Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Well said. Harris in full election mode now -i.e. do-nothing mode.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The Brenner was sitting on a bar stool listening to Emma O'Kelly being interviewed by Rachel English on the News at One.

Rachel asked her quite timidly, I thought ,a rhetorical question like 'Why should the Taxpayer put money into RTE given the profligacy and wastage just experienced'

O'Kelly ignored the question almost totally and straight away I concluded that nothing is going to change out there.

They haven't learned their lesson, the Govt bottled it, they will continue to corn hole John Q Taxpayer and laugh in his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭kazamo

RTE must be delighted with the declared third revenue stream established now.

Licence, Advertising and now a backstop of state funding.

People need to boycott the licence as they are on the hook to fund them through direct taxation anyway.

Rip off Ireland is thriving

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It also shows again how detached this government is from the public mood. They seem to live in a bubble of their own up there. It's well known and evidenced that there is simmering discontent with the licence fee, those who pay, those who don't and the abuse of this money in RTE. Combined with the useless collection system of An Post.

They have an opportunity to grasp the nettle, to lance the boil, an open goal and … they fouk it up. Bottlers.

Maybe RTE is useful to them as an arm of government publicity, a spin machine - if so, let it be funded by the Dept Taoiseach and we'll all be clear then. Did I hear Paschal reported as saying they wouldn't forego the licence as it was a ready means to get money in? For that alone, he or whoever said, should be booted into the Irish Sea. And there should be a mass boycott to tell him to shove his patronising up his whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭jj880

Anyone got a good link that sums up Tubsgate and what followed?

After this sweetheart deal for RTE I wouldn't mind a refresher just to depress myself with the state of regulation / accountability in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The whole thing has gone so far beyond a joke now

€750,000,000…. Like that is an incredible sum on money for a company that runs a few radios stations, 3.5 TV channels and two orchestras.

How is that number justified? How are the likes of TV3 able to survive on their own two feet and RTE are not despite there being a license fee.

And all this on the back drop over a heap of scandal's, missed targets, unfulfilled promises and political hype that never amounts to anything.

Like imagine for example you're a person affected by Mica with the government unwilling to chase the builders or material providers responsible for your house falling apart. Nor will they fully reimburse you. Yet they're prepared to have over 3/4 of a Billion to management in Montrose after they've mismanaged the hell out of it.

It's unbelievable, I do not get why people voted in FF/FG in the last local election. I'm not saying vote for SF but literally anyone would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭jj880

I am 1 of those people. House falling down round me with defective concrete. A house Ive been paying a mortgage on for 16 years. You are 100% correct. It sticks in the craw seeing this shyite going on. Only a few weeks ago Tubs up here in Donegal lumping his cash from RTÉ's slush fund into Muff Liquor that he "wasnt legally compelled" to return.

Im not looking to start a concrete debate but I feel like why the feck did I bother investing in this country by buying a home? There was no regulation. Quarries were allowed operate by councils here based on the CE mark as product insurance. The CE mark allows a 3 year statute of limitations on concrete. Just think about that for a second. 3 years for concrete. Its systemic. RTE is just a very public example at the moment.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

She should be asking management that question not the local head of the NUJ.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Indeed, however O'Kelly is an employee of RTE as far as I know, she is not paid by the NUJ.

She shouldn't have not addressed the obvious question.

I accept your point that management need to come out from under their rock and now that JQtaxpayer is funding them directly, this business of siloing everything has to be brought to an end.

SO FAR VERY LITTLE SIGN OF ANY CHANGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SonicSuper

The government didn't "bottle it". They achieved their goal and just brass necked it out until the scandal died down. Mission accomplished tbh. If the Irish electorate are thick enough to put up with government failing for as long as i am alive then that's their problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭RoTelly

In the TV building, what happened on Friday?

Sadly I wouldn't have been surprised, perhaps that's why its not funny.

Do we think that change the licence fee would have changed the outcome for RTÉ and Dee Frobes?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

One Orchestra, RTÉ lobbied make the NCH take control of the NSO, Cor Na Nog and the Choir. A saving on 7million, which the would have saved in 2021 … vast majority of that saving when to RTÉ ONE … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT%C3%89#Breakdown_of_the_licence_fee

TV3 don't produce as much programming (but I won't start defending RTÉ).

An average hour of TV costs 100,000 (That is a mix of Drama at the high end and Studio programming at the low end). About 3 hours per day. Now RTÉ would need to mix with some cheap programming and some cheap imported programming.

However I highly doubt that RTÉ 1 produce anywhere near 3 hours of TV per day. RTÉ certainly does not.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

100%

Paddy is very forgetful and does not like to be the person forcing/pushing change.

General election in the next 12 months anyway, more than likely all will be forgotten about and we'll get FF/FG again.

Just to get the funding model down : -

2025 : Year 1

€225m Licence Fee and Exchqure funding

Increased in the Broadcasting and Media Funds going to €10m, plus Sound and Vision, bring it to 22.2m in 2025, I assume the extra 12.2m comes from the €255m

2026 and 2027 RTÉ funding increases to 240m and then to 260m

You think they'd have announced 2023 and 2024 funding.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Oxo Moran

I think a massive need to make cut backs at top level would have helped the everyday staff and public know there was accountability and consequences.

Scrap the licence, give them the budget to run one station and one radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Shan Doras

What exactly are the "Broadcasting and Media Funds" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I bought my TV off my mate who moved here from Scotland. It is a smart TV but doesnt have saorview and therefore I can not access RTE television and so I do not have a TV license.

With its inability to pick up TV signals, if I was (somehow) legally directed to get a TV license, I would throw it into the black bin, and go out and buy a 42" monitor. The more people who similar, eventually RTE will have to change.

There was some spoofer on with Pat Kenny earlier who was saying that license purchases are down 20% since Tubsgate, but that this decision should bring license uptake back to normal levels. I burst out laughing wondering "Based on what?". The trust remains gone. Why would anyone pay 160 a year while that trust is absent.

What goal did they achieve as a matter of interest??

Sound and Vision which was originally funded via the licence fee, this was increased during covid using exchequer funding.

Also there is a small fund for News media, across broadcast, online, local, national and print, again started during covid.

The Dept of Foreign Affairs also have a small fund, if you see VMTV in the US you know they are using DFA money to fund the trip, RTÉ have 3 correspondents from this fund.

On corresponedents and Emma Kelly, how did their Washington correspondent do during all the happenings in the US?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Fair City … hopefully the private company takes a hatchet to the production costs.

Theres old geezers still getting that gig. eg. Eamon Morrissey.

Lets see new talent and storylines that are relevant to modern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Jaysus Catherine Martin must have been awful if even government spokesperson and Mr Angry Fionnan Sheehan is saying it was an "abject performance".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

They could have a storyline where the old paint factory in Carrickstown burns down and the Gardai get attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Emma O'Kelly should be the first to be made redundant. She does nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

and don’t forget “missing in action” George Lee!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You can guarantee 750m is only the start of it too, we have seen with every expenditure this government makes they run way over. RTE will be back with the paw out and the exchequer will oblige.

It's a sickening amount of money for something most of us couldn't care less about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Why would anyone pay it when the government is going to top it up anyway.

It is in effect double taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭Tow

They may be in new building, I know they are a 'walk' from the old studios. They had Crowdstrike on installed the studio PCs, so they were out of of action.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

And in response to the massive financial scandal at RTE , the Irish government have decided to give the broadcaster three quarters of a billion 🤣🤣

If it wasn't obvious to everyone before that RTE is the government's propaganda wing I hope it's crystal clear now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No changes whatsoever. Massive failures and falling ratings and Catherine Martin gives even more money to RTE.

Advertisement