn't want to talk in detail about how the policy would work and he needed to interrupt her to get some sort of detail on it.

Did you hear the bit where PBH made a statement that 'audits were already being carried out' and then point blank refused MLMD the right to contest that opinion?

It happened around 6 minutes in. She had talked about the policy for around 6 minutes at that stage and a pro government quote was all he could come back with and he refused to allow it be contradicted.

Good interview? My foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Costings don't matter? Why does she witter on about the Children's Hospital all the time?

A simple google search provides you with a document that tells you that an EO in the civil service will cost €64,870 a year (all in cost) under the PSC in 2021. Allow that most will be EOs with a sprinkling of higher grades and you can assume €70k. Multiply that by 1,000 new civil servants and you can, in literally ten seconds calculate that the cost of 1,000 civil servants in the IPO will be €70m.

That not a single person in Sinn Fein was able to do that tells you all you need to know about their preparedness for government, their competence in figures and more importantly, their credibility to the electorate.

Long live MLMD as the leader of SF. One modern phenomenon of politics is that leaders have a shorter shelf life. That is why the SDs, Greens and FG have changed leadership. Doesn't apply to parties chasing the older conservative vote like FF. You see the same in the US with the Kamala bounce.

Any links to a 'costed policy' from the party you support blanch?

MLMD actually said that the government already plan to increase staffing to handle a growing amount of of applications. Can you link to where they have costed that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I heard from a friend of mine about the interview, and its done the rounds on Twitter.

MLD it seems gets rattled easily and cant handle hard questions.

The boys in West Belfast may need to replace her. Get the guns out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

She had a car crash interview with Claire Byrne before the local elections.

Maybe it's not the interviewer, but the interviewee who is the problem

Advertisement